The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #51
Mystro

Bushmaster,....You knocked it out of the park. Even the 4x Leupold is correct.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old August 21, 2013, 09:40 PM   #52
Bushmaster1313

Quote:
Bushmaster,....You knocked it out of the park. Even the 4x Leupold is correct.
Thanks
I sent a picture to the Jack O'Conner Foundation and they liked it.
I would like to get a picture of my .270 next to the original.
Since taking the photos the deck has been refinished
Old August 22, 2013, 06:48 AM   #53
Mystro

Obviously, I am a student of the Jack O'Connor philosophy and have read all his books. I highly recomend others to read at least one of JOC books. This guy was so far ahead of his time in the way he approached hunting and calibers.
"The Hunting Rifle" would be the book to read. Pick up a copy at Ebay or Amazon. This is the book that opened my eyes to the JOC philosophy. It should be required reading for all rifle hunters. Its a fun easy read and discusses all calibers and aspect of hunting with the rifle. For a book written 42 years ago, it is strangely in touch with everything that is going on today. As much as the shooting industry likes to say they are cutting edge, you will see nothing much has changed in 42 years. It will give you great petspective.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; August 22, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old August 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #54
Mystro

Needed to upgrade the optics on my predator rifle so I moved my Docter scope to it and upgraded the JOC rifles optics..
The JOC rifle now wears Leupold's new top of the line VX6 series in 3x18 44mm with custom CDS and Firedot. Build quality and finish is top shelf all the way. Nothing plastic on the VX6, aluminum with rubber eyepiece. It certainly sets a new high end optic bar at Leupold being their halo scope. Clarity and eye relief is ridiculous. Field of view is wide and crisp from edge to edge on any power while retaining long eye relief. I chose the fine duplex Firedot. The illuminated Firedot is very clever. It is easily adjustable in brightness and doesn't create any residual reflection of light in the scope. The dot brightness can be dimmed to almost imperceptible low light use. It also has a motion sensor in it that turns off if the scope isnt moved for 5 minutes. It instantly comes back on with the slightest movement. You can even program the order the Firedot changes in brightness. Leupold will also make you a free CDS turret for the exact load and bullet you are using figuring many ballistic factors. They then custom laser engrave the turret for your scope. Turrets are easily interchangeable. It seems to be outstanding in about every thing you could ever want in a optic. My eyes give it a equal match with the Swarovski Z6 3x18 in optics but I preferred the Luepold's design and layout better. My gut thinks the Leupold will be a tougher scope. All things considered the Leupold VX6 sets a new high standard for Leupold optics, competing with and bettering scopes costing 2-3x in money.. IMO.

Last edited by Mystro; August 29, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old September 23, 2013, 07:30 AM   #55
Magnum Wheel Man

Well... I have the opportunity to buy one of these... I may just have to go out on a limb & get it...

my local dealer has one... not the top grade, but the 2nd level one... price is high, but he's willing to take multiple trades... I suggested a partial trade with my complete 11-48 collection, & he was open for that, & if I had anything else, he'd take that too, so I might be able to get the rifle down to a price I can afford...

I have a ton of 270 components, & traded off my old Herters rifle a while back, with the intention of buying another bolt action 270... I don't have a Winchester 70, so I'm pretty interested...

what are you guys seeing for prices on lower grade Tribute rifles ???
Old September 23, 2013, 09:40 AM   #56
Mystro

The only difference is the recoil pad and Grade 4 verses Grade 3 French walnut. No one I have talked to can tell the wood apart other than to say they are the nicest they have ever seen. If you can find one locally, buy it. You won't be disappointed. Prices are all over starting at MSRP and seem be going up. Forget about a discount, it wont happen because there is only a small amount of these guns produced. Factor in Winchester and the JOC Center agreed this is the ONLY tribute gun to be ever produced by Winchester and was done especially for the aniversary of the Model 70 so ALOT of stars aligned to make this a very very special rifle.
A average feather weight M70 made in SC is extremely hard to get. Many have been looking on several forums. A JOC Custom Shop Feather Weight in 270 is as rare as it gets. It will only go up in value regardless how you look at it. So a gun you can actually hunt with that will appreciate is a no brainer. The demand will only increase over time. The only down fall is the initial cost $$$$ of admission.

