The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 17, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1
spencey89

Scope or red dot for AR15/Tavor?

Short to Mid range, $300 budget, under 20oz.
What would you guys recommend?

Getting a Tavor and I'm looking to get some decent optics for it.
I've also thought about Troy battle sights or something similar.

Any opinions? Thanks in advanced.

"Better to die than to be a coward"
- Ghurka Motto
Old July 17, 2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Patriot86

I like the Aimpoint PRO; I havn't used one on a Tavor but for an AR they work well.

Something like an MTAC or TAC30 might be good as far as a magnified optic.
Old July 17, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
spencey89

I'll have to figure out if I want magnified or not, scope, red-dot etc. But having options are good.

- Ghurka Motto
Old July 17, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Nathan

How far will you shoot:
Min distance?
Max distance?
Avg distance?
Would you rather deal with excess magnification up close or be under magnified at range?
Weight limits?
Size concerns?
Old July 17, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

The generic reliable Red Dot Sight answers wont be available to you at a $300 budget. A solid Eotech or Aimpoint Pro run $400 minimum.

I've never shot with one, but I've heard good things about the Lucid HD7
http://www.mylucidgear.com/reddotsights.php

There's also the Vortex Strikefire/Sparc, but I've never shot with them either. Just the other sub-300 big name
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old July 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
spencey89

I've heard good things about Vortex. And I know $300 won't get me too much in red-dot and even less in scopes.

Guess my question was premature, I have a cheap scope and red-dot that i should test out before asking too many questions and deciding. From what I've read, having a scope isn't too much of a handicap at close targets and still allows you to hit targets at range, unlike the the red-dot which is more or less CQB. Still gonna ask you guys anyway.

- Ghurka Motto
Old July 17, 2013, 02:28 PM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

Vortex sparc. For the money its pretty darn nice. I'm using one on an fs 2000. In reality, you would really do better with something with a wider view like an mepro m21 or eotech.
Old July 17, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Glockstar .40

IMO dont spend that much on a rifle and turn around and throw cheap optics on it... dont buy prematurely save a little extra and put a good scope or red dot. your already in the $300 range. if you scrape up a couple hundred more it opens up more options for ya. Good Luck and let us know what ya end up with.

P.S. I Love my Troy Battle Sights! they're a great choice
Old July 17, 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
I've heard good things about Vortex. And I know $300 won't get me too much in red-dot and even less in scopes.
A $2000 Tavor deserves better than a Vortex red dot.

I have a Vortex StrikeFire, and it is a fine optic for what it is, but an Aimpoint PRO (which I also have) is VASTLY superior. It is a fantastic red dot all-around. The glass and dot are extremely clear, the battery life is incredible, the controls are design simplicity exemplified, the included QRP2 mount is excellent, and the whole setup is bomb-proof. If there is any downside to the PRO at all, it's that it is not incredibly lightweight. But on a short bullpup like the Tavor, where all the weight is back at your shoulder, you will not notice this, and the rifle will still balance nicely.

The PRO can occasionally be found on sale for around $370-380 at PSA, so it's not very far from your budget.

Quote:
I've also thought about Troy battle sights or something similar.
The Tavor already has some pretty decent flip-up BUIS already built-in (see below). You could save the money for the Troys and put it toward a good optic.

Last edited by Fishbed77; July 17, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Patriot86

For a cheap red dot I like the Lucid HD7; its almost as good as an Aimpoint and it uses AA's which is cool from a logistics standpoint. But on a 2K rifle...you can spring for an AIMpoint and maybe a magnifier.
Old July 18, 2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Theohazard

I agree with the other guys; Vortex sights are great for the money, but why skimp on optics when you paid for a top-notch rifle?

I just picked up an Aimpoint PRO for my latest AR. It's cheaper than the M3 and it comes with a mount. And as far as I can tell it's the same thing as the M3 but with "only" 30,000 hours of continuous battery life instead of 50,000. I love it.
Old July 18, 2013, 06:46 AM   #12
spencey89

Cool, I didn't know the status of the stock BUIS. But if they are half way decent, that's awesome.

$400 or even $500 is within my budget it will just take time. The Tavor wasn't cheap and my piggy bank was hit pretty hard. But I originally dismissed Aimpoint because of price, but It look like it's top of the line for this rifle or nothing.

- Ghurka Motto
Old July 18, 2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Auto426

$400 to $500 will be you an Aimpoint PRO or an XPS series EoTech, which are both high quality and dependable optics. At $300 or below I would probably look into a Vortex Strikefire or Sparc. While not quite as nice as an Aimpoint, they seem to work pretty well and they have a lifetime warranty should anything go wrong.
Old July 18, 2013, 06:35 PM   #14
rep1954

My first red dot was a Trijicon RX01 and I am very happy with it. My second red dot was bought for me by my son as a gift and is a EOTech XPS2 and has been a great sight, however I really like the no battery no switch set up with the RXO1 a lot. Just recently I was looking to put a red dot on my Ruger 22/45 Lite and looked around at the options. I have to say with what I decided to go with I was very pleased. I bought a Burris Fast Fire III and it was $250.00 with the rail mount included from Cabelas. The one I purchased has a very well defined 3 MOA dot. When you first push the one button control switch the dot comes on and is in a self adjusting mode for brightness. Push the button again and it goes into the highest of the settings followed by two dimmer settings all selected by continual pushes on the button followed by one more push for off. Even with it's smaller viewfinder size the frame is so thin it works very well and I would have no problem using it in place of my other dots if it was setup to co-witness. The only drawback I would have with this sight against the others that I own would be it's toughness as a battle sight but in a lower price unit you are not going to get that. It seemed to me that most of the sights cheaper then this I started classifying as red smears rather than red dots.

