The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 2, 2013, 12:31 PM   #26
SgtLumpy

Quote:
[Ballistol]...The only thing is it does not cleen the burn rings from Revolver Cylinders.
I'd bet it might. I use BreakFree, nothing else. I don't go out of my way to clean the front of the cylinders. But if I apply some at the range, immediately after shooting, I can clean a lot of it off once I get home an hour later, with a patch or a toothbrush. BreakFree contains teflon. I think Ballistol is oil only. Perhaps the continued application of the teflon fills micro pits and voids and keeps the stuff from sticking. I'd have to guess that the pure oil Ballistol would do the same thing, maybe just not stay in the pores as well as the teflon.

But any product with oil in it would likely remove any carbon/lead/copper if you let it try and dissolve the gunk long enough and then applied some physical brushing.

Sgt Lumpy
Old July 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #27
HKGuns

Quote:
The only thing is it does not cleen the burn rings from Revolver Cylinders.
I've found nothing that is good at removing those rings short of a sandblaster. I've tried all of the recommended solutions and none work worth a hoot. (Including the lead removal rags which I fail to see how anyone claims work on those rings.)

I leave them be now.
Old July 7, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Chowder

Quote:
I've found nothing that is good at removing those rings short of a sandblaster. I've tried all of the recommended solutions and none work worth a hoot. (Including the lead removal rags which I fail to see how anyone claims work on those rings.)

I leave them be now.
That has been my experience. I have tried everything and just got used to them being there. I don't think sandblasting after every use would be good for the revolver lol.

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com
Old July 7, 2013, 11:55 PM   #29
Sevens

Flitz on a piece of paper towel will remove those rings from a revolver's cylinder face. I tried it once... I was amazed, ends up looking newer than new... and I will NEVER do it again.

The next time you shoot it, they'll be back. Removing them with Flitz does mean that you are using an abrasive. I did the math. It was a lousy exchange. I learned from the experiment and it's now in my past.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:56 AM   #30
Skrimshaw

If it's good enough for Hickok45, it's good enough for me.

Tags
ballistol