The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 29, 2013, 11:53 PM   #1
TheBigO

Kesselrings Losing FFL

I have not been on the forum in awhile but according to Kesselring's Facebook page they are having to surrender their FFL sometime in October of this year. They are selling inventory at a discount.

I understand that they will try to continue to do business as a sporting goods store not selling firearms however I personally don't think that they will be able to make it. I was not a huge fan of Kesselrings however they are a local institution when it comes to firearms and it makes me sad to see a store like this lose its FFL.

I do not know the reason they are having to surrender their FFL and wont go spreading rumors on the matter, I am sure that will follow here. What I do wonder is how a business like this that has been operating for so long screwed up to get it yanked from them like this.
Old July 30, 2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Clark

Sorry to hear that.
Kesselring's has been a Mecca for the Pacific NorthWest.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old July 31, 2013, 11:11 AM   #3
kilimanjaro

I wonder if they can make it without gun sales, too.

Word is they failed two ATF inventory audits.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
thallub

The BATFE is allowing the store to sell off its inventory. A family member will sell guns at a his new firing range when that facilty opens.

http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/k...8acc23bfa.html

Theres a local guy at this link who seems to know some of the details. Among other things, he says the FFL was never transferred to the family member who was operating the store:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...rerams-license
Old July 31, 2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

All we can do is speculate, unless someone wants to file a FOIA request. According to Kesselrings, part of the deal with the ATF was not discussing the circumstances. I'm not sure if I buy that, but it's obvious they're not talking.

This is a good reminder to FFL's that the BATFE is out there conducting inspections, and that even the smallest, most seemingly insignificant violations can have consequences.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6
g.willikers

Couldn't they continue selling muzzle loaders, or does that require some kind of license, too?
Old August 3, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7
sc928porsche

In order to buy and sell firearms as a business, you must have an FFL. If you are going to repair firearms as a business, you must have an FFL. As far as I know, the same thing applies to ammunition.
Old August 3, 2013, 12:47 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
sc928porsche In order to buy and sell firearms as a business, you must have an FFL. If you are going to repair firearms as a business, you must have an FFL. As far as I know, the same thing applies to ammunition.
No license is required to sell ammunition. (an 06 or 07 is required if you manufacture and sell)

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)