The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 5, 2013, 06:51 AM   #1
doctori

Advice on a 30-06 rifle scope

I have a Weatherby 30-06 bolt action rifle with no iron sights. I know nothing about scopes, however I want the best scope for the least amount of money. I do not deer hunt but a few days each year so investing in an expensive scope would not be wise. Can you recommend scopes that I should consider? The place that I hunt is very dense with jack pine trees. I usually hunt from first light to just about dark. I do not anticipate taking shots over 100 yards. Thanks for all of your advice in advance.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I did just fine with a Weaver K4 on various deer rifles. As my billfold got fatter I moved up to 3x9s, but that was more for convenience than necessity. Most of the deer I killed were with the scope set on 3X or 4X.

9X is nice for precision when sighting in, or shooting prairie dogs. Otherwise, for a deer hunter, it's mostly window-dressing.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:56 AM   #3
JimPage

I won't specify a brand but I will suggest the type of scope you want. For short ranges and brush or dense woods I would suggest a low power wide angle scope. Personally I have a 1.5X variable wide angle scope adjustable up to 4X. I rarely crank it up past 3X but leave at 1.5X most of the time.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old July 5, 2013, 08:02 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

What Jim Page said is great advice. I have used 2X-7X but left on 2X.
Check the catalogs for your price range. Also check pawn shops, most have piles of scopes. Make low offers, many times it will be accepted.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:15 AM   #5
jmr40

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent scope, but much below $200 is junk that you will regret. Nothing wrong with a 2-7X, but there are more options in the 3-9X range. You can get a decent fixed 4X a little cheaper, but 4X is too much magnification most of the time in my opinion. All of my scopes are 1-4X, 2-7X or 3-9X, and they stay on the lowest power 99% of the time. But I do like the option to have more magnification for that 1%.

Priced @ $199 I like the Burris FF-II scopes. A Leupold VX-1 is about the same price as is the Redfield Revloution and Vortex Diamondback and Nikon Buckmaster. A Nikon Prostaff can often be found in the $170-$180 range and is as cheap as I'd go. The $20 extra for one of the others is money well spent though.

I have more expensive upper end Zeiss and Leupold scopes. They are better and I can justify and afford the expense. But I would use the $200 Burris or a$300 VX-2 with confidence.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Nathan

What is your min shot distance based on experience?

Also, what is expensive?

To me, cheap is $75 - $250.

Mid priced is $250-$600.

Expensive is $600 +.

Usually under $100 is a waste of time, IMO.

Generally, scope and rifle should cost about the same. A good mount can be had for under $100 for hunting scopes/rifles. Mounts under $40 probably are junk.
Old July 5, 2013, 08:18 AM   #7
JerryM

Save money, don't get a variable, but get a 2 or 2.5 fixed power scope within your price range.

Personally for most of my hunting I did well with fixed 4X scopes. The only reason I wanted a variable is for antelope hunting when it is sometimes difficult to keep up with the largest buck in a herd.
My variable is a Leupold VX III 2-7.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *┬ÂLet us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 5, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
big al hunter

I would agree with those before me, that lower power is better for close up/dense timber. I have had good experience with Burris fullfield II. Also look at Vortex Diamondback series. http://www.vortexoptics.com/ my choice for your application would be a 2-7x35. You would also do well with a 3-9x40. It gets hard to pick out a deer in brush up close at 9 power. Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between different deer in the brush at 100+ yards at 3 power. I like to be able to adjust power for the situation. Keep it on the low setting until an animal is too far away to see what you want to for a confident shoot placement. Its easy to adjust the scope when the deer is relaxed at 100 yards, not so easy when you are having a staring contest with bambi at 15 yards.
Old July 5, 2013, 10:23 AM   #9
AllenJ

Vortex scopes are getting rave reviews and while I've never owned one it is a brand I would seriously consider if I were looking.
Old July 5, 2013, 01:24 PM   #10
silvrjeepr

I hear a lot of good about vortex and the Bushnell elite 4200 and 6500. I've never owned either though.

Nikon makes decent scopes, but they are far from great.

Leupold VX3 is nice and a lot of hunters swear by it, though I believe that half of their price is for name alone.

I can hunt by the moonlight with my Zeiss conquest and consider it the best scope for the money if you can find a 3-9x40.

Swarovski is an amazing scope and an effective way to reduce a large bank account.
Old July 5, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Boomer58cal

Check out Redfield... http://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Redfield is made by Leupold. One of the best names in scopes. I just picked up a 3-9x40 for $140 after $40 rebate. One of the best scopes under $300 and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Boomer
Old July 5, 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctori

I want the best scope for the least amount of money.

You can do no better than a used quality glass, like a Leupold - many of which I've purchased for less then $150, some less than $100.

If there's slim pickings in your LGS', try www.swfa.com which has a used/reconditioned scope selection, besides about the lowest prices available online.