Old July 18, 2013, 06:45 PM   #15
Achilles11B

Strongly recommend stacking up a few more quarters and picking up something from either EOTech or Aimpoint.
Old July 18, 2013, 06:46 PM   #16
Boomer58cal

The Tavor is fully capable of shoot 400-600 yards... I'd scope it. There are several good all around scopes with 2.5-10 or 3-12 magnification that would work good at any range from point blank to 600 yards.

I don't like having a rifle that is handicapped at long range. Jmho.

Boomer
Old July 18, 2013, 07:50 PM   #17
ftttu

I got my Lucid HD7 here locally for a total of $204.00 out the door. That was with my LEO discount. They didn't have the 2x so I will order that later. I've only fired 30 rounds with it so far, but I love it still the same. I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere on the net. Also, the multiple reticles was the deciding factor for the HD7 over the Eotech I was about to purchase for almost twice the price.

But as another poster above said, it you spend a lot on your weapon, spend a lot on your optics. I fell in love with the ACOG, but I think I will never need that much magnification for the relative close-in use I will probably be using my weapon for.
Old July 19, 2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Liambobbi

Acog
Old July 19, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
AK103K

Save your money for the Aimpoint, it will pay for itself before you know it. The cheap sights will just suck money out of your wallet and drive you crazy, and youll just end up paying for the better sight down the road. If I had what I wasted on cheap red dots when I first started looking at them, Id have a couple more Aimpoints now.

Ive been running M2's/ML2's on both my AR's and AK's (and a couple of others) since they were the "new" model, and they are still going strong now for around 12 years of pretty steady use and abuse. They are like the Energizer Bunny, they just keep on going and going......

The Aimpoints also wont break the bank feeding their battery habit. Mine are pretty much "old school" now, and I leave them on 24/7/365, and change the batteries once a year. The new ones I believe, are up to about 9 years on a battery.

Also dont get caught up on one or the other. Get both. With lever mounts, you can have either at a flip of a lever or two, and swap them at will, with no lose of zero. I have one AR that usually wears a Leupold 1.5x5 on an old ARMS lever mount, and a back up, pre zeroed Aimpoint on an ARMS M68 mount. Best of both worlds.
Old July 19, 2013, 09:16 PM   #20
Polinese

Personally (and I may be a minority) I always like a 1-4 style scope for a rifle like an Ar or the Tavor. Especially one with some kind of reticle that can do double duty for quick popping at your targets or a lil more precise if you need be.

I just put a Leupold 1-4 hog scope on my AR and LOVE IT.

But I also have this weird thing about my optic running on batteries... I know that especially something like an aimpoint its really a non issue just a pet peeve of mine.
Old July 20, 2013, 06:38 PM   #21
jmr40

^ Ditto.

A decent 1-4X20 scope is faster for up close fast action than irons and just as fast as a dot when set on 1X, even in low light. Probably out of your budget, but they make them with an illuminated retcle. On 4X it gives you the versatility for 300+ yard shots. Best all around option for an AR.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:46 PM   #22
tgstoken

Here's a better plan. Skip the overpriced, horrid triggered Tavor, get a high end AR ($1200-1500) AND an Aimpoint/ 200rds ammo. Much better choice overall. (they say "But the Tavors shorter!", i say "Who cares, nothing at 200 yards is going to notice")
Old July 21, 2013, 01:13 AM   #23
Ky/windage

I would use a Vortex strikefire unless you plan on your life depending on it but for paper punching it should be great.
Old July 23, 2013, 12:51 PM   #24
spencey89

Go figure I find this after I ask this question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiM5u...AmCEP-Tu6YliUQ

- Ghurka Motto
Old July 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #25
velillen

Re: Scope or red dot for AR15/Tavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polinese View Post
Personally (and I may be a minority) I always like a 1-4 style scope for a rifle like an Ar or the Tavor. Especially one with some kind of reticle that can do double duty for quick popping at your targets or a lil more precise if you need be.

I just put a Leupold 1-4 hog scope on my AR and LOVE IT.

But I also have this weird thing about my optic running on batteries... I know that especially something like an aimpoint its really a non issue just a pet peeve of mine.
I like my primary arms 1-4. It works great for my ar15 which I don't shoot all that often. It has a illuminated dot which is great in 1x and using like a red dot. But also goes to 4x which is great for the 200-500 range. At around 200 bucks I am happy with it.