The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 2, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1
cinomed

cz 52 9mm conversion

Hi guys I bought a cz 52 a few months back and was interested in getting a barrel and slide to convert it to 9mm. If anyone has any tips on how to do this or where to get parts for this please let me know. I know the barrel (9x19 I belive) is rare and hard to find. The one i did find the guy wanted almost as much as the gun and I don't see the point of spending that much on the barrel alone. If anyone has a barrel and/or slide they are willing to sell let me know, also I have read about people who have converted a 7.62 barrel to 9mm by drilling out and sleeving the barrel and I was wondering if this was actually possible if so whats the cost of doing something like that.

Im sorry if there is a post on this I am just trying to find an updated one,most are from 2010 or earlier.

thanks ahead of time
Old July 2, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't think you need a different slide, just a 9mm barrel.

Redman charges $300 to rebore a Mauser. He does not list the CZ and there are places that probably work cheaper, but not a LOT cheaper.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:01 AM   #3
cinomed

Ok thanks, I know I would not need a slide but just for convenience it would be nice to have and be able to mark it some how as to not mix them up.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
cinomed

I have also heard of people putting different rounds through a cz 52 is there a different barrel to consider besides 9mm?
Old July 2, 2013, 03:57 PM   #5
willr

I have one which I got some time ago. My CZ52 works great with Tokarev ammo. But it is a disappointment with the 9mm. Doesn't feed very well from one round to the next. I think that a redesign of the magazine would be a great help. I would say that if you have to lay out a lot of money for the 9mm barrel, you might wish you had spent it somewhere else.
willr
Old July 2, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
cinomed

ok are there any other cheapish milsurp guns worth getting? im looking into a mosin nagant and gonna get my girlfriend a nagant revolver for her bday anything else under say 250? also ive heard of ak build kits that you can get (minus receiver of course). how much do they run?
Old July 2, 2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Walt Sherrill

Getting your girlfriend a NAGANT revolver isn't a way to endear yourself to her.

The Nagant revolvers generally go bang when you pull the trigger, but they're mostly novelties. The ammo itself (I think it's 7.62x38) isn't cheap -- if you can find it. As for other milsurp guns with conversion barrels in 9mm Luger [9x19]; that caliber wasn't used by the Communists, so conversion barrels for Eastern Bloc guns are generally something an importer has developed to make money. Be wary -- a lot of them are troublesome.

A used Rossi or Taurus in .38 special might cost a bit more than the Nagant revolver, but will be easier to shoot well and the ammo will likely be less expensive and easier to find. You might even stumble across a used S&W 9mm semi-auto for just a bit more ($300+) and have something worth keeping and using.

One of the best places for used or surplus weapons is AIM SURPLUS (http://www.aimsurplus.com/) Check on them from time to time. They were selling the M/N revolvers in great shape for $100 or so, but that's a lot to pay for a gun that isn't all that useful. They're sold out of Nagant revolvers, right now.

Be warned: a lot of the small military surplus guns are NOT fun to shoot. If you just want to do something cheaply, check out a CZ-50 or CZ-70 (which shoots .32 acp), or a CZ-82, which shoots 9mm Makarov (9x18). The CZ 50/70 are heavy enough that recoil isn't too bad, and the CZ-82, while a bit more stout in recoil, is still quite manageable.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 3, 2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:40 AM   #8
ballardw

9mm is not quite a drop-in conversion for 7.62x25 because 9mm is shorter. Magazines really should have a block to make up some of the space or load ammo with bullets not as deeply seated. Look up the Norinco Tokarev's from a few years back and the 9mm had different magazines "narrow" than the 7.62x25 "wide" in the single stack pistols.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:05 AM   #9
kozak6

I think you are understating how difficult it is to find a 9mm barrel for the CZ52. Even if you run across another one, it's going to be similarly expensive.

If you want an obsolete inexpensive single stack 9mm military pistol, sell the CZ52 and get a Zastava M70. It's basically a Tokarev clone.

Ammo difficulties make the Nagant revolver a very poor choice for anyone interested in actually shooting it.
Old December 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #10
hrhcsh

CZ52 9mm barrel

I bought a 9mm barrel several years ago... never installed it.. I have a CZ52 with the 7.62 x 25 barrel AND the 9mm barrel up for sale at GunBroker.com
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=379800596

If anyone is interested
Old December 12, 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
CWKahrFan

Quote:
ok are there any other cheapish milsurp guns worth getting?
The CZ82 in 9x18 Makarov is a great gun, especially if you can find a little-carried one. You can get VERY nice new wood grips for them from CZ too... I've had this pic up a few times, but here it is again for those interested:

And here's my Zastava M70A in 9mm, which are being produced new now... same basic gun is also available new in 7.62x25:
Old December 12, 2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Valerko

Here's mine
http://youtu.be/7qk7mv2ovno
Old December 13, 2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Clark

I blew up a couple CZ52s in 2000 and did some investigating.
I bought an extra 10 CZ52 barrels from Century.
We tested those on an RC hardness tester at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory [that sounds cool, but I was just too cheap to buy a tester].

