The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
ezyed

Pawn shop find

Last week I picked up a Bersa thunder in 380 auto.
I have only fired it a few times but I find that is a well built and attractive hand gun. I find very little has been said about this gun.It seems to function proper and in my opinion has a good trigger pull. I would like to hear other opion
ezyeds on this pistol.
I only paid $199.00 for it and it looks as it has never been fired more than a few rounds.
ezyed
Old July 8, 2013, 06:54 PM   #2
lamarw

This and other forums are full of discussions about the Bersa. Most of the posters seem to love the pistol, and it has a strong following.

I wish you luck with yours. I had my Bersa Thunder .380 (Lite Du-O-Tone) with Crimson Trace fail within the first thirty rounds fired back in May 2010. It was returned it to the local guns store I purchased it from new. They sent it to one of the Bersa's contracted repair facilites for warranty repair. Bersa does not have their within the Company repair facility (at least not in the U.S.). The drawbar/disconnector spring malfunctioned. It cost me $41.21 for shipping and over a month for the repair and shipping time.

The only good part as far as I am concerned is a lifetime warranty for the original owner (not your situation). Although, shipping cost for repair is expensive.

The Bersa is significantly less expensive than a Beretta. In my opinion and in comparing it to my Beretta Model 85 in .380, the Bersa I own is a far cry from a quality pistol. Other Bersa owner's may accuse me of having a "bad taste in my mouth" for Bersa, and they would be correct.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
ttarp

I've had a poor experience with my BERSA 9mm HC, but both of the .380's I've bought have functioned flawlessly and been a pleasure to shoot. There are fanboys for every make on this forum. And there are those who claim BERSA's are inferior crap. I would have jumped at buying a BERSA .380 for $200, so congrats and I hope you enjoy your pistol.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:36 PM   #4
LewSchiller

Really...the pawn shops around here seem to be 10 over Retail regardless of condition.
Good score!
Old July 9, 2013, 07:33 PM   #5
oldgunsmith

You spent more on shipping than I would have given for the gun in the first place.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:02 PM   #6
lamarw

Gotta to agree with you oldgunsmith. The blue book shows the Crimson Trace worth more than the pistol.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

I had a Bersa Thunder CC .380 that I bought used. It functioned well - no malfunctions. I purchased it for a CCW to carry when I wanted something smaller. Unfortunately, I discovered that the previous owner had done some "trigger work" on it. The first shot in DA was fine but after that, the trigger pull was so light that you could easily double tap without trying. That's probably why the original owner sold it. I soon traded it back in to the LGS for something different as I really viewed the hair trigger as a safety issue.
Overall, I thought it was a well built little pistol and would purchase another one to give it a try - but a new one, not a used one that someone had fiddled with - unfortunately, I didn't discover the "fiddling" until after I had it at the range trying it out.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 11, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Walt Sherrill

I don't have a Bersa, and have never shot one. I don't really have a dog in this fight. I do have a comment about the nature of some of the criticisms of the Bersa line, however.

There are a number of complaints about the Bersa's apparent quality, fit and finish, etc. Most of these negative comments seem to be little more than GUN SNOBBERY, and you can read similar comments here when other low-cost weapons are discussed.

What is NOT addressed in most of these criticism is whether the gun functions as it should and whether it is reliable. If feedback on the internet is any indication, Bersa firearms seem to be just as reliable and functional as most guns made by other gun makers, including some that cost quite a bit more.

One of the ex-Bersa owners described problems he had, and sending it back for repair. I've had similar problems with guns costing many time more. Stuff happens, and it apparently happens with guns are made to a higher standard of fit and finish.

Unless someone can show us how specific aspects of a high level of fit and finish contributes to functionality, I'm not sure that fit and finish are critical concerns for many shooters. High levels of fit and finish certainly come at a cost to the buyer. The Bersa seems to be a low-cost but functional firearm.

