The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 24, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
SC4006

Guns fired underwater... at 27000 Frames Per Second!

The first video is slow mo footage of a semi automatic pistol, as well as a revolver being fired underwater. You can clearly see the areas where gas escapes the firearms when being fired, most notably you can see the gasses coming from the cylinder gap on the revolver. The video is done by two guys on youtube called The Slow Mo Guys.

Here's the first video: Video #1

Also, in collaboration with these guys, a guy with the youtube channel called SmarterEveryDay, fired an AK47 underwater.

Here is the AK47 Underwater video: Video #2

Also, if you are into seeing cool stuff happen at extremely slow speeds, or into science at all, definitely take a look at their channels!

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math, but what do I know?
Old July 24, 2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

That is very cool.

The difference in the cavitation trail behind the revolver and semi bullets is fascinating as is watching the hot gases collapse in the water instead of continuing to expand and rise as you might expect from a normal air bubble.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old July 24, 2013, 08:41 PM   #3
Vanya
Staff

Yeah... I came across those yesterday. Very cool.

I liked the SmarterEveryDay guy... he actually explained what was happening. The Slow Mo Guys are having fun, but it would be nice if they were a bit longer on info... for example, the bullet in the first (I think) video appears to tumble, but the others don't. One would like to know why...
Old July 24, 2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I like how it shows the shockwave returning back through the bullet's path several times. What's odd is both firearms have a continuing concussion at a downward path.

You think the hollowpoint bullet had anything to do with the difference in the cavitation trail?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 24, 2013, 09:02 PM   #5
SC4006

Quote:
The Slow Mo Guys are having fun, but it would be nice if they were a bit longer on info...
Yeah I feel the same way, they don't go nearly as much into the scientific aspect of whats happening as the SmarterEveryDay guy (Destin), they're a little more on the silly side most of the time. Still pretty cool though.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math, but what do I know?
Old July 24, 2013, 10:00 PM   #6
LewSchiller

I like Slow Mo from 6:01 on in that it really shows the loss of pressure at the cylinder gap. If I've properly described it.
Old July 25, 2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Neat video. What's interesting is that the Ruger actually goes into slide lock. I'd always wondered if the differences in pressure and resistance would cause the slide to cycle more slowly.
Old July 25, 2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle
You think the hollowpoint bullet had anything to do with the difference in the cavitation trail?
I don't know, it could be. My first guess is that the massive gun loss around the cylinder gap is leaving less gas to be dragged along behind the bullet but I really don't know. It could be velocity differences too.
-The Architect
-----
Old July 25, 2013, 10:57 AM   #9
SHE3PDOG

This was pretty neat to watch. I wonder if those bubbles that were seen under water ccould also effect a bullet's path out in the open air.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 25, 2013, 11:19 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
I wonder if those bubbles that were seen under water could also effect a bullet's path out in the open air.
Notice that, especially with the rifle, the muzzle blast gets out ahead of the bullet by a good distance. I'm guessing 6 inches or so before the bullet catches up and appears through the bubble. That blast definitely effects the bullets flight. It's one of the reasons (the major reason) why boat-tail bullets are slightly less accurate at close range (under ~300 yards) than are flat base bullets. The boat-tail's length gives the muzzle blast slightly more time to act on the bullet and it takes a few hundred yards for the bullets inherently better ballistic properties to make up for that difference.
-The Architect
-----
Old July 25, 2013, 01:55 PM   #11
alex0535

I thought the fluctuations of escaping gasses from the muzzle of the AK-47 were pretty awesome.