Last edited by Mystro; September 23, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old September 23, 2013, 09:50 AM   #57
Magnum Wheel Man

This particular rifle has pretty plain wood ( compared to those pictured ) but I also intend to shoot it on nice days... I don't remember if the floor plate was engraved on this one or not... MRS. MAG was there with me, & I was trying not to look too interested, since she looked at the price tag & dropped her jaw...
Old September 23, 2013, 09:55 AM   #58
Mystro

How can you not hunt with a Jack O'Connor gun.?? It was engraved if it was a tribute gun. It has a satin oil rubbed stock so you can easily bring out the grain more with a quick rub.

The engraving is incredibly detailed and you need a magnifying glass to see it all.

Old September 23, 2013, 09:58 AM   #59
Magnum Wheel Man

as said... I had to feign lack of interest... it had the name on the trigger guard, so I'm sure it's one of the 2 levels of JOC guns... with the plainer wood, I assume it's the lower grade...
Old September 25, 2013, 11:27 AM   #60
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Several posts have disappeared. Anyone posting in this thread needs to revisit the OP and stay on topic. Your personal dislike of Jack O'Connor is not the topic.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:42 AM   #61
Mystro

Thanks Brian, I dont want to see this thread locked up after so much great information was exchanged.

Old September 25, 2013, 06:31 PM   #62
G-town Hunter

Jack O'connor was once asked after he had retired from writing, if he had to choose one caliber to do everything.. What would it be... His reply was to make no mistake that his favorite caliber was the .270, but if he had to pick one todo everything.... It would be the .30-06.
Old September 25, 2013, 09:28 PM   #63
Mystro

I have every one of JOC books and I can't find that implication anywhere. Where can I find it? That is a significant statement and I would want in in my JOC collection.

Last edited by Mystro; September 25, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 07:23 AM   #64
Magnum Wheel Man

Well... I cleaned up my Remy 11-48 & Mossy 500 collections, & videoed them last night, & am going in to deal on that JOC Winchester today... will let you guys know if I get enough in estimated trade in for the shottie collections to be able to afford the Winny
Old September 26, 2013, 08:50 AM   #65
Mystro

That is huge news. I would think the dealer would deal because not alot of customers can drop that much coin on one gun. It might play to your advantage. Does your wife know or are you going to casually mention it after the deal is done??? As a happily married man with a large gun collection and expensive hobbies, there are several successful strategies I have employed over the years.

Last edited by Mystro; September 26, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old September 26, 2013, 11:58 AM   #66
Magnum Wheel Man

just came back to work, with a lay away slip in my wallet... I got what I wanted for the shottie collections, & only have to pay cash about what an average ( not nice ) bolt action sells for... see... big smile

so today, I looked it over better... yes the floor plate is engraved, but black, rather than silver ( sorry... I looked again at those pics, & it was just light reflecting ) like in the previous pics... mine has the rubber recoil pad...

so this is my 1st Winchester Model 70, are these controlled round feed ???

... actually MRS MAG & I talked about it after we left the gunshop the 1st time... she was mad... ... not that I was going to buy the gun, but that I kiddingly acted like I needed her permission in front of the owner & a buddy that was there with us... I'm a very lucky guy, I'm "reasonably" responsible with my money, & the major bread winner, so I can basically buy anything I "really" want to buy, as long as I can actually afford it

I'd best keep her happy though... ( she's a better shot than I am )

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 26, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:40 PM   #67
Mystro

Very special congratulation...... Its a big deal, like buying a brand new Rolls Royce.. Your gun has everything including the control feed. The action is butter and will push and extract your shell out as fast or as slow as you want. Its practically silent. Once the newness has wore off, you will feel comfortable shooting and hunting with it. Your not a rookie so you know how not to damage it in the in the field. The French walnut is oil rubbed and extremely hard so it doesn't show marks but even if you fall with it and make a mark, a quick rub of oil will make all scratches disappear. Its made to be hunted with and shot. That was one of the biggest request when this rile was commissioned between the JOC center and Winchester. They didn't want just another glass case trophy gun.
Now set a little bit of money aside for the limited custom case designed for the JOC rifle through the JOC center and Winchester. It is a custom embroidered Boyt case that looks like it came out of JOC safari trip. There is a special redeeming slip you get with your rifle that requires the serial number because everyone of these guns are numbered and accounted for for these cases. Now the optics..... FYI...JOC only used Leupold on his 270.

