The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2013, 12:10 PM   #26
Skans

Now, I'll admit, I didn't buy my Desert Eagle 44 for hunting. However, I have discovered that it is good for informal bowling pin competitions. If I'm going to be shooting bowling pins, it's a toss up between my 10mm and my Desert Eagle .44.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Gaz_in_NZ

As a complete aside to the general thread, do .357 and a .44 DE's use standard rimmed revolver ammo?

If so, then how does it stack into a straight mag?

Just curious.
Thanks in advance.
G
Old July 10, 2013, 05:34 PM   #28
seeker_two

Quote:
I think the reason the DE gets so much poor response is that it looks basically like an overgrown service pistol. And many people seem to feel it should behave like one (only more powerful). And when they learn the reality, that there is no free lunch, despite what Hollywood constantly shows us, they get turned off to the gun.

Being a big movie and video game star helps sales, but its kind of like meeting a movie star you've admired for some time, and finding out that in person they're ...not quite as nice as you thought they would be...
So....it's like the Steven Segall of handguns....
Old July 11, 2013, 12:50 AM   #29
ClydeFrog

IDF, armor units...

Years ago I heard some "rumint" or rumored intel that armor troops & some FA or field artillery troops in the IDF were issued DE sidearms for close range defense.
Some SWAT units may have deployed a Desert Eagle too if they had any reports of subjects wearing body armor.
DEs were used in the 1990s action film; Universal Soldier.

Clyde
Old July 11, 2013, 01:38 AM   #30
silvermane_1

i heard that the Desert Eagles were made for Israeli Tankers.
Ruger:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlin: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfeild:XD .357sig 4",CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63
Old July 11, 2013, 11:57 AM   #31
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
As a complete aside to the general thread, do .357 and a .44 DE's use standard rimmed revolver ammo?

If so, then how does it stack into a straight mag?
They stack up just fine. In fact, I think the magazine of the Desert Eagle is one if its best design features. The mag bodies are slightly slanted, virtually identical to a 1911 mag, and less than a Luger, or any of the common .22RF sport pistols.

DE mags feature a deep rib pressed into the sides of the mag body, which keeps the rounds from being able to shift in the mag, and prevents rimlock. The feed angle is also very shallow, which aids in feeding the long ammo.

I have heard many rumors about the origins of the Desert Eagle, including being made for (or issued to) Israeli military units. As far as I know, they are all BS. Not saying the Israelis never used or considered using the DE, (they are rather pragmatic about finding a use for things...), but haven't seen any documented sources citing use of the DE by them as an officially sanctioned weapon.

I did hear of some SAS folk who tried the .357 DE in training. Seems they liked the combination of 9+1 rounds of .357 mag and low recoil well enough to put up with the size and weight of the DE. Never heard of them actually using the DE in the field, though.

One rumor I have heard (although I have no proof at this time) is that the Desert Eagle was designed by an American, who, after finding no one to back production in the US eventually found support in Israel. IMI virtually rebuilt the gun from the ground up, keeping the base principals of its operation, but changing nearly everything else. I find this more credible than it being made for Israeli tankers, who, in the limited space inside a tank, would have little love for a monster size handgun.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #32
Skans

Quote:
One rumor I have heard (although I have no proof at this time) is that the Desert Eagle was designed by an American, who, after finding no one to back production in the US eventually found support in Israel.
That is my understanding as well.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:58 PM   #33
Que

My understanding as well.
Old July 11, 2013, 01:43 PM   #34
ClydeFrog

Off-topic(slightly)....

The origin of the Desert Eagle pistol & it's rumored military use reminds me of the GE 134D type mini-gun used by ex-SEAL; Jesse Ventura in the action/sci-fi film: Predator(1986).
"Ole Painless" was huge & seemed difficult to truck around in a humid jungle.
It's been noted that the US Army Special Forces T&Eed a GE mini-gun machine gun in the mid-1970s, but it was to bulky & difficult to use in real combat conditions.
Like the Desert Eagle, it looked cool & was powerful but ended up being to much.
BTW; a newer format GE mini-gun was used in the sequel; Predators(2010). IMDb.com reported that the armorers & producers wanted to use a Russian type heavy machine gun a lot like the 134D weapon but it wasn't available for the film crew.

CF
Old July 11, 2013, 02:11 PM   #35
madmo44mag

I've wanted a 44 DE since they hit the market.
I've shot many and just love them.
Now the only dam thing they are good for IMHO is a range gun or scaring the hell out of the ex in-laws - LOL!!!!
Funny thing about this tread is I am doing some trading right now to get enough scratch together to buy a used 44DE.
I'd never buy a new one cause they are just too pricy but used I can handle.
Lucky for me I have big paws so the grip size is not an issue.
I own a Ruger 44 mag with a 10 inch bull barrel so I'm use to the weight.
Wish me luck I can find a nice one for the right price cause I'm on the hunt.
Old July 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #36
FM12

Sometimes bragging rights are all you need for a purchase!
Old July 11, 2013, 05:52 PM   #37
Gaz_in_NZ

@ 44 AMP...
Many thanks for the reply, that's cleared up a few things I've been pondering on for quite a while now.

Cheers
G