The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 10, 2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Shotgun Willy

Mosin sight height.

I've got a Romanian M44 that shoots about 5 in. low at 25 yards. I know I can either raise my rear sight or file down my front sight, to remedy this. Using calipers I measured the front sight at .68 inch high, from the barrel to the top of the sight. Is there someone with an M44 and calipers out there, that can tell me how high their sight stands, to give me some idea about how much I'm going to end up adjusting this thing, please?
Old July 10, 2013, 09:15 AM   #2
tahunua001

what's the actual zero on it? if it's a standard 300 meter battle zero then filing more off the front to make it zero at 25 will make it jump completely off the paper at 100.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Shotgun Willy

Well, at 50 yards, it's almost a foot low. It's not even on the paper at 100 yards.
Old July 11, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4
tahunua001

it all comes down to what range you see yourself shooting on average and what the max range you plan on shooting.

if you ever plan on taking it out shooting something like a CMP GSM match then that's a 200 yard shot and would have quite a bit of bullet drop if it's zeroed for 25 yards. something like a 400 yard hunting shot would also have considerable drop however if you never plan to take it past 50 then lowering the sight may be the best option.

or if you're not trying to keep it original... try a smiths sight. a lot of people like them.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 13, 2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Shotgun Willy

I'm not a competative shooter, it's all for fun. The farthest I'm going to shoot is around 100 yards. Unfortunately, at 100 yards it's around 2 ft. low.
That being said, I found on the net where someones sight was 15mm tall. That's just over 2mm shorter than mine, which gives me a little idea about how much adjustment I might have to make. First I'll probably play with the rear sight a little.
Thanks for the help.
Old July 14, 2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Boomer58cal

To get 100 yard zero you'll probably be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch low at 25 yards or around a 10th inch high at 50 yards. 7.62x54R is right close to a .308 in the velocity department or maybe even a hair faster in factory loads.

Boomer
Old July 14, 2013, 10:46 PM   #7
tgstoken

Just raise the rear sight a notch.....