For many folks a Bersa is NOT what is desired; for others, it's just fine. Most of the folks who buy Bersa obviously didn't care a lot about finish levels and optimal fit. If Bersa don't care, why should someone who DIDN'T BUY ONE complain?

As my friends in NYC like to say, "It is what it is!"
Old July 11, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9
lamarw

Walt, I agree with a number of your points. I do think it is important to relate personal experiences we have had with pistols when ask by a poster about a specific firearm.

Before buying the Bersa I had trouble with, I heard nothing buy glowing comments about the pistol I bought. Those comments did influence my purchase. As I mentioned in my earlier post, in this thread, most of what you read about the Bersa is good stuff and a lot of the so called fanboys raves.

The op did state he thought the pistol he/she bought used was well made and etc. I almost got the feeling, he/she were rather new to pistols. I wanted to let this individual know there was a difference to be had with better although more expensive pistols to be had in the market.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Fanboy (and -girls) comments are a problem on the gun forums, and about as useful as the criticisms I mentioned. You find it with Glocks, S&W, Witness, H&K, etc., etc. (Need we mention Kel-Tec and Hi-Point?)

The men who participate in these forums often seem to view their weapons as an extension of their sexual organs, and those weapons are, of course, the biggest and best. And cheap guns, if being used as a "substitute" (or extension) for a part of the body are obviously not big/long/good enough.

Lamarw, at least, spoke of his personal problems/experience with the gun -- and that was a valid response.

As for the cost of sending one back to the factory -- it doesn't really matter whether it was an expensive gun or a cheap one -- as it's money out of pocket, regardless. (But, with most guns, it's a better option than trying to sell or trade a gun that doesn't work.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old July 11, 2013, 02:37 PM   #11
JasonJ

overall its a good gun, and if in good condition, $199 is a fine price.

Thing to keep in mind, and this is directed at EVERYONE... the Bersa pistols for the most part cost less because of the cost of manufacture in Argentina, and exchange rates between Argentinian money and ours..

If the exchange rates were a dollar for a dollar, they would cost significantly more- and I'm willing to bet that $350-$450 Bersa would end up being an easy $499-$600 pistol and fewer people would talk ill of them.

I have a Bersa 9mm UC, not the Pro model though. And it has been absolutely wonderful. But that's me.
Old July 11, 2013, 03:02 PM   #12
KMAX

I had a 380 Thunder for awhile. I bought it new. I really enjoyed shooting it. Not long after I bought it I was shooting it and the lever that you use to remove the slide broke and fell off. After a few hundred rounds the disconnect spring broke. Both times I ordered the parts and fixed it myself. I think the parts + shipping were $13 and $8. It was not difficult to fix, but I didn't feel totally secure in carrying the gun after that. My $.02.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old July 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #13
Ibmikey

I have a Bersa .22 and occasionally I can get through a mag without a feed problem. I like shooting the pistol and a lot of it's problems are the old ammo I have burned lately as the malfunction rate is much less with mini mags. A friend has a .380 that does not know how to malfunction...guess it is all in the individual pistol.
Old July 11, 2013, 08:19 PM   #14
qwiksdraw

My Bersa Thunder 380 was purchased from someone I knew and who takes good care of his guns. I bought it for a carry gun and to qualify for my Texas CHL.

Before the class, I shot a couple hundred rounds thru it with no problems. Since then I shot hundreds of rounds. During this time I did find it doesn't like steel cased ammo, but shoots everything else.

Additionally, I also have the Thunder 22 and it is a fun and reliable shooter too.

The fit on both these guns is very good and I don't see anything wrong with the finish, unless you want a pretty gun to keep in your safe, then maybe you might have something to scrutinize.

The BT380 is still my primary carry gun and I trust it to work should I need it.

By the way, before anyone thinks I'm just a Bersa fanboy, I also own two 1911s in 45 ACP, two 1911s in 9mm, a Makarov 9X18, a Glock 19 and a Rossi 357 Magnum Revolver. Not going to give my 22 caliber inventory here...LOL!

On the other hand, I really haven't met a handgun I didn't like.