The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
kcub

Why do some guns throw brass back at you?

And what can you do about it?

Being a lefty probably doesn't help.

Lately I've had a lot get caught in my collar and burn my neck while I've got a loaded gun in my hand. Not fun.
Old July 7, 2013, 02:01 PM   #2
DPris

They SHOULD be set up to eject brass out somewhere to the right.
If brass hits you, the extractor/ejector needs adjusting.
Gunsmith.
Denis
Old July 7, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
buckfynn

It could also be caused by limp wristing.
Old July 7, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4
TunnelRat

What gun are we talking about?
Old July 7, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
What gun are we talking about?
x2
Old July 7, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Theohazard

Sometimes it's hard to tell if the gun is throwing brass straight back in your face or if it's just bouncing off the lane divider to your right.
Old July 7, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
dave9969

I've had plenty of it bounce back off the boards over my head at my range. Not really the guns fault, and even had it fly over the divider between me an the lane next to me. sometimes its my brass sometimes its the other guys. Is why I try to use the last booth on the end, nobody to my left! Figure its better to apologize to the guy beside me than catch his brass in my shirt. What can I say, I look out for me first!
Old July 7, 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Mastrogiacomo

I had a referb Glock 19. I absolutely loved it and it was a joy to shoot but everytime I shot the gun, I got hit in the head with brass. Very annoying...never happened with any other guns. Had to sell it to pay bills but always wondered what I could have done to change my stance. A cop in my class sent to the armorer to check it and his son shot it great. Me, I still got hit in the head with brass. Always bugged me.....

Laura
Old July 7, 2013, 10:19 PM   #9
DPris

Correctly set up, a pistol should not hit your head on ejection.
Denis
Old July 8, 2013, 12:04 AM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

The first thing I check when a student is having trouble with brass coming straight back, especially with a compact pistol or a polymer frame pistol, is grip, and to a lesser degree, stance.

If you look at an improperly held (or heavy recoiling) gun shot in slow motion, you can see part of the reason that the brass isn't going where it should. If, at the moment of ejection, the muzzle is pointed high and the gun is twisted a little to the left due to the rifling torque, guess where the ejection port is pointed.

The picture below helps visualize the issue although this guy is doing a pretty decent job--probably not a new shooter. Picture the muzzle a little higher and the gun twisted a little to the shooter's left.

Old July 8, 2013, 03:47 PM   #11
pat701

OP must own a newer gen3, or a gen4 Glock.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Idaho Spud

I never had a semiauto I had to hold a certain way to make it eject correctly and that includes a P-38, 2 Ruger SR's ( a 9c and a 40) 1911's, a Colt and many I didn't own. Never, that is til I acquired a Glock 23 Gen 3 last year, brand new. When I say BTF I mean rounds that come flying out like a frozen rope and leave marks. No matter the ammo, weak, hot or in between, the ejection is unpredictable. Very annoying. I hate the gun, especially considering I bought two aftermarket bbls for shooting cast boolits. The same loads work perfectly in my Ruger SR40 so I don't buy the limp wrist argument, at least in my own case. I really want to love the gun, but won't get another Glock.

Oh, I'm a lefty and been shooting 55 plus years and have heard all the excuses by Glock and the aficionados. If one has to hold a gun a certain way all the time that gun is basically worthless for anything other than range use IMNSHO. And a buyer shouldn't have to buy this ejector and that extractor and mix and match til a remedy is found, as many have done, and do.

Got here late, sorry for the rant. Forgive me if I've sinned against you.
Old July 10, 2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Constantine

Quote:
OP must own a newer gen3, or a gen4 Glock.

Or a 1911, Hk, SIG, Walther, M&P..etc..etc..
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old July 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
buckfynn

I have a FNP-45 that is notorious for flinging empties right on top of my head.
Old July 10, 2013, 04:59 PM   #15
dewcrew8

I know when I try different powders in my autos, 5906 ,6906, m&p 45c it throws the brass all over. Bulleyes. Gets throwen back to the right and 700x same but 2 feet more then the bulleyes .tightgroup drops right at my feet! It also does the same in some of my auto rifles so holding the pistol/rifle the right way is not the problem with me also. I've had friends shoot the reloads and there factory loads it did the same. Factory loads would always fly back to the right.Some hot loads would go forward, straight up, back to the right. I think type of brands play into it also.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:37 PM   #16
g.willikers

That fellow in the picture above wouldn't have so much recoil if he was using his support hand properly, instead of letting go of the gun.
And don't forget to wear a hat with a long beak or wide brim.
Let the hot brass hit that, instead of your head.
Don't forget to keep your mouth closed, too.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:52 PM   #17
csmsss

My 1911 shucks the empties nearly straight up and slightly to the right (usually within a yard of my position). Makes collecting brass nice and easy.
Old July 10, 2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Usually the torque of the gun can make your wrist move both back and to one side a bit and so the ejection pattern then puts it in your face. That or a bad extractor/ejector angle can do it.

Deaf
Old July 10, 2013, 06:52 PM   #19
wayneinFL

Quote:
Because they're not revolvers.

I've heard that some models flip brass back more than others. I own a lot of different semi-autos. My CZ-52 seems to throw brass the farthest, but the direction is pretty consistent- brass goes like 7 yards, but sometimes stays up in a 5 foot circle. Glocks seem to scatter it all over the place. My Beretta 92 and 1911s seems to put brass in about the same place each time. My Sigs and H&K... I've never really noticed.

In any case, after welding or torch cutting over my head for a few years in a former profession, hot brass doesn't seem so hot. But if it's burning you, button up your shirt. (And don't tuck it in- I learned that from slag ) Wear safety glasses. Wear a T-shirt. Wear a hat.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:28 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
In any case, after welding or torch cutting over my head for a few years in a former profession, hot brass doesn't seem so hot. But if it's burning you, button up your shirt. (And don't tuck it in- I learned that from slag ) Wear safety glasses. Wear a T-shirt. Wear a hat.
Not all of us wear a hat and safety glasses just walking around. A firearm that spits brass into my eyes can be a concern when carrying.

Sad to see the OP never responded to any of this.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Bluestarlizzard

Had an older G21 doing that. It got a special vacation to Smyrna, Georgia.
If it's not the extractor it's an operator issue. Glocks are sensitive to such (more so then many other polymer frames I've shot)

Wearing hats and no coller shirts are still a good idea at the range. Brass shouldn't be hitting you, but occasionally it does when shooting a lot, so being prepared is a good idea.
I always get pinged by brass riccocies. *sigh*
Old July 10, 2013, 09:41 PM   #22
kcub

2 guns are doing it; an hk45c and a hk p2000sk 40.

I shot the 40 well. The 45 is impacting low.

Getting rid of the collar seems like a good idea.
I always wear a ballcap and shooting glasses. I think the curse of being a lefty also enters into the equation.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:44 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
2 guns are doing it; an hk45c and a hk p2000sk 40.
Really? Those guns and in those calibers shouldn't be doing it. I own an HK45c and it spits brass a good 5-10 feet to my left in a nice little pile. My P2000sk is about the same, though it's in 9mm. Interesting.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:51 PM   #24
kcub

The recoil does not seem objectionable on either.
Old July 11, 2013, 02:59 AM   #25
1911Tuner

Head shots

Check the front of the port for brass marks. If the extractor releases the case too early, into the path of the slide...it sometimes gets knocked straight back at the shooter.