CZ52 barrels have very thin section of the chamber wall over the roller pin relief cut. That is where the splits form. The metal can be as soft as RC25.

But, the aftermarket 9mm barrel is RC47, which is like a modern Kel-Tec barrel.

What does it all mean?
The 9mm barrel is ~ twice as strong.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 13, 2013, 07:56 PM   #14
RX-79G

An FEG Hi Power clone can be had for under $250, and is an actually useful gun. Long military history.
Old December 14, 2013, 09:35 AM   #15
barnbwt

Quote:
Does RC hardness (a compressive test) actually relate directly to a metal's tensile yield point? (Whatever scale you used might, I know there's at least three of them). I know they're related, but I didn't think the actual hardness value X2 correlated to twice the tensile yield (or even compressive yield). What psi/kpa do those figures translate to for common carbon steel alloys (since I doubt the Czech's were using adamantium or cast iron )

The 9mm barrels are supposed to be jammers, but mine worked flawlessly after the first two rounds nose-dived (granted this was even with round ball). And be sure to keep an eye on the after-market barrel rollers; many of these were sub-standard --just like the original rollers-- and can go out of round and screw up the barrel and slide beyond fixing.

My 9mm barrel is strictly a fall-back for a time when tok becomes totally gone. Which I doubt will happen with all the subgun conversions still banging away out there, and because the round is legitimately fantastic (the world will re-learn this eventually)

Quote:
An FEG Hi Power clone can be had for under $250, and is an actually useful gun. Long military history.
Where might that be? I've only seen them for 350$ or higher recently (and I've been looking )

TCB
Old December 14, 2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Clark

Quote:
barnbwt
Quote:
Does RC hardness (a compressive test) actually relate directly to a metal's tensile yield point?
http://www.varmintal.com/rc-curve.png
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old December 14, 2013, 03:40 PM   #17
CWKahrFan

RE FEG HiPower clone:
Quote:
Where might that be? I've only seen them for 350$ or higher recently
Yeah... mostly higher if in decent shape... Great gun. Love mine.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:31 PM   #18
barnbwt

Thanks for the chart Clark, I didn't realize Rc was linear through the origin like that; I figured it was some obnoxious logarithmic offset curve that's hard to draw off-hand comparisons from . I also notice that Rc47 is basically at the highest point on the curve; surely the barrels themselves aren't that hard/brittle throughout, but only at the surface? How does that number compare to the CZ52 slide (if you tested?) When I drilled my slide for a tenon front sight, it was like grinding through glass (after three Cobalt bits I said "screw it" and bored through with a Dremel diamond ball). Did you do pressure tests on the soft barrel to see if it was dangerous with normal-level ammunition?

As cool as a Hi Power is, the 9mm simply doesn't do the same things a 7.62x25 can. A Tok is a more practical choice in that caliber since it's a more refined and forgiving design, not to mention they cost less. But, they're ugly and lame compared to the VZ

I desperately hope Zastava or whoever it was brings their PPZ (I think it was) in 7.62x25 to the US. Was gonna be a poly-frame double stack with a capacity of 20 rounds and a rail along the entire slide (hopefully not in lieu of real sights), and I believe derived from one of the CZ pistols.

TCB
Old December 15, 2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Clark

Quote:
barnbwt
.. I also notice that Rc47 is basically at the highest point on the curve; surely the barrels themselves aren't that hard/brittle throughout, but only at the surface? How does that number compare to the CZ52 slide (if you tested?) When I drilled my slide for a tenon front sight, it was like grinding through glass (after three Cobalt bits I said "screw it" and bored through with a Dremel diamond ball). Did you do pressure tests on the soft barrel to see if it was dangerous with normal-level ammunition?
I have not tested the slide of CZ52s for hardness, but I have split them like banana peels as secondary failures when the CZ52 barrel fails. It is possibvle that the slide was treated with Nitrate like a Glock slide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding

Numbers higher than RC47 are possible, see attached chart.
The only semi auto barrel I have ever seen that is as thin at the chamber as a CZ52 is a Kel-Tec P3AT. The little 380 has terrible case support, so it never sees more than 28kpsi without a case bulge.

There is a reason the small Kel-tecs are RC47.
There is a reason the case support is terrible.

Tags
cz 52