The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #26
ClydeFrog

Taurus USA GZ/G2 ...

If you want a traditional DA/SA system or the condition one(cocked & locked) & a ambi frame safety, see; USP Compact or maybe the new G2 or GZ compact 9x19mm from Taurus; www.TaurusUSA.com .

Taurus isn't "top shelf" but they do have many supporters in the shooting sports industry.

Clyde
Old July 15, 2013, 09:41 PM   #27
allaroundhunter

Re: Small 9mm with External Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog View Post
Taurus isn't "top shelf" but they do have many supporters in the shooting sports industry.
I'm not one to bash Taurus much, but I have never heard someone involved in competitive shooting (what I qualify as a shooting sport) support or recommend them.

For defense, there are better options. It used to be that Taurus guns were well under the price of competitors, but that is no longer true for the majority of their guns.
Old July 16, 2013, 08:39 AM   #28
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I'm not one to bash Taurus much, but I have never heard someone involved in competitive shooting (what I qualify as a shooting sport) support or recommend them.
You don't see a lot of Rugers or H&Ks used in centerfire competitive shooting, either... And then there's BULLSEYE...

There may be valid reasons for not liking Taurus weapons but I don't think a "not involved in competitive shooting" criteria is one of them.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old July 16, 2013, 10:56 AM   #29
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
You don't see a lot of Rugers or H&Ks used in centerfire competitive shooting, either... And then there's BULLSEYE...

There may be valid reasons for not liking Taurus weapons but I don't think a "not involved in competitive shooting" criteria is one of them.
He said shooting "sports". I have seen Rugers on occasion, and I have seen a good number of HKs. Never a Taurus.

That is not why I dislike them, however.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:33 PM   #30
Pilot

Another vote for the CZ PCR, and 2075 RAMI.
Old July 16, 2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
He said shooting "sports". I have seen Rugers on occasion, and I have seen a good number of HKs. Never a Taurus.
What do you consider "sports?" His original statement included "competitive shooting (what I qualify as a shooting sport)."

But, I think we agree -- the fact that they're not represented in those gun games doesn't mean much.

I've seen a few Rugers and H&K's in IDPA competitions, along with a few Taurus, but that's about it. (I have an SR9 I may try in IDPA one of these days, as it shoots pretty well.),

I don't think any those gunmakers field teams in venues ike USPSA or IPSC. I don't think there was a single H&K at the IDPA Nationals -- I misplaced that issue that shows what was shot. I don't think you'll find many of these guns in BULLSEYE competition, either.

Those "sports" if that what is meant by the term, all have their favored vehicles (guns), and Rugers (except in .22), H&Ks, Styers, and a number of other reputable guns aren't generally well represented.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 18, 2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old July 18, 2013, 12:40 AM   #32
ClydeFrog

Shooting sports industry...

By shooting sports, I mean all areas of the US gun industry; target, outdoor use, hunting, protection, duty, collecting.
Taurus isn't my 1st choice either for a target or match gun but, FWIW; there are pistol teams that use Taurus firearms & I read a gun press item from a private range owner/range officer in the UK who only used Taurus brand semi-auto pistols. The range officer gave the 92-AF pistols high praise & claimed to never have any problems with them.

I've owned 2 Taurus revolvers in the 2000s & wasn't very impressed with them. The QC & ordinance grade steel seems lacking compared to a Beretta, Ruger, Colt Defense, SIG Sauer, HK, or Walther.

CF
Old July 18, 2013, 10:02 AM   #33
TheGunGuy

HK P2000 or P2000SK.
Old July 18, 2013, 10:21 AM   #34
Mystro

If money's not a object, then the Sig P938 is the top of the line. At 16oz the P938 carries lighter than about everything but has combat gun accuracy. Considering they come with night sights, there is none finer but well worth the $$$.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old July 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #35
allenomics

How about the Kel Tec PF9?

Old July 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #36
mike444

Small 9mm with External Hammer

I don't carry but at the range I shoot my CZ75 P-01 better than my gen3 G19. The decocker is nice because it puts the hammer in like 30% mode. Easier pull than full DA. Single action had a nice break.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374287364.255647.jpg
Old July 20, 2013, 06:44 AM   #37
PSP

Being a HK fan and that the P2000sk is what I carry, that's my suggestion. I love this gun. It is and does all that I need a carry gun to do. It shoots like a larger duty size pistol. Effortlessly.

The USPcompact is another excellent choice. I like the S&W 39 series, to include the 908/910.
Old July 20, 2013, 06:58 AM   #38
HKGuns

P2ksk
Old August 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #39
cpallen

The grip of a 'full size' HK P2000 with flat magazine baseplates is only slightly longer than that of the P2000sk and carries 13 vs 10 rounds. If you carry IWB the barrel/slide length is not much of an issue. Think about that. I like mine with the light LEM trigger - it shoots like my Sig P290 or any of my revolvers, except with a much lighter pull and a very short reset.
Old August 15, 2013, 04:57 PM   #40
Grant D

Ok... 9mm with outside hammer. Here you go.
Colt 1911 Defender 3" Stainless 9mm
Good for IWB or OWB holsters,but not pocket carry.