The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 31, 2013, 04:43 AM   #26
kcub

bright blue Italian made Beretta 84 BB (or 81 BB if you prefer .32 to .380) with it's rounded trigger guard, a drop dead sexy pistol (which is just what the Python is)

Last edited by kcub; July 31, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:06 AM   #27
Sight Unseen

I agree with stormyone on the P7, especially the 13 rounder.
Old July 31, 2013, 10:53 AM   #28
budd

The next Python ???

Guys,

The Python is a classic and a REVOLVER. I think we should only consider REVOLVERS. I vote for the classic 686 Smith.

V/R

J. Budd
Old August 1, 2013, 02:09 AM   #29
stormyone

<<<Guys,

The Python is a classic and a REVOLVER. I think we should only consider REVOLVERS. I vote for the classic 686 Smith.

V/R

J. Budd>>>

The OP didn't say only revolvers.

<<<By that I mean a gun that gets even more popular AFTER it is discontinued to the point that it achieves near mythical status>>>
Old August 1, 2013, 02:34 AM   #30
Falcon642

Quote:
Guys,

If I only wanted to talk about revolvers, I would have posted this in the revolver forum. Notice the example I gave, the Beretta 84, is a semi-auto.

Here's one way to look at the topic:

There isn't a one of us that doesn't wish we could go back to 1995 and buy entire shipments of Pythons so we could sell them later at a major profit. So in 10-15 yrs, which guns are we wishing we would have bought NOW and held onto because they will be obscenely valuable later.
Old August 1, 2013, 02:42 AM   #31
armsmaster270

The Dan Wesson has already achieved cult status. I like the Trooper Mk III idea I wish I had not sold mine S/N J 2880. But I do have 2 586 no dash's a 4" & 6"

Then there is the Colt 1911

Or the original Colt Detective Spl.

Last edited by armsmaster270; August 1, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old August 1, 2013, 11:24 AM   #32
aarondhgraham

Quote:
...and now that they've (Cheetahs) been discontinued I could see them becoming quite popular (not Python-level popular, but a definite jump).
This could be true,,,
I own a used 85BB and a new 87,,,
In the last couple of months I have been offered more than I paid for them.

As soon as something becomes unavailable,,,
People come out of the woodwork wanting one of them.

Aarond

P.S. I'm hanging on to my MK-III Troopers.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 1, 2013, 12:22 PM   #33
BigJimP

I agree with the comments on Freedom Arms single action revolvers....if they ever quit making guns...( and boy would that be sad ) ...

( I have mine - in a premier grade, 4 3/4" barrel ) ....but I can see them becoming a long term classic - if they ever go out of business.

-------------------
Although the prices are less ...the S&W model 27's ( the older versions especially ) even though they are still making them with the internal frame locks, mim parts, etc ...have a very dedicated following ...and collectors. Personally I like the S&W model 27's better than the Colt Pythons...
Old August 1, 2013, 01:06 PM   #34
mrray13

When I think of things currently in production, I can't really see anything standing out to the point that they'll achieve Python levels , or Luger, of "gotta have". Most everything produced today is geared around dethroning the Glock, or another 1911. Or making polymer revolvers.

The only production anything I can think of that might one day be craved for more after it's discontinued is the Rhino. But more for it's unusual layout vs the handfitting/finish of the Python.

I think the Sig P210, an early model, is near Python status. And just because of what it is, if the Desert Eagle ever went out of production, I think those would be contenders.
Old August 1, 2013, 01:09 PM   #35
F5guy

What gun is the next Python?

Hi Standard no question.
Old August 1, 2013, 04:53 PM   #36
m&p45acp10+1

I had the chance to fire, and admire a Colt Combat Elite .45 ACP. I think they only made them for a year or two. The marketing was not there. It had the very best out of the box DA/SA trigger pull of any semiauto that has ever been in my hand. From what I hear the Officer's Double Eagle was right up there with it. Bad marketing, and the "Wonder 9" craze were just too much.

I long for the day I have the money on me, and someone just does not know what they have.

Other than that I think it would take a super popular video game having what ever it be of a no longer produced gun to make it that popular. Resident Evil turned a lot of youngsters on to the Python.
Old August 3, 2013, 12:00 PM   #37
Bezoar

metaba
medusa

basically anything unusual and exotic. That 357 mag top break from russia fits the bill.

usfa will be high priced for a long time, but its still a high grade colt saa. Everybody seems to be making something like that these days.
Old August 3, 2013, 01:01 PM   #38
saleen322

Quote:
Hi Standard no question.
Love the High Standards but the prettiest and most accurate ones ever made and the current production models. They are hard to find but still in production.

