The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 10, 2013, 09:27 PM   #26
mapsjanhere

if cost is an issue you won't be able to beat the 308 in that group once the current "anything goes" craziness has passed. Plus the 308 is a well known precision round, with plenty of competitions to shoot in. Tikka T3 is my recommended rifle.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Kimber84

Choosing first rifle...caliber help?

Go with the .243, its exactly what you're asking for. You'll be very happy with it, I love mine and it fits the bill perfectly for coyotes.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Kimber84

Choosing first rifle...caliber help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC268 View Post
Alright so you think the Savage Hunter 11 would be the best bet then? Any other models of the Savage I should consider?
I think you'd be perfectly happy with the savage 11. I owned one in .243 for awhile, shot good, just wasn't my flavor of gun though. It took me 4 .243's before I found one that I'll never sell.

Don't get me wrong though the savage will put rounds on target, which ultimately is all that matters. They make good stuff with a good rep.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #29
osirus82

I was in the same boat a couple years ago, i wanted a well made accurate semi-action rifle for deer hunting, long range precision shooting and possibly for 3gun comps... long story short i decided it is worth more to spend the money on a .308 in the FNAR platform 20" bull barrel- its average weight compared to other .308's like M1 or ar10's. I'm thrilled with it- recoil is similar to my beretta 390 12g. If for some reason i need a 243, ill just borrow my brothers.

fnar came with 3 different size but pad and cheek rest.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:37 PM   #30
4runnerman

243 is not that much cheaper to shoot people. My 243 load is 38.1 gns of IMR4064, My 308 load is 42.3 gns of RL-15. Primers cost the same, bullets cost the same,Brass costs the same. 4 gns of powder less is not what I call a cost savings. Recoil is almost the same also. For target shooting I would go 308 Hands Down. Much better selection of components.
Old July 11, 2013, 11:11 PM   #31
allaroundhunter

Re: Choosing first rifle...caliber help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
243 is not that much cheaper to shoot people. My 243 load is 38.1 gns of IMR4064, My 308 load is 42.3 gns of RL-15. Primers cost the same, bullets cost the same,Brass costs the same. 4 gns of powder less is not what I call a cost savings. Recoil is almost the same also. For target shooting I would go 308 Hands Down. Much better selection of components.
I shoot both and handload for both.... There are currently many more components available for .243.

However, the OP said that he will not be handloading and right now .308 is just starting to find its way back to the shelves (at least where I am) and all I am still seeing is more expensive hunting loads.
Old July 12, 2013, 03:23 AM   #32
bamaranger

2 cents worth

Yeah, I noticed the OP wants to hunt medium game, and realize what I am going to say is not quite in line with the drift of the thread. But.....

For a first rifle, and a lot of target shooting, and everybody should have one, and any shooter that tells me he does not have or shoot one much is suspect......, its gotta be a good .22 lr.

Buy a top end .22 bolt rifle, something like a CZ or a Ruger 77/22, put a decent glass on it, and you will shoot it cheaply and often for the rest of your life.
Old July 12, 2013, 06:48 AM   #33
4runnerman

I shoot both and handload for both.... There are currently many more components available for .243.

However, the OP said that he will not be handloading and right now .308 is just starting to find its way back to the shelves (at least where I am) and all I am still seeing is more expensive hunting loads.

This is very true allaroundhunter,for the time being. Same story here. Components are starting to come back slowly. I shoot and load for both also. I still go hands down for the 308, only because he also mentioned target shooting.
I love my 243 as well,but for target shooting,,,,308 all the way.
Old July 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #34
CC268

Problem is .308 is just not the gun for coyotes...I would be doing a lot more coyote than deer. I'm not sure I can say things much clearer than I have, but its mostly target shooting and coyote...deer every once in a while. I'm pretty set on the .243
Old July 13, 2013, 10:08 AM   #35
MattShlock

cc268, fyi, you are going in the right direction. Note that folk who shoot hundreds of rounds, magazine after magazine, aren't target shooters, just shooters. Oh, they'll disagree and maybe even be upset by that, but then ask them what their current average score is on which target and their eyes will cross...
Old July 13, 2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Dirty_Harry

Now its time for you to go fondle some rifles. What price range are you looking in?

Pretty much every manufacturer makes a rifle that will shoot good. It comes down to what you like the best. What feels best in your hands. I am a .308 guy myself, but have only shot one .243. The recoil was very light out of my brothers Remington 7400. I also view recoil from the .308 to be very light.

Let us know what you get!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 14, 2013, 05:00 PM   #37
Meeteetse

In some states the .243 is the smallest caliber for big game, like my home state of Wyoming. It is a great caliber and more than enough for deer and/or coyotes. I personally think it is a little light, but legal, for bigger game like elk so I would actually choose the .308. It is my favorite caliber for general hunting.

As far as coyote is concerned, there is never "too much gun" for coyotes. Are you afraid the .308 will hurt them more than the .243? If you are worried about ruining the coat, then use FMJ and punch a clean hole. In most states the coyote is a varmint not a game animal so the rules are different. You can shoot them with anything you have available and any type of ammo. In the Rocky Mountain states where coyotes are a real problem around ranches during calving season, they are shot with everything from .22 to .300 Weatherby and shot guns. They are fair game.
Old July 15, 2013, 04:06 PM   #38
CC268

Sorry been away for a few days. I just think the .308 is going to be too much gun for what I want to do...I think the .243 fits the bill for me perfectly. It's not like I will never buy another rifle again haha, I can always get something else down the road.

I think the Savage Hunter 11 .243 would be a good gun for me
Old July 16, 2013, 07:35 PM   #39
mooman

260 rem. I have been using one for years on deer, coyotes and hogs.