The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 11:09 AM   #1
azmark

22 LR shotshells

I'd like to hear from people who have actually used 22LR shotshells on pests, particularly snakes. Tell me about your experience.

I have a buddy who tells me he has used nothing else on snakes, shooting a Ruger Bearcat. He says he uses both CCI and Winchester rounds.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Baby snakes at 4-6 feet, they might do OK. Big rattle snakes - it will just tick them off. 22 shotshells are loaded with #12 shot, AKA DUST. Even 38 shotshells aren't that great. Add in a rifled barrel and the dispersion is erratic and inconsistent
Old July 23, 2013, 11:33 AM   #3
azmark

Have you shot anything with the.22? 38 shotshells kill big fat rattlers just fine. I've done it several times. A shotgun is just too messy on the porch.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:47 AM   #4
csmsss

I've shot at squirrels inside my parents' home with .22 LR shotshells - they were completely ineffective. I wouldn't use them for anything but amusement.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:53 AM   #5
JL Wesson

I have a box of Winchester I bought to kill lizards in the back-yard (my wife has a phobia for those). Never actually used for lizards yet.
I tried to shoot roses instead, hoping for an explosion of petals, but got just a multi-pierced flower.
I used a Savage Mark II F.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:11 PM   #6
Pahoo

BigD + 1

BigD + 1
I've only shot birds and some rats, at close range. I have never had a need to shoot a snake. On my property, most snake get a free pass or taken for a ride, in the country. If it were up to my wife, she would kill every snake in the county. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 23, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Tom68

I shot a little snake on my driveway with .22 shotshell out of a 10/22. took two round to kill it from 5 feet.

I have a box of .38 shotshells that I bought before it dawned on me that they shouldn't be shot through a ported barrel
Old July 23, 2013, 01:51 PM   #8
azmark

csmsss,

Inside the house? Damn. Like running around the living room, or what?
Old July 23, 2013, 02:05 PM   #9
csmsss

Quote:
Inside the house? Damn. Like running around the living room, or what?
Down in the basement. Squirrels would enter their house from the power line, which ran directly beneath the limbs of a tree. They'd then crawl down through the frame and somehow emerge in the basement.

Frankly, I couldn't think of a more effective way of dispatching them, but didn't want to sling slugs around my parents' cinderblock walled and cement floor basement, so the shotshell seemed to be the logical means of dispatch - it's just that the .22 version is too anemic to do much good. The 9mm version worked just fine, though it left some small punctures in the sofa where one of the buggers had run off to.
Old July 23, 2013, 02:07 PM   #10
blfuller

They work well for bats and pack rats. I've shot rattlers in the head at close range (6-8") with a rifle.
Old July 23, 2013, 03:15 PM   #11
L_Killkenny

Good for swallows in the shed when you don't want to put holes in the roof. Snakes? If you're close enough for them to be effective you're close enough to just use a regular pill.
Old July 23, 2013, 03:44 PM   #12
RJay

At my cabin north of Williams, I have run into quite a few rattlers, If they are far enough away from me and not close to the cabin, I simply say, Vaya con Dios and let them go their way. However once in a while one will be too close to either me or the cabin, in that case I have shot them at close range with a .22 CCI shot shell ( the other brands are indeed " dust " ) with excellent results, one shot is all it takes. The range is normally around 5 feet. Anything beyond that is very Effie. The shot shells are not very power full and are not shotgun shells ( which many people expect them to be ) and work very well for their proper purpose.
Old July 23, 2013, 05:59 PM   #13
4runnerman

as others say. i tried them once. 5 feet,bounce off pop can. novelty item i think
Old July 23, 2013, 06:11 PM   #14
TommyP

I once shot a rat at least 4 times with .22 shotshells out of a Heritage SA revolver. The shot didn't drop him although it's possible that he had a heart attack shortly thereafter
Old July 23, 2013, 07:25 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Have you shot anything with the.22? 38 shotshells kill big fat rattlers just fine. I've done it several times. A shotgun is just too messy on the porch.
Here in Fl, we use a real shotgun for dispatching rattlers and cottonmouths otherwise you just tick them off and they get angry with you.............12 is preferable but even the 410 can work. Sorry, the 22 shotshells might work for mice, not for snakes - get yourself a Judge if need be and use a 410
Old July 23, 2013, 08:29 PM   #16
James K
Staff

Someone once said that the biggest users of .22 shot shells were the makers of fake "antique" furniture.

