The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 17, 2013, 06:20 AM   #1
jolly1

SIG Sauer "Mosquito" Sport 22LR - Accuracy

Gents,

I have an option to get SIG Sauer "Mosquito".

I have read following thread, but unfortunately it was closed, and it was related mostly to functioning of this gun but not covering the accuray:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...osquito&page=8

The purpose of this 22 cal (for myself) is training at 25 yard range, to get cheap practise for 9 mil.
So, the purpose is training, serious plinking, target shooting - but not competition.

So, coming back to the subject:
What can be expected accuracy of this pistol at 25 yards distance?

The size of group? (is 3 inch group too much to bargain for?)

Recomended ammo for better accuracy: hyper velocity or standard ammo?
Any Other hints?

Much thanks!
Old July 17, 2013, 09:39 AM   #2
saleen322

Standard Velocity

As a group, standard velocity has always outperformed other ammo for accuracy in testing I did. You may find individual guns and high velocity ammo combinations that shoot well but, group wise, standard velocity does better. I have no experience with the Mosquito but here are 10 shots from a Ruger with SV ammo at 25 yards. YMMV

Old July 17, 2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Pilot

Great shooting saleen. That is competition grade accuracy.

If you don't want to get frustrated, disregard the Sig Mosquito, and get a Ruger MK II, Browning Buckmark or at least a Ruger SR22.

If you really want to practice for 9MM get a CZ Kadet Kit .22LR conversion unit and a 9MM 75B.
Old July 17, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
pilpens

My co-worker has one and usually shoots CCI minimag with no reliability issues. He likes his.
I have shot other Mosquitos a few times. Accuracy and reliability of those I have shot was OK with bulk HV ammo but have seen others that jammed when using weaker HV ammo. SA trigger felt heavy to me.
My GF liked how it fit in her small hand but was not happy with the heavy SA trigger.
Overall, I think that Sig Mosquitos are fun pistols but I would rather have a Browning Buckmark 4".
===============
I have several .22 (S&W 41-5.5", 3 Brownings Buckmarks 7", 7", 4", and 3 Ruger MKIIs 5.5", 7" and SR22).
My favorite now is the 4" Buckmark.
My GF likes the Buckmarks more than the Ruger MKIIs.
The SR22 only gets used when shooting with children and others with small hands.
===============
Old July 17, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Bobby1243

I have one I shoot good groups at 25 and if I run cci minimags or stingers I have no issues but run cheap ammo and you will not be happy I love the gun makes me want other sigs
Old July 17, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Charlie Fox

I can keep 5 round strings in the 9 ring most days from 25 yards, but it takes some doing. I shoot Mini Mags out of mine exclusively and haven't had any failures in 375 rounds.
Old July 17, 2013, 11:31 AM   #7
saleen322

Quote:
Great shooting saleen. That is competition grade accuracy.

If you don't want to get frustrated, disregard the Sig Mosquito, and get a Ruger MK II, Browning Buckmark or at least a Ruger SR22.

If you really want to practice for 9MM get a CZ Kadet Kit .22LR conversion unit and a 9MM 75B.
Thank you Sir. To be honest, I did that once and put the gun down that day! FWIW, I agree 100% with your advice on the models that deliver great accuracy for the price.
Old July 17, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
jolly1

Gents,
Many thanks for you feedback.

FYI - my first choice is exactly CZ 75b cadet - full pistol. But none is available at the moment, not even the conversion kit - till further notice.
(In my local area)
This includes 2nd hand market as well, which I closely follow in last two months.

As I wanted a 22 cal pistol, based on service type pistol of larger caliber, and preferably with open hammer, and DA/SA action, this limits my options drastically.

Thus, I am considering Mosquito Sport, with 5 inch barel. There is quite few reviews for this gun elswhere, but none that I found is mentioning accuracy.
Old July 17, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
pilpens

When I was fairly new to shooting 1911s, I tried a 1911 22LR conversion for my .45, Thinking that I would train with a 1911 .22. The recoil difference between 45 and .22LR was so big that the same 1911 with .22LR felt like a whole new pistol compared to the .45 + my conversion did not lock back on last shot.

At the time, I had 2 Ruger MKIIs that shot much better than the conversion. I sold that conversion. I was new to shooting 1911 and most likely I expected too much from the conversion.

When finances aren't tight, I might try another 1911 conversion but with better understanding of what I can do with it.

I hope the Sig Mosquito (or whatever pistol you pick) works for you.