The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 9, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Miami_JBT

Looking to sell my FAL... what's the market like?

Paid $800 for it and now bored of it... looking to invest into a new AR build.

It's a Imbel receiver built with an Imbel part's kit. Have 8 20rd mags and 1 30rd mag. Also the original handguards. It's simply sitting in my safe and bored with it. Don't even know what to ask for it if I sell it. Also not sure if I should trade it.

It's like having a glass window with a label saying "Caution: do not wipe with a hammer"
Old July 9, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
FALPhil

You missed the peak by a few months.

Whenever I consider a kit gun, what drives my offer is the compliance parts. The only one evident in the picture is the forend.

You may get what you have in it if you have high quality compliance parts, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Kit guns have a somewhat undeserved sketchy reputation.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Dr Big Bird PhD

Putting on gunbroker never hurt anyone.

But personally I would keep it, because you can always store a firearm when youre bored. You can't always get it back when you sell it.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old July 9, 2013, 10:01 PM   #4
Gbnk82

I agree with big bird id put alot of thought into it before you sell it you may never be able to get another if you want one down the road but ultimatelyi it is your gun and yourchoice just make sure to put alot of thought into it..if you sold itwith 4 or 5 months ago you would of probably got 1500+ from it today you will probably get your money back but most likely end up having to take about 100 to 200 less..
Old July 10, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

You could very easily get $800 for it. $950 to $1100 seems to be the deal on Gunbroker. The ones i have seen dont come with the accessories like yours though.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Kimio

I recommend going over to the FALFiles.com and ask them, they would most likely be able to give you a better gauge on pricing if you have information on what parts you have into it.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Skans

I saw a guy trying to get $900 for his at a gun about 2 months ago. The price interested me enough for me to stop and listen to him haggling with a dealer. The dealer turned him down and I watched him walk around with it for a little while. My guess is that you can get about what you paid for it. FAL's just are not a hot rifle right now.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
smee78

I would list it on GunBroker.com if you really want to sell it, but I would not sell it if your just bored with it. I would just let it sit in the safe until it is needed again, a solid functioning FAL is a great thing to have if things go to sh*t.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Miami_JBT

It's mostly that the damn thing is too long for me. I have no issue with my FN-49 but the FAL length of pull is HUGE! I can shoot it but rather get something else. I have plenty of rifles in the same class as the FAL.

M1 Garands
FN-49
M1As

They all have a better length of pull for me.

It's like having a glass window with a label saying "Caution: do not wipe with a hammer"
Old July 11, 2013, 12:18 PM   #10
Skans

Quote:
They all have a better length of pull for me.
I believe Magpul makes an adjustable stock for the FAL (however, not cheap). Also, you could pick up a cheap wooden FAL stock, cut it down a little and adjust LOP to your liking. This is a cheap and easy fix for your problem.
Old July 12, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Kimio

There is a guy on the FAL Files that is in the final stages of making an ACR adapter for the Paratrooper model FAL if your interested.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354158

here's some pics of what it would look like if you went with a picatinny lower & upper