Jim
Old July 23, 2013, 08:58 PM   #17
azmark

Sometimes I do, too.

Old July 23, 2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Big4Freedom

When I'm out in my rocky timber working or messing around, I either carry my Bond Arms Snake Slayer that shoots .410 3" shells or a S&W .38 revolver with first two rounds CCI shot shell, remaining three JHP for any two-legged squatter encounters.

Never had to shoot a snake yet, but feel the .410 would be more than adequate. It packs a punch on the targets/objects I've shot, but did give me a flinch that took a few months to correct...With all of the guns I've shot in military and with all the shapes n sizes in my extensive collection, I've never felt more shock than that little thing. Makes my 3" .44 mag revolver seem like a .22LR, but great to have if you need it for a snake...

When on the land, I most often carry the .38 just for the added self-defense rounds but don't feel as confident about its ability to kill snakes as the .410 shot.
Big
Old July 23, 2013, 10:07 PM   #19
80viking

22 shotshells work very well on mice and chipmunks. I have also hunted noisy crickets in my basement with them. A good hit will leave a bunch of cricket legs where it was parked. Also, they will kill squirrels if you shoot them in the face close up.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:00 AM   #20
Theohazard

When I was a kid I killed many gophers with .22 shotshells.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:26 PM   #21
csmsss

"they will kill squirrels if you shoot them in the face close up'

You must be an exceptional stalker. About the closest I've ever gotten to a squirrel out in the woods is about thirty feet - inside my parents' house, I was quite lucky to get within ten feet of them.
Old July 24, 2013, 01:07 PM   #22
Andrewh

off topic, but had to share.
living in idaho, and dead of winter.
had a squirel coming through the fireplace.
didn't know it, and had opened the cover to light a fire.

It had fallen a sleep.

trying to be nice, rather than throw it back out in the cold, I put it in a shoe box and pinned it in closed on a shelf.

woke up the next morning to what I thought was a break in.

squirrel had chewed through the box, and was tearing around the house trying to find a way out.

Finally got both outside doors open so it could "esacpe"
Old July 24, 2013, 01:08 PM   #23
glenncal1

In my experience the .22 magnum shot shells work quite a bit better.

Many K and N Frames
Old July 24, 2013, 02:03 PM   #24
azmark

Big4Freedom,

I bet those 3" shells really do rock. When we had the Judge I used the lightest loads I could find. Nice little kick nevertheless. I found it less unpleasant than the Cor-Bon .45 LC rounds I shot out of it. I'm not a huge fan of .44 Mag either, because after a couple boxes of ammo my hand starts to complain. Try the 2 1/2" .410 loads (I used 2 1/2" # 7.5 target loads) for the snakes. The 5' rattler I shot from 8 feet or so just sort of 'deflated' when I shot him. I've never had another snake act that way. Never even twitched, and if you've shot snakes, you know how they keep moving after you shoot them. Even the snake in the picture I posted was trying to strike at me with his head not fully attached.

With a Bond I think I would try a 2 1/2" load of #12 shot (yes, they make them). I never stand back more than about 10 feet so so that cloud of #12 at 1200 fps should rip any snake to shreds and shouldn't gouge up my concrete at all.

I don't know why so many of these guys can't get the 22 LR shells to work very well. They killed mice from 12 feet or so for me. I also shot a lot of soda cans with them for giggles and got lots of little holes...go figure. I just never shot a snake with a shotshell smaller than .38 and wondered about them. Oh, not true...I've used the 9mm rounds which only carry a little more than half as much shot as the 38 and the 9's did the job too.
Old July 24, 2013, 02:06 PM   #25
dajowi

Someone once said that the biggest users of .22 shot shells were the makers of fake "antique" furniture. ???