The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 12, 2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Are there ar15s (mechanisms) in wooden stocks?

Are there ar15s (mechanisms) in wooden stocks? making it resemble a more classic hunting rifle?

It is plenty popular to change stocks for a bunch of bolt actions and semis but is there a market for the same thing but with ar15s or does the design make that impossible?
Old July 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
alex0535

Yes, and unless I read it from someone that was making it up, these rifles began with wood furniture in their early development.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDAR15.html
Old July 12, 2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Husqvarna

very nice but it is still the basic configuration with handguard, pistol grip and buttstock.

I was more looking for something that totally changed the look of it. like people seem to do with mini14s or whatnot. slipping the whole action/mechanism into a complete stock
Old July 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Due to the upper and lower receiver design that's not going to be something that would work out well.

To fit around the lower, the wood would have to be extremely thick, and very deep.
Imagine a wood shroud that would cover the lower receiver. It would have to be so bulky, no one would want it.
It could probably be done, but I suspect there would be no market for it due to weight/bulk/appearance.
Old July 13, 2013, 06:01 AM   #5
Nickel Plated

So get rid of the lower and upper altogether. A complete wood stock with a sheet metal inner frame to fit the trigger components and a more classically styled upper to hold the barrel and BCG that fits into the wood stock.

Totally doable, not particularly complicated. Just a bunch of parts to fabricate.

The only issue I see is the AR bolt carrier travels directly backwards, intot he straight AR stock. Whereas most classic rifle stocks are angled downward in relation to the bolt. So it would take some design work to figure out where the bolt goes when cycling. Though there's ways to deal with that.