The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Noz

60 rounds thru a Colt style cap and ball revolver is not at all unusual.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:12 AM   #27
B.L.E.

Not just the type of powder, but also the amount of powder determines the number of shots you can fire. Also depends on your definition of acceptable accuracy. The bench rest guys all clean betweeen every shot, they are rather picky about accuracy.

I shoot clay targets with muzzle loading shotguns and a squirt of Murphy's Oil Soap or Ballistol/water mix down the barrel after the shot is loaded and before the overshot card is rammed down lets me shoot all day long without cleaning. Sometimes I need to clean not because the gun is hard to load but because I'm starting to get misfires.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:19 PM   #28
ChrisHarris

I have 4 different BP rifles and 3 pistols. All single shot cap locks. When shooting at the range, I run an oiled/wet patch down after every shot, so it's not really my bore that gets fouled to the point I can't shoot.

My nipple always seems to get clogged after about 20 shots, regardless of the weapon. I just pull it and run a pick through it. That usually gets another 17-20 shots before it's fouled again.
Old July 14, 2013, 05:26 AM   #29
Old Stony

Chris Harris....hopefully your oiled patch between shots is something water soluable.
Old July 14, 2013, 06:22 AM   #30
Doc Hoy

How many rounds?

Is the only true answer: One?

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. Thomas Jefferson