The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 29, 2013, 08:59 PM   #26
rickyrick

^^^^thats a good backup^^^
Old June 30, 2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Old Stony

I spent a couple hrs. bass fishing late this afternoon at a small lake. I normally carry a pistol wherever I go in the woods. Luckily one water moccasin waited for me to go the truck and get my S&W 629 that I have been carrying around lately. It wandered out in the water from under the dock where I was fishing. I no sooner got it shot and pulled it from the water and cut it's head off, than one a foot longer (4 ft) came out from under the same dock. A .44 special through it's head took the fight out of it quick.
Fishing in the south can be lots of fun...
Old July 5, 2013, 08:23 AM   #28
cat9x

we hunt hogs in Mitchell County, TX. Nobody carries any sort of backup firearm. My rifle is similar to yours, AR15 in 6.5 Grendel, what else do you need?
Old July 5, 2013, 12:20 PM   #29
Double Naught Spy

You know, sometimes a rifle isn't very convenient in a close quarters situation. That is part of the reason why having something smaller is sometimes a very good idea.

Pistols are especially useful for up close work, when you come face to face with a hog that you are looking for, but didn't know he was there until it was too late. This guy obviously had neither and he paid the price for it...
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...86#Post4366586

Even worse, the buddy with the rifle wasn't too quick to render aid when needed.
Old July 5, 2013, 12:54 PM   #30
Rmart30

I usually always carry a sidearm of some sort but its not carried for "hog back up" If I was going to it would be my 45 acp.

Rifle head shots are the only way to go on a hog if possible.... they drop right in their tracks. I have not had a head shot hog go more than 5 feet from where it was hit.

http://www.gunbanobama.com <---MUST READ
Old July 5, 2013, 02:08 PM   #31
deadcoyote

You should be good with an AR-10. I use a Stevens bolt action 30-30 so I carry a .357 revolver as back up. Also, do you have a buddy you trust with you? That goes a long way as well.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:55 PM   #32
txdragon

Yes. I carry along a .40 S&W M&P.
Old July 30, 2013, 07:23 PM   #33
BuckRub

If you'll be hunting high fence or on a paid hog hunt you'll probably never leave the truck or be in an elevated stand. So you don't need a back up but if you'll be in the woods with them anything can happen. And for those that say a lot or myths. They haven't hunted a lot. Hogs are the baddest North American animal we have. If you want one step further , wrestle a wild alligator.
Old July 30, 2013, 08:55 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

How do you collect the hog if you never leave the truck or stand?
Old July 30, 2013, 09:02 PM   #35
Doyle

Quote:
How do you collect the hog if you never leave the truck or stand?
In a canned hunt, the guide goes and gets the hog, cleans it, and gives you the cooler full of meat. Real girlie man hunting there.
Old July 31, 2013, 11:39 AM   #36
rickyrick

Hogs are mostly afraid and run away in random directions. Occasionally striking random objects.... Sometimes the random object is the hunter.

They are quite aggressive when captured or cornered. So I advise shooting them with a rifle and get your eye out of the scope quickly and apply the safety.
Especially in a group if pigs... It's an exciting time after the shot and you want to be paying attention
Old July 31, 2013, 02:21 PM   #37
robert1811

Bring your 44 mag along when you want to show some markmanship!
Old July 31, 2013, 03:51 PM   #38
sc928porsche

Always. Ruger Super Blackhawk.
Old August 1, 2013, 11:34 AM   #39
1tfl

In many years of hunting hogs I've never had one charge and attack me.
I've had hogs run by me in their attempt to escape and they think I was just another tree in the way. Unless they are cornered they'll run away from you, not towards you.

I always carry a sidearm when hunting. It's mostly for aggressive snakes and to apply the coup de grace on downed hogs. These days it's usually a Ruger Single Six in 22 Magnum. It also provides comfort against 2 legged predators.

When going into brushes to follow a wounded hogs I just grab the short barrel 12gauge shotgun loaded with slugs or the 45-70 lever gun. In close quarters short long gun with sufficient power is what I want to have to make sure the hogs goes down immediately.
Old August 1, 2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Dirty_Harry

I dont hog hunt, but whenever I deer hunt I have a sidearm. Why? Why not is a better question if you ask me. Its better to have it and not need it to need it and not have it.

My hunting buddies always call me paranoid, but they are coming around.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old August 1, 2013, 11:39 PM   #41
BIG P

Yes but its not a backup.Love to kill um with My SRH 454 up close But will take them anyway I can.anytime I can.
Old August 2, 2013, 12:13 AM   #42
BuckRub

Whoever says that a cornered pig are especially an injured pig when in deep woods are tracking it and say most of the time a pig will run hasn't hunted too much or either hasn't hunted them too much up close and personal. If I had a backup I'd dang sure have one on me. I've had a back up and had hogs jump on me and thank God I had a back up to shoot them off with.
Old August 2, 2013, 01:15 AM   #43
Whiskeyandbikes

Ditch the rifle and hunt with your pistol on foot.
Whiskey
Old August 2, 2013, 12:15 PM   #44
BIG P

I here ya Whiskey. Give me a couple 100 acs.of low land ''swamp''& a good handgun Let the fun begin.
Old August 3, 2013, 08:06 AM   #45
mxsailor803

I will always carry a backup. Normally a Remington 1911R1 but I got back into shooting .44's so now its a S&W 629 for me.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:35 AM   #46
Keg

Quote:
The "mean hog" stories are more myth than reality. If there is any danger it will likely be a case of hunting them with dogs and wading into the middle of the foray. This is normally the case if either a dog or hunter is injured by hog. Anything will defend itself and if I had a bunch of dogs chewing on my butt, I would fight back as well. I have killed over 300 hogs in the past 3 years both in the open and in traps, so I have a little experience with them.
I go along with this....

Good story DNS....
Old August 3, 2013, 12:40 PM   #47
FairWarning

Yes, 686 .357 Mag.