(I've bought several scopes from SWFA, over the years - w/o any complaints/issues)

Old July 5, 2013, 06:41 PM   #13
doctori

Thanks All

Have you ever heard of a NikkoStirling Nighteater scope 3-10X42? I was told by a local gun shop that this was a good scope. I do not anticipate making any shot over 100 yds. Expensive to me is as much or more than the cost of my weatherby Vanguard. Thanks for all of the advice. I will do some more shopping especially at pawn shops which I never even considered
Old July 5, 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

My personal opinion is that a 100-yard shot on Bambi is a "gimme". I'd not bother with more than a fixed 4X. My experience with "good used" scopes is that they're plenty good.
Old July 5, 2013, 11:36 PM   #15
2ndtimer

If I wanted a best "bang for the buck" scope for a centerfire rifle, I would go for this:
http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...Plex%20Reticle
For $100 plus shipping you can't beat it. If you don't like the gloss finish, they have the same scope in matte for an extra $20. I haven't ordered one yet, but I still may grab one because it is such a good deal. I have it on multiple sources that the scope is the equivalent of a Weaver Grand Slam. Check it out.
Old July 6, 2013, 12:19 AM   #16
rem1858

Find yourself a used Leupold VX-1 3x9
Great scope with good glass.

Clarence
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 points (need a hard leg)
10z n Xs
Old July 6, 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
Nathan

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a NikkoStirling Nighteater scope 3-10X42? I was told by a local gun shop that this was a good scope.
They are wrong! You would be MUCH better off with a Simmons or Vortex at this price point.

BTW, this is not so much about how far you will shoot. It is much more about will you shoot within an hour of sun up or sun down.

The single most important question one must ask when pricing bottom dollar glass is how much will I have invested when this thing gives out?

When I go hunting, I have invested:
- tags
- a vacation day from work
- load development time
- possibly an airplane flight
- normally a car drive
- the cost of replacement beef
- cost of tags
- my part in the hunting party's success

So, as you can see, a failed optic which I have to lose a couple of days hunting over, could cost quite a bit. I have seen of cheap scopes lose zero. Usually when tripping over a bush, falling out of the truck, sighting in, and so on. Good glass can be dropped a reasonable distance. Great optics will survive a drop off a small cliff! Crap glass loses settings, lens mount or tube straightness by getting bumped sometimes.
Old July 6, 2013, 04:29 PM   #18
Paul B.

I have various scopes on different rifles but he one I really like the most is the 2x7X Leupold on my 7x57 M70 Featherweight.Bright clear picture and great eye relief. Most of my scopes though are 3x9's, usually set at 3X. When I shot my cow elk this last Jaunary, she was at 325-350 yards estimate. One shot with my .35 Whelen and meat in the pot. Whe I went to set the scope back to 3X, I found that I'd never gone to a higher power setting. Longest shot I ever made on a deer was with an old Remington 660 with a second hand El Paso Weaver 3X scope. Over 400 yards. (427 paces) That was back in 1973. I still have that rifle and scope and they're till going strong. A low power scope will let you shoot at targets quite a ways out. yOu don't need a sope that will also allow you to study the rings of Saturn.
A fixed powder scope will always be the stronger but the variable more convenient.
Paul B.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:14 PM   #19
Kachok

Hunting in the dark woods there is nothing better then my VXII I have on my Savage 30-06, it is the best low light glass I have ever seen. Nikon is the best value on the market though at half the price of my VXII.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:24 PM   #20
silvrjeepr

If you like the VXII, you'll love a conquest. I had a VXII on my .270 before switching to the Zeiss. The low light difference is amazing. You can probably still find a $299 or less close out on the 3-9 x40.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:22 AM   #21
Picher

If this is your first deer hunting scope, look for a variable, maybe 1-5X, with the widest field of view, brightest view, and longest eye relief.

Eye relief is important when shooting quickly, so you don't get hit by the scope eyepiece when mounting the rifle and shooting quickly, but a wide field of view will get you on target quickly.

Red dot sights are good in bright light, but dim in the woods early and late in the hunting day.

As a person gets more comfortable using scopes, higher-powered ones are more attractive to them. When I started hunting, in my teens, great scopes were very expensive, so I bought a Weaver 2.5X for my 30-06 bolt-action and it served me well, even for hunting Maine woodchucks, where shots over 250 yards were not common.
People are like rifles. Some are tried and true, having great eyes, personality, and fun to be with. Others never seem to hit the mark with you. Still others go off half-cocked. Still, it's nice to know most of them.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:25 AM   #22
ndking1126

I have a Burris fullfield ii and can definitively recommend it for what you need. Never owned one of the new Redfield scopes, but they are getting really good reviews and I want to try one. I would recommend you look into it.

Remember that dusk and dawn is when the quality of the scope is going to be most evident, and that is when many deer are shot. As always, I recommend you get the nicest scope you can reasonably afford. Buying something that isn't up to the task you want it to do is always a waist of money.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:04 PM   #23
Jack O'Conner

Bushnell still builds a quality 1.5X to 4.5X scope for the money. I have this scope on a couple rifles and had very good luck holding zero year after year.
Optics are bright and clear. They sell on eBay for less than $80.00 and worth every penny.

Jack
Old July 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #24
TATER

Another option is, MidWay and Optics Planet are Blowing Sightron SI's Out at 99.Bucks right now.
I have a couple. They have very nice glass for the money. I would put them just under my VX-2 Loupolds and above my VX-II Loupold.. (really)
Old July 10, 2013, 05:53 AM   #25
stevelyn

Quote:
Can you recommend scopes that I should consider? The place that I hunt is very dense with jack pine trees.
I have a Leupold FX-II 4x on mine.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.