Quote:
Dan Wesson revolvers?
+1 and can't argue with that. The DW revolvers are bringing more money used than they ever did new. The price and demand just keeps going up.
Old August 4, 2013, 12:23 AM   #39
chez323

Colt King Cobra....... very nice gun, just not as much attention as the Python has.

Last edited by chez323; August 4, 2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old August 4, 2013, 12:51 AM   #40
Chowder

Quote:
bright blue Italian made Beretta 84 BB (or 81 BB if you prefer .32 to .380) with it's rounded trigger guard, a drop dead sexy pistol (which is just what the Python is)
While I don't know enough about this pistol to agree that it will be the next python, I have to agree that this is one sexy pistol. I have only been in the firearms enthusiast category for about 5 years now and I sometimes love the fact that I am a relative "newb" as I am still discovering new and great firearms that I want to own .

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com
Old August 4, 2013, 11:18 PM   #41
FM12

S&W L frames or maybe the S&W M 27.
Old August 4, 2013, 11:24 PM   #42
ozo

This is too funny !

[hidden: Python vs ANY .380]
Old August 5, 2013, 07:50 AM   #43
MJFlores

To me it seems that the Anaconda has more desire and mystique about it than the Python, although both were and are fine weapons. Hollywood always drives desire for items. Doesn't the main character of the Walking Dead carry an Anaconda? I don't think either will surpass Americas love affair for the Smith and Wesson model 29. It's been dropped twice and brought back because the public simply wont allow it to disappear. You can thank Harry Callahan for that!

A lot of what gets in our hearts regarding guns is pure luck of the times too. Mel Gibson's character in the Lethal Weapon movies carried a 92F, but I don't recall the movies causing the popularity of the 92F to surge quite like the good ole Model 29 N frame did through out the 70's and 80's.

Interestingly, someone could cast "The Rock" in a 3 series movie roll as a tough guy who carries an LCP and the American love affair with the LCP would begin LOL. Some would argue it already has...and it's doing it on it's own merits. You can thank luck of the times and price for that I believe...and it's also a darn nice little gun.
Old August 5, 2013, 11:28 PM   #44
stormyone

<<<To me it seems that the Anaconda has more desire and mystique about it than the Python>>>

Dude, that is just crazy talk.
Old August 6, 2013, 07:52 AM   #45
MJFlores

It's important to note the first two words of my sentence, and your quote of it. "To me". The word "To" coupled with "me" refer to one's opinion and nothing more. There's nothing absolute inferred here, or global in nature. It's simply an expression of ones opinion.
Old August 6, 2013, 10:50 AM   #46
micromontenegro

Quote:
Doesn't the main character of the Walking Dead carry an Anaconda?
AFAIK, he carries a Python.
Old August 6, 2013, 10:57 AM   #47
MJFlores

Gotcha, if Colt was smart they'd re-release the Python then in the same configuration as the one on the show...they'd probably sell a boat load of them. I mean, look at Hornady's Zombie Max? Even Gerber cashed in on their Zombie knives. Then again, kudos to Colt for not sleezing up the reputation of a nice revolver.
Old August 6, 2013, 11:18 AM   #48
ragwd

I dont think there will ever be another Python, just too iconic. if that is a word. Why would they not put it back into production knowing they could make a fortune on them ? Long ago a good friend had a Python , beautiful revolver. Ran into him a few weeks back after not seeing him for almost 20 years, asked him if he still had it, he had a extended hospital stay, and wife had to sell his stuff to survive, she had no idea what it was worth. I almost cried.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:41 PM   #49
Sevens

Quote:
Why would they not put it back into production knowing they could make a fortune on them ?
Ahhh, if only it were that easy.

The amount of money it would take simply to produce the hardware to assemble a new Python would be mindblowing in the extreme, and that says absolutely nothing about the hand fitting and work that goes in to making them what they are... and even that doesn't describe the polishing process that is the largest part of how they look.

Suffice to say, they'd have to sell a LOT to simply "put it back in to production" and the cost for that venture goes in before any of them get sold.

You would be more likely to see what ends up being "bleeecccchhh, that's a 'new' Python, who wants THAT?!" if they ever went anywhere with such a project.
Old August 6, 2013, 12:46 PM   #50
Microgunner

Korth revolvers are already legendary and will continue to appreciate.