The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Thread Tools
Old July 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Senior Member
Join Date: April 16, 2011
Posts: 128
Hunters Safety Question

I took a hunters safety class in High School and have never gotten a hunting license in NC. I have only been deer hunting in Virginia. I have since lost my hunters safety card, and was going to go deer hunting in NC later this year. I think that I need the card to get a NC license. Is there a way that I can get a copy of the card, or do I need to take the class over again?
new_camper is offline  
Old July 16, 2013, 09:46 PM   #2
big al hunter
Senior Member
Join Date: March 12, 2011
Location: Washington state
Posts: 957
Contact NC fish and wildlife. You should be able to get a replacement at little or no cost.
You can't fix stupid....however ignorance can be cured through education!
big al hunter is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee
Senior Member
Join Date: January 2, 2012
Posts: 2,251
+ one for the big al hunter comment._
Sure Shot Mc Gee is online now  
Old July 17, 2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: March 30, 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 320
I lost a card from another state, I contacted that state and they wanted paper work - a fee + wait weeks. So I just paid a smaller fee and went and sat through another 5or7 hours of safety class.

Not say that is what you should do, but it is an option if the other state give you the run around.
deepcreek is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Join Date: June 30, 2010
Location: Milford, DE
Posts: 29
lost hunter safety card

In Delaware it's all on line. You fill out the questionnaire and they give you an access pin. From there you can see all the safety classes you have taken, hunter safety, turkey hunting, etc. Perhaps your state is like that.
jstgsn is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: February 20, 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,056
In MN a duplicate FAS cert can be purchased for $3.50 in numourus ways. At any ELS site, at the DNR office in St. Paul, over the Internet and one other found here on this link.
But our drivers license is also endorsed with FAS.
The card is different from just a few years back where the instructor would sign it. When someone would call because they needed a duplicate or all the 11 year olds that we didn't get the certs to hand out would get it in the mail after their 12th birthday called to get the signature of one of us instructors.
For the message of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, But to us who are being saved, It Is The Power Of God. 1Corinthians 1-18
Gbro is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Miss Stana
Join Date: May 17, 2013
Posts: 40
I guess each state is a little different. Nevada looks it up on line and I don't think there is a fee. I got my card in Utah, I just contacted fish and game and they looked it up by my name and sent me a duplicate card. I think there was a small fee.
My life's goal is to put a rifle behind every blade of grass!

Custom Rifles
Miss Stana is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 07:54 PM   #8
Senior Member
Join Date: December 14, 2012
Location: Southern Appalachian Mtns
Posts: 1,422
New camper- if you took the class in NC you will still be in their database and they should be able to look you up/give you a replacement card. If you took the class in VA, I'm not sure if its honored here or not. If you took it in VA, the easiest thing to do would probably be to just take it again in NC.

I took the class in elementary school as an afterschool class. But I grew up in the rural NC mountains where everybody hunts so it seemed normal then. (Bet that never happened in city schools!) That was still in the days when people making decisions in the education system realized the value of teaching kids about firearms safety and wildlife conservation. That was in the early '90's, I don't think they are allowed to do it at school anymore. . What a shame.
steveNChunter is offline  
Old July 17, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: April 16, 2011
Posts: 128
I actually took it in high school in NC. I also found a link on the wildlife website where they would mail me a new one. Thanks everyone
new_camper is offline  
Old July 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Paul B.
Senior Member
Join Date: March 28, 1999
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,735
"New camper- if you took the class in NC you will still be in their database and they should be able to look you up/give you a replacement card. If you took the class in VA, I'm not sure if its honored here or not. If you took it in VA, the easiest thing to do would probably be to just take it again in NC."

I believe the Hunter Safety card is recognized by all 50 states. I've been asked when hunting out of state if I'd taken the course or was born over a certain day which would specify me as 21 or older. I've always been much older even before they started the Hunter Education program.
I took the class about 12 or 13 years ago because it gave me an exxtra point toward drawing a tag. About 6 months later I became an instructor and have been teaching ever since. THose classes are a heck of a lot of fun.
Paul B.
Paul B. is offline  
Old July 19, 2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
Join Date: October 10, 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 336
In Ct the rule is if you go four years without buying a permit, your certification expires. You then have to take another NRA course if you want to go hunting.
Abraham Lincoln made all men free, Samuel Colt made them equal.
ChasingWhitetail91 is offline  
Old July 20, 2013, 12:05 AM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: July 21, 2011
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,762
you should just be able to contact the state you took it and be able to get it reissued, since you took it in NC they should have you in the system anyway and after you get your first license then you just show them that from then on and they'll just give you a new license every year.
ignore my complete lack of capitalization. I still have no problem correcting your grammar.
I never said half the crap people said I did-Albert Einstein
You can't believe everything you read on the internet-Benjamin Franklin
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
tahunua001 is offline  
Old August 15, 2013, 10:23 AM   #13
Join Date: December 4, 2001
Posts: 77
Here in Colorado they have kept records for mare than 50 years, just contact your local Div of Wildlife main office and they should be able to hook you up
mwmjones is offline  

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2015 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.08255 seconds with 7 queries