The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 4, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
Constantine

1911 "Falcon" by Iver Johnson. Any word?

Anybody know anything about Iver Johnson 1911's?

I'm curious about one that caught my eye. The "Falcon" which is a commander style 1911.

Where are they made? By who? Are they good or bad?

Google searches I've done already are way too erratic for my taste. Some say Philippines or Texas. That they're partners with Armscor. ATI. Rock Island.

Their website says they're now in Florida.

I don't know....

Reason I ask, I had a bit of extra cash and I put a down payment on one to hold onto it before it's gone. But it's no good I'll move the money towards something else instead.

Thanks in advance!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old July 4, 2013, 10:21 PM   #2
ricko

This is from Bud's Gun Shop:
"Iver Johnson 1911s are assembled in the Philippines by Shooters Arms Manufacturing, but they are made to Iver Johnson's specifications and design, using Iver Johnson's parts.

Iver Johnson 1911A1 models have a forged, CNC machined slide, and a cast CNC machined frame. All models have MIM parts and the slide and frame are hand fitted for a nice, tight fit."

I don't have any experience with them personally, though.
Old July 4, 2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Constantine

deleted

Last edited by Constantine; July 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old July 5, 2013, 12:35 AM   #4
Constantine

Alright.

Remington R1 1911 Government Model?

OR

Iver Johnson 1911 Commander Model?
Old July 5, 2013, 08:09 AM   #5
Quincunx

Last year I had a chance to shoot a couple of IJ's (forget the model names, but one was Commander-sized) for about 50 rounds each and they seemed okay. That's hardly a definitive test, but there were no malfunctions.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:25 AM   #6
g.willikers

It very much depends on how the gun will be used and how often.
Many of the lower priced guns work just fine - for awhile.
Some work for a long time in casual shooting, plinking terms.
But, it's been my experience that if the gun is going to get serious use, it's best to "raise your sights" a bit in choosing one.
Old July 5, 2013, 09:54 AM   #7
KyJim

Without getting into the quality of two guns (because I haven't shot either), you need to decide what you're going to use the pistol for. Range use definitely favors five inch barrels. It has a longer sight radius and is inherently, though only a bit, more reliable.

For carry, I favor the 4.25 inch barreled gun. For many, it's just the difference in the muzzle hitting the seat when you sit. Others don't have this problem. Some shooters also like the balance better. Only you can answer that question.

One final thought. Remington is made in the U.S. I don't know if they use any non-U.S. parts. The IJ is not. I don't normally buy my guns on this basis but some folks do consider it.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 5, 2013, 04:38 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
Alright.

Remington R1 1911 Government Model?

OR

Iver Johnson 1911 Commander Model?
Having handled pistols of both makes ... Iver Johnson, hands down without a nanosecond's hesitation.

Check some of the 1911 forums. Remington has done some truly screwy things with the way they machine the barrel bed and VIS in theeir 1911 frames. What they are doing is NOT conducive to pistol longevity.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
KyJim

Quote:
Check some of the 1911 forums. Remington has done some truly screwy things with the way they machine the barrel bed and VIS in theeir 1911 frames.
Thanks for the info. I hang around one of the forums but mostly in just a couple specific areas. Never looked too closely at the Remington.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old July 5, 2013, 07:52 PM   #10
lamarw

I would like some specifics or links to the following: "Remington has done some truly screwy things with the way they machine the barrel bed".

I have at least a couple thousand rounds thru my R1, and I see absolutely zero visible wear of the barrel, the frame or the slide. What specific component is the life of being shortened?

Other wise, I am calling "FOUL" on the above generalization.

A picture example of "built in defect" would be appreciated. If it has been noted, then surely someone can share a picture.
Old July 6, 2013, 05:52 AM   #11
thedudeabides

I have an R1.

Works out of the box. Lots of cheap parts and cheap construction.

When you go to a gun store the only 1911s that aren't always sold out are the Remingtons, Sigs and Kimbers... and the occasional cheap-o RIA with IKEA grips no one wants.

Buy yourself the SA Range Officer and save yourself a headache.

Cheap and 1911 don't go together well. These are guns that can literally last you DECADES if they're built right.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Constantine

lol I knew this would happen.

I'm choosing between those two ONLY because the vendor I put $200 on layaway with has those two 1911's available and I feel like having a bare bones 1911.

I have a few Colts and a Springfield Armory.

Just with bells and whistles. I really want a bare bones and that's what he has.

Now I feel like I'm in a lose lose situation based on this thread so far lol...

So.

Between the two. Which one would you pick?
Old July 6, 2013, 12:16 PM   #13
lamarw

I have not seen any negative feedback on the Ivory Johnson.

There are two slam dunks on the Remington R1 so far in this thread by two poster with general statements claiming poor quality components and/or planned poor design/workmanship. Maybe they are right, but I don't see it. I will continue to enjoy mine until I have a problem or worry about it when I hear some specifics.

Good Luck with your selections and let us know how it works out for you.
Old July 6, 2013, 06:54 PM   #14
RickB

I'm fairly certain that they're made in the Philippines, but not by Armscor/RIA. Perhaps the company that makes the "American Classic" models; S.A.M.?
Old July 7, 2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Constantine

Alright. Going with the Remington R1.

I'm buying this one on layaway. So it'll be a little while and a new thread when I get it.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:25 AM   #16
NJgunowner

If you want a no frills 1911 buy a Springfield Milspec.