The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 24, 2013, 12:04 PM   #1
cubsfan

Comparable bullet to Speer GDHP?

I started my reloading with 9mm luger and the first powders I acquired were Bullseye and Power Pistol. The bullets I have are Berry's 124 Gr HBFP, Berry's 115 gr RN and Precision Delta 124Gr FMJ. In lead, I have MBC 124Gr RN and Dardas 124Gr RN. I have found a few good loads for the lead bullets.
My uncertainty, (since I'm relatively new at this) is from the fact that in the Alliant manual for 9mm Luger the only bullet they list is the Speer GDHP in various weights. Are any of the bullets I have comparable to the GDHP to the extent that I could use the load data from Alliant? Or, better yet, is there a source that compares bullets that would give me the confidence to use a bullet different than the manual calls out?
Thanks in advance.
Old July 24, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
SL1

Speer Gold Dots are a little "different" in a couple of important ways.

First, they are often shorter (more blunt) than same weight bullets, which means that they leave more space behind the bullet for the powder when loaded to the same over-all length as many other bullets. That means that substituting a longer bullet in data developed with Gold Dot bullets will often give a higher pressure.

Second, they are actually very thickly-plated bullets that are treated pretty much like jacketed bullets so far as crimping, pressure and velocity tolerance are concerned. So, don't think that bullets with much thinner plating from Ranier or Berry's are equivalent. But, Gold Dots do seem to be a little easier to engrave with the rifling than true jacketed bullets, so substituting a jacketed bullet in Gold Dot data may raise pressure for this additional reason, as well as the length issue.

Bullseye and Power Pistol are both excellent choices for loading 9mm, so there is lots of data for them in manuals and on the Internet sites of the powder (and some bullet) manufacturers. However, that particular powder manufacturer only lists max loads. You need to reduce those loads by 10% and then work-up toward max while checking for signs that pressures could be excessive. If substituting bullets, it is a good idea to figure out how the change in bullet changes the powder space and adjust the "start" and "max" loads accordingly before starting.

Substituting components in the 9mm is a touchy practice because it has such a small powder space and a relatively high working pressure. It is best to understand what the pressure effects are likely to be for whatever substitution you need to make, and then start with the lowest "start" charge in the various (not all in agreement) manuals and work-up the load carefully.

Unfortunately, most of the bullets that you listed don't have pressure-tested data supplied for them. If you pick a bullet that you want to use and the powder, we can give you some guidance here. We will need to know how long your chosen bullet is, to the nearest thousandth of an inch, and how long you intend to make the cartridge. Then, we can compare that to manuals that we have and perhaps use a program called QuickLOAD to suggest safe starting charges.

SL1
Old July 24, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
serf 'rett

I have not used Bullseye powder, but I have loaded over 7500 Berry’s 115 grain RN, MO Bullet 124 grain RN Smallball and Berry’s 124 grain HBFP primarily with W-231, Unique and Power Pistol powders. When I started there was some confusion on my part due to the lack of load information for these bullets; therefore, the reload maxim of “start low and carefully work up” was applied. Different series were loaded and tested for grouping. Adjustments were made and loads retested. Testing is the operative word with these bullets, because the load data is scarce.

You must understand that what may be good in my pistols, may not be good in your pistols. The 115 grain Berry’s RN presented no reloading problem and were tested with 5.4 to 6.2 grains of Power Pistol with OAL of 1.120”, R-P brass and CCI 500 primers. Where I quickly encountered a problem was loading the 124 Berry’s HBFP and the 124 MO Smallball. Both of these bullet profiles are wide; therefore, when I attempted to load them at 1.120”, I found the bullet would come in contact with the lands in the chamber before the case headspaced on the case mouth. My Springfield XDm chamber required a reduction in the OAL to set the bullet back enough to allow the case mouth to headspace. With the 124 Berry’s HBFP, my tested OAL was 1.070” which allowed a “jump” of approximately 0.015”. With the lead 124 MO Smallball, I tested at 1.100”; however, the bullet was actually in slight contact with the lands at this length, as I chose to not allow a setback distance with this being a lead bullet.

I mention the above in case you have a pistol with a “short” chamber like my Springfield. You would do well to double check and make sure the bullets are not contacting the lands before the case mouth seats on the chamber counter bore.

With 124 grain Berry’s bullets and 124 grain MO Bullet Smallball, Power Pistol did produce very good groups, which were closest to point of aim, but had higher perceived recoil in my pistols. The accurate W-231 load was soft shooting, an excellent target load, but wouldn’t make IDPA power factor. The accurate Unique load landed between these two powders.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
reynolds357

Speer Gold Dot is similar to hydrashock, XTP, Golden saber, etc. Even though reloading data is not universally interchangeable between different bullets, I without hesitation interchange any jacked data of the same weight and dont worry in the least about doing it.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:47 PM   #5
cubsfan

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll be away from reloading for a couple days but will be referencing your advice when I get back.
Old July 25, 2013, 09:19 AM   #6
buck460XVR

I suggest you go here......http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp and here....http://www.nosler.com/9mm-luger-parabellum

Both have data available for other jacketed 9mm bullets. Berry's says to use low to mid range jacketed recipes for it's bullets.