The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Wparrish

M&p 9mm

Can you buy this in California?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...76738/redirect

I saw somewhere that you can only buy the m&p's by themselves.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:46 AM   #2
ThinkFastKydex

Im not from CA so I dont know all the details but Im fairly certain that if it can be purchased in CA it will say "CA compliant" just like that one says "MA compliant" I think in CA they weapon has to have a loaded chamber indicator.
thinkfastholsters@gmail.com
Old July 11, 2013, 03:58 PM   #3
carguychris

According to the S&W website, SKU# 109201 is the CA compliant full-size model and #109204 is the CA compliant compact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wparrish
I saw somewhere that you can only buy the m&p's by themselves.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you mean that you can't get a CA compliant Range & Carry Kit, then yes, that seems to be true. OTOH I'm confident that if you wanted to buy some ammo, a holster, or some snack cakes with your M&P, the dealer would be willing to sell them to you, although not many gun dealers stock snack cakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkFastKydex
I think in CA they weapon has to have a loaded chamber indicator.
AFAIK the issue in CA is that each model of handgun has to be specifically tested by the state for "safety" and then placed on an approved firearms roster. S&W evidently decided that potential CA sales did not justify submitting a "Kit" version for certification, which is really a shame, because the extra mag, the holster, and the UpLula are worth more than the price difference- plus, spare M&P mags seemingly aren't available anywhere right now unless you pay a hefty premium, but I digress.

According to what I've read several places online, the difference between the CA and MA compliant models is that the MA model comes with a different trigger return spring to give it a 10# trigger pull.

Last edited by carguychris; July 11, 2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Snarky remark added... I'm too funny
Old July 13, 2013, 10:49 AM   #4
danez71

carguychris has the right idea.

I don't see the sku for the kit on the CA roster but the gun itself looks to be approved.

Here is the CA safe gun roster. http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns.asp
Old July 14, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5

Just get one. Now