The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 1, 2013, 09:24 PM   #1
HeadHunter

Reloading a revolver

First in a series

Quote:
There are many more options for reloading a revolver than for reloading an autoloading pistol. They all have advantages and disadvantages. Broadly speaking, they can be divided into three categories; speedloaders, speed strips, and belt carriers. A fourth type, the moonclip, was originally designed as a way of using rimless ammunition in revolvers.

There are several manufacturers of speedloaders. Each manufacturer’s product is different and has different operating characteristics.
Methods for reloading a revolver.

"You can't go as deep [in] training as in a race or a fight. If you don't compete it's easy to convince yourself you're going hard. You're not." — Mark Twight
Old July 1, 2013, 10:01 PM   #2
James K
Staff

Note that there are now "moon" clips for rimmed cartridges that can be used with specially made or altered revolvers that can also accept rimmed cartridges without moon clips.

But the fact is that there is no way of reloading a swing cylinder or top break revolver equal in speed and ease with replacing the magazine of an auto pistol. That is one of the reasons auto pistols, in spite of some disadvantages compared to revolvers, have replaced revolvers in most military and law enforcement use.

Jim
Old July 1, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Navy joe

Can you add Maxfire to the list? Methods of use would be good too such as 2 at a time loading with speedstrips.

I personally despise any speedloader that doesn't look like a moonclip.
Old July 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Jim March

Wait, they don't list plugging in a 9rd magazine into a six-shooter. Huh?

Old July 2, 2013, 06:36 PM   #5
Navy joe

Most people don't have semiauto self ejecting revolvers, or whatever you're calling that thing these days.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:24 PM   #6
UncleEd

Not a speed loader per se but once upon a time I saw a suggestion of carrying loaded .45 1911 magazines for a Blackhawk .45 ACP; using the mags as easy to carry for reloads and then thumbing the rounds directly from a mag into the cylinder.
Old July 2, 2013, 09:45 PM   #7
bluetopper

When you think you get good at it, watch this short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw
Old July 3, 2013, 01:59 PM   #8
dahermit

The option I use to reload my revolver has not yet been mentioned. I shoot six, hand my empty revolver to my gun-bearer, take a loaded revolver from his hand, shoot another six, pass my empty gun back to my gun bearer, take a loaded revolver from his hand, etc. However, it should be noted that this method of revolver reloading is only available to those of us who can afford it.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old July 3, 2013, 02:33 PM   #9
jimbob86

Quote:
The option I use to reload my revolver has not yet been mentioned. I shoot six, hand my empty revolver to my gun-bearer, take a loaded revolver from his hand, shoot another six, pass my empty gun back to my gun bearer, take a loaded revolver from his hand, etc. However, it should be noted that this method of revolver reloading is only available to those of us who can afford it.
It worked pretty well for my daughters when they were smaller ...... only they had to stand there and smile and giggle while I refilled the cylinder ......

http://nefirearm.com/
Old July 3, 2013, 03:05 PM   #10
Webleymkv

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what is the going rate for a good henchman these days?
Old July 4, 2013, 05:31 AM   #11
Doug Ridley

You might also check out 5 star firearms.com speed loaders.
Old December 13, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
captainamerica1984

New York Reload

I like my semi autos no doubt the 1911 being a favorite.

As for revolvers now.

Well a lot of practice will be needed. Will we do it
is a question for us all?

The NY reload has its advantages are a plus. I am referring to a BUG AKA back up gun.

Many of us pack a 642 or other light weight .38 and having two is as easy to carry as a 1911 and 2 extra magazines.
Now the pair of J frames with a speed strip can give you 16 rounds plus a gun for a friend if needed.
Milt Sparks makes a fine IWB as well as Rob at Simply Rugged. The 9R Bianchi works too.

Do I practice reloading a revolver?
Not enough.
Old December 13, 2013, 09:29 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
But the fact is that there is no way of reloading a swing cylinder or top break revolver equal in speed and ease with replacing the magazine of an auto pistol. That is one of the reasons auto pistols, in spite of some disadvantages compared to revolvers, have replaced revolvers in most military and law enforcement use.
Tell that to Jerry M who fired, unloaded, reloaded and fired a total of 12 shots from his revolver faster than you could have emptied one 12 round mag from a semi.....
Old December 13, 2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Bob Wright

Also failed to be mentioned is my preferred way: Open loading gate, place hammer at loading notch. Rotate cylinder and insert cartridges one at a time, skipping second chamber, loading four more. Close loading gate, cock gun, ease hammer down.

If empties remain in the cylinder to start, rotate cylinder and punch out empties with the handy spring loaded rod located alongside the barrel.

With a little forethought and caution, and a .45 Colt, reloading usually can be done rather leisurely.

Bob Wright
Old December 14, 2013, 01:52 AM   #15
Bezoar

Reloading is a self defined activity, no two will do it the same. Just like washing your car. No two people wax the same way.

To many tactical courses on semi autos always have the user ejecting and dropping the magazines on the ground during a fight. "your in a fight, your not worried about saving that 35 dollar magazine anymore."

But if you drop your speed loader on the ground after reloading your revolver, its not a big loss. Sure speed loaders are not cheap, but you can always just pull loose rounds out of a pocket and load by hand. NOt so with that 25 round 9mm wonder gun
Old December 14, 2013, 10:34 AM   #16
boondocker385

i carry a revolver regularly either as a primary or bug. I practice reloading with speed loaders a lot! I routinely qualify with better times than those with semiautomatics.
Old December 14, 2013, 03:14 PM   #17
charlesc

what would be the best speedloader/s for beginners?
Old December 14, 2013, 04:52 PM   #18
ZVP

Reloads

I carry speed strips because they fit my clothing style. We live in a hot climate and they stow cleanly in a pocket without bulging. Hard enough to hide even a small Model 36 "Chief" with shorts and a "T" Shirt!
I have to admit that sometimes my little Beretta Tomcat .22 is the most Low Key to carry ( Like into a Bank to do business).
Speed strips require a lot of pratice to get the last couple shells in, The floppy strip vs the only 2 remaining holes for em!
Round nose bullets load easiest, HP's next and then KSWC's.
It's a learned art.
Hopefully, you WON'T need a reload!
BPDave
Old December 18, 2013, 10:32 PM   #19
DannyB1954

Speed Loaders

Another vote for 5 Star speed loaders. They are not round like some of their competition, so they fit cylinders with limited travel a lot better. Some of the other loaders bind on the hand grip.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:53 PM   #20
saleen322

I know this is showing my age but back what seems like 100 years ago now I was at a firearms school and a guy had a single action revolver. I would be a liar if I said I could remember what make/model it was but I wondered how he was going to reload under time. I watched this guy and he shot his 6 rounds, ejected the cases one at a time (quick too!) and then pulled out what looked like a piece of hose that had his rounds in it. He opens the gate, sets the tube in the opening, rotates the cylinder and the rounds fell in the cylinder out of the tube as the cylinder rotated, and he was back in business. Never seen anything like it!