Its good you play the game with your wife. I do the same thing.
What if she shoots it and falls in love with it......

I keep mine in my office so I can look at it when I am not shooting it.

Last edited by Mystro; September 26, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 01:49 PM   #68
Magnum Wheel Man

got any pics of your case ( didn't notice are they in the pics earlier in the thread ??? ) I'll have to do a search & see what they look like...

normally I'm not a big saver of boxes & the like, & now that I have my walk in gun safe room, nearly complete, maybe I can find some other place for the boxes & stuff, but having a rather large collection complicates saving the boxes & such from everything...

in fact, I used to store a couple rifles in hard cases, & last years gun show that I sell at, I sold almost all of my hard cases...

it'll be nice to get rid of those 7 shotguns, that I'd likely never shoot... they take up a lot of space, & I've had to store my 4 muzzleloaders in one of my old gun lockers, outside the gun room... now I'll have room for them on the gun rack in the gun room
Old September 26, 2013, 01:53 PM   #69
Mystro

I have not taken any picks of the case but I will. Keep every thing as a collectors item. It matters down the road. The owners manual is custom printed just for this rifle. Even the certificate for the gun case can be copied and used as not to mark up the original voucher. The JOC center recommended copying it as to not break up all the certificates. That says something doesnt it....

Old September 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #70
Magnum Wheel Man

just spent 10-15 minutes searching the www looking for a picture of the case... lots of references that it won't ship with the rifle ( on the higher grade rifle ) but no pics anywhere???
Old September 26, 2013, 02:20 PM   #71
Mystro

Jack O'connor Tribute Gun Case

Here ya go. These are rarer than the gun and I think I am the only one that has ever posted a pic of it. Most searches of this gun come to this thread.

Last edited by Mystro; September 26, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #72
Magnum Wheel Man

Awesome... thanks...

... & right now I'm looking through 4.5-14X Vari X 3's in the $500-$700 dollar range

unfortunately, I'm in a big scope buying mode, so the rifle on lay away is pretty far down the list... I can maybe move it up to 4th on the list... I still don't have a scope on my Remy 100th anniversary 700 yet... I'm thinking a silver Nikon Pro Staff 5 in 3.5 - 14X for that gun, since it's fluted, jeweled & engraved stainless with the nice wood & Ebony stock...

the JOC rifle is going to look so nice on the wall just above the Remy ( smaller calibers on top... not playing favorites )

BTW... I think this is the most expensive rifle I've ever bought
Old September 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #73
NWPilgrim

Oh man, what a great thread! Mystro, thanks for taking the time to post such great photos and give background info. I never read any of O-Connor's books or articles but no one can dispute the Win M70 Featherweight in .270 is a fine hunting rifle for North America game and classic.

I was raised on the .30-06 and normally would not consider an "almost the same" caliber, but dang this is quite an opportunity. This rifle would make it worth adding a .270. That seems to me like a very good price for custom shop work, and a one time collector item. Glad you will be taking this to the field.

Magnum, if you want to be nice to your wife and she sews, there are some good sewing machines in the $3k-$6k price range. My wife loves her Baby Lock. New guns are referred to as 1/3 the price of your sewing machine...

I wonder if I could get my S&W M29 4" embellished by their custom shop as a Keith tribute to go with this O'Connor tribute? That would be quite a hunting combo!
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 26, 2013, 02:37 PM   #74
Mystro

Thank you, JOC talks about the 270,280,30-06 almost universally calling them the 3 sisters. My father-in law is a 06 guy but he even admitted that JOC rifle in any other caliber is just wrong. The rifle is the star with the caliber of 270 second. If JOC was a die hard 30-06 or 280 shooter and it was his pet caliber instead of the 270, I would buy the Tribute rifle in that caliber without second thought.

Old September 26, 2013, 02:39 PM   #75
Magnum Wheel Man

PILGRIM... MRS has 5 sewing machines, including a quilting table...

her favorite wasn't the most expensive... but...

this is what it looked like before the local custom painter painted roses & her name on it

Fully reconditioned, custom, 1949 Singer Feather Weight, that she takes to all the quilt retreats, because it's so light

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; September 26, 2013 at 03:08 PM.