The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #26
Onward Allusion

I usually rack 3 times while looking into the chamber. I figure if nothing pops out or I don't see anything, it's empty.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 8, 2013, 10:22 PM   #27
pax
Staff

Onward Allusion,

That works, right up until your ejector breaks and you don't realize it. Then it is not so good. Really much better to check by sight and then by feel.

pax
Old July 8, 2013, 10:23 PM   #28
Theohazard

Quote:
pax posted
I would also accept a big stack of books as a safe backstop. From your earlier description, it sounded as if you were just using an ordinary interior wall, without somehow reinforcing it.
It's a rather small area, and it definitely makes me uncomfortable. And if I ever actually fired a round at the books and missed, there would be big problems. And even if I never missed, I can't imagine none of my neighbors would hear the shot. That could be very problematic.

No, I think it's actually not a safe practice. I need to get a training barrel like you suggested.