The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 28, 2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Falcon642

What gun is the next Python?

By that I mean a gun that gets even more popular AFTER it is discontinued to the point that it achieves near mythical status.

I'll throw one out there, I think the Beretta Cheetah could go that way. I think the Cheetah is the finest .380 pistol ever made, and now that they've been discontinued I could see them becoming quite popular (not Python-level popular, but a definite jump).

Any other candidates come to mind?
Old July 28, 2013, 07:21 PM   #2
JohnO

Have you ever shot a Python? It was pretty damn popular while it was being produced. It's not more popular now. You just get to here from more people that can't have one.
Old July 28, 2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

How dare you ask us to find a handgun that could possibly reach the mythical status of the Python. Hephaestus himself couldn't forge a weapon to match the Colt Python....or so I've heard.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Sevens

Look for a company that:
--makes a fantastic product
--has some manner of a shaky business or operational plan
and
--falls on it's face or otherwise shoots itself in the foot
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:24 PM   #5
jimbob86

Coonan.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old July 28, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Sevens

I worry exactly that sometimes.
Old July 29, 2013, 08:37 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

I believe it will be the Colt Trooper,,,

I believe it will be the Colt Trooper,,,
Both the original and the Mk-III will gain collectability.

I've already seen quite a jump in prices over the last two years,,,
Since Colt ain't makin' any of them any more,,,
Every DA-SA Colt revolver will rise in price.

Or were you talking about shoot-ability?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 29, 2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Budda

Any Colt DA.

And the S&W 586 L-Comp no lock..... Well I want one more than a Python.
Old July 29, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
nstoolman1

jimbob86
Quote:
Coonan.

I like your thinking.
Now I have both.
Old July 29, 2013, 08:15 PM   #10
skoro

S&W 3913

Old July 29, 2013, 08:27 PM   #11
TennJed

Quote:
Look for a company that:
and
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python
USFA Single Actions. Some consider them the finest SA ever made and of course we know the USFA is going down with the zip gun nonsense
Old July 29, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
ripnbst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Look for a company that:
and
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python.
How does this fit Colt (Python) at all?
Old July 29, 2013, 09:49 PM   #13
40-82

I shot several Pythons, and I never was that impressed. The actions of the few I shot were rough. Then I got a chance to shoot one that had been correctly tuned, and I completely changed my mind. There is no reason why a Python couldn't be as outstanding as any other Colt, since it has the same 1908 lock work only on a 41 caliber frame, but the production Python always seemed to me usually to have a better external fit and finish with less attention to the internal lock work.

To answer the question, the pinned and recessed Smiths are probably already becoming a classic, maybe the Series '70 Colt 1911 too, but it occurs to me now that you are referring to guns exactly as they are in current production. I don't know.
Old July 29, 2013, 09:58 PM   #14
dstyle47

I say the mateba is going that way. I used to want one because it was usual (as automatic revolvers tend to be). The price just seems to keep climbing. When I first looked at them gunbroker prices were around 2k, one sold recently for 9k. While I am 100% positive that was a fluke (prob two headhunters with a reaaal high budget), the price of them has staggered me recently.
Old July 29, 2013, 09:59 PM   #15
tgstoken

Old July 29, 2013, 10:25 PM   #16
EdInk

FN produced BHPs.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:38 AM   #17
4V50 Gary
Staff

S & W 586/686.
Old July 30, 2013, 02:00 AM   #18
silvermane_1

IMHO it's the Coonan, but they're still making Coonans, but would also go with Medusa Revolver too, because you can put any ammo that is a 9mm cal through 357 cal.
Ruger:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlin: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfeild:XD .357sig 4",CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63
Old July 30, 2013, 03:47 AM   #19
Sevens

Quote:
How does this fit Colt (Python) at all?
I think it fits tremendously well.

You've got Colt -- the legendary gun maker. To even begin to describe their imprint on history would take volumes, so obviously, they've made a couple lifetimes worth of phenomenal products.

Shaky business plan-- quite obvious in the 80s with their labor issues and their failure to rise above those problems.

Falls on it's face... not quite, but they sure tried. This is the company that almost entirely got out of the single action revolver market because their machinery was moved outdoors and rusted. Probably an awful big help to Ruger in the early days.

Shot themselves in the foot?! Bigtime, when they decided that the only thing that really mattered was to focus on military contracts. When every other gun maker blasted out of the 80s and in to the 90s trying to follow Glock's lead, what was Colt doing? And who are all the big players in the biggest category in handguns (by far) here in the year 2013? Well... Colt isn't. They still have their name and the phenomenal popularity of the 1911 in the last 10 years may be the -ONLY- reason Colt even still produces any product for the civilian market.

To have something make a meteoric rise like the Python did, it has to be one heckuva a good gun, much loved and for good reason, just like the Python. But it's a strange setting when a company can make something that good, that high quality, and that loved-- and then find themselves in a position where their only real option is to shut it down and end it entirely.

So to find the next Python, in the way the OP outlined the thread, you'll (IMO), need those elements. Otherwise, it's unlikely that a company pushing a wildly successful product will simply end production of it.

A special shout out to Smith & Wesson, who gave it a heck of a shot during the Clinton years... with regards to shooting themselves in the foot.
Old July 30, 2013, 11:07 AM   #20
jmr40

I don't see anything in production that will match the Python as a desireable gun to own. The Python was a gun lusted after by many, but priced out of the reach by most when in it's day, thus fewer were made. From a performance perspective it is probably over rated. I never really wanted one, but understood the appeal. I just don't see anything fitting into that niche today.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #21
Budda

There were thousands and thousands of pythons made. While nice and lusty, they are not all that rare.
Old July 30, 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
mooner

Dan Wesson revolvers?
Old July 30, 2013, 08:13 PM   #23
Winchester_73

Its a tough question...some good answers offered so far. Its hard to pick something that matches the gun in all regards, but has also not yet hit Python status. I was going to mention the Colt Diamondback, BUT, its already "there" in a sense.

For a gun to reach the Python's status in today's world, it would logically have to go toe to toe, so to speak, with all of the traits that make the Python what it is today. There really isn't a pistol that has a similiar story to the Python. Some revolvers such as the Registered Magnum, the Colt SAA, etc are also very legendary, but they have been for a long time. The "next" Python would have to be a gun that doesn't have a lot of status at this time, but could down the road attain a lot of status. I can't think of anything.

This topic reminds me of a fellow collector friend of mine who has said "Japanese Nambus will be the next lugers..." and well, lets just say the Nambu is hardly in the same sentence. There really isn't another "luger" and there really can't be, when you think about it. I told him, after he said it to me enough for me to be annoyed, that the P38 has a much better chance to approach "luger status" but even then, the luger has a few things about it that can never be taken away, IE how early the design was, it was offered up with the 9mm luger caliber itself, service in two world wars, its unique action, etc. Of course the P38 has a great history itself, but I'm not sure there could ever be another "luger" although the 1911, certainly has a very admirable history itself.
Old July 30, 2013, 10:34 PM   #24
KyJim

I'm thinking a Freedom Arms Premiere revolvers (maybe the Field Grade as well). Not that many made each year. Considered perhaps the finest Single Action revolver made. If Freedom Arms ever went out of business, the average Joe couldn't touch these revolvers.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:10 AM   #25
stormyone

HK P7