The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which 1911 for a noob to 1911's?
High end brands (Sig, Desert Eagle, etc)? 13 14.77%
Mid-price (Springfield, Kimber) 51 57.95%
Low price (ATI, Armscor/RIA, Chiappa?). 13 14.77%
Play it safe and stay away from 'em altogether? 11 12.50%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 28, 2013, 09:12 AM   #26
Louca

Quote:
I might add that I like the historical aspect of the platform. That finds me leaning heavily towards Springfield, Colt, and Remington
So ccwnut, can you modify your poll to show what category the Colt would be in so I can vote for it?

Lou
Old June 28, 2013, 10:06 AM   #27
hodaka

Ruger

No one has mentioned the best value in 1911's that is out there. Here is two 8 round mags offhand at 50 ft. from the Commander size that I picked up this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger.jpg (67.7 KB, 44 views)
Old June 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #28
polyphemus

Quote:
What does "RIA" mean?
Quote:
rock island armory
Rock Island Arsenal to be precise,largest United States owned weapons manufacturer,located in Illinois.
Armscor would like to appropriate the acronym.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:52 AM   #29
Dan-O

If I was in the market for a 1911 these days I would also get a Ruger.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:55 AM   #30
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyphemus
Quote:
What does "RIA" mean?
rock island armory

Rock Island Arsenal to be precise,largest United States owned weapons manufacturer,located in Illinois.
Armscor would like to appropriate the acronym.
I googled Rock Island Arsenal, and it does not appear to sell 1911s. Accordingly, it seems reasonable to assume that "RIA," when used in connection with 1911s, means Rock Island Armory.

If you ever have a real need for more than a couple of magazines, your problem is not a shortage of magazines. It's a shortage of people on your side of the argument. -- Art Eatman
Old June 28, 2013, 10:57 AM   #31
LockedBreech

Around $1,500 is the basement price for a 1911 I would consider to be as reliable as any other pistol on the market. This encompasses brands like Dan Wesson, the upper-end Springfields and Colts, etc. I consider the Dan Wesson Valor a particularly excellent example of an upper-middle 1911 that runs like a champ.

For a range gun, I'd be happy with a good number of brands ranging from $400 up.

Others may strongly disagree, and I respect that, but around that price is what it would take for me to trust a 1911 as much as a Glock / M&P / Beretta. Not that the 1911 is an unreliable design - it is, in fact, very reliable - just that I only trust the more expensive brands to build the pistol to proper spec.

An exception to everything I just said is the Ruger SR1911, about an $800 pistol. I truly trust Ruger to run. My family owns a ton of them and they have never, ever failed on us.
Beretta PX4; 92FS; 92S; 8040G | Rock Island GI 1911 | Sig Sauer SP2022; P6 | Colt Python 4"; 1968 Detective Special 2"| Smith & Wesson M642 No-Lock | Ruger LCP; 10/22 | Daniel Defense M4V1 | Remington 870 | Alpine M1 Carbine | Steyr M1895 |1943 Izhevsk Mosin M91/30 | Walther PPS
Old June 28, 2013, 11:28 AM   #32
RickB

Quote:
I might add that I like the historical aspect of the platform. That finds me leaning heavily towards Springfield, Colt, and Remington
If the historical aspect is important, then it pretty much starts and ends with Colt. "Springfield" and "Remington" have graced 1911s in the past, but they weren't made by either of the modern companies with those names.
Old June 28, 2013, 11:39 AM   #33
PetahW

Remington R-1: medium price, all steel, made in the USA - what's not to like ?

I bought this one new about 15mos ago for well under $600 OTD, and currently have put about 1700 rounds downbore w/o issue one.

I changed the hammer because I just happen to prefer Commander-style rowel hammers.

Old June 28, 2013, 12:05 PM   #34
Garycw

Wanting a 1911, which brand is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee View Post
I googled Rock Island Arsenal, and it does not appear to sell 1911s. Accordingly, it seems reasonable to assume that "RIA," when used in connection with 1911s, means Rock Island Armory.
They ARE two different entities Rock island arsenal has been around since 1832. It is a USA company and on arsenal island including a park has Nothing to do with Rock Island Armory which manufactures the 1911's in the Philippines

Last edited by Garycw; June 28, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 12:56 PM   #35
KyJim

Rather than thinking strictly of brand names, also think of individual models. Springfield, for example, makes a solid, but entry level 1911 called the Mil-Spec. Next they have mid-price models such as the Loaded series and Range Officer. The TRP is an upper level production pistol and the Professional Model is high-end, custom quality pistol.

For entry level priced 1911s, look at Rock Island Armory and the STI Spartan. Both are made by Armscor of the Philippines. The STI model is made to STI specs using STI's fire control system (sear, hammer, trigger, etc.). It will be priced a little higher than the RIA model. I love my Spartan 9mm.

For mid-range priced guns, the Springfield Range Officer and the Ruger SR1911 are good guns. For a little more money, buy a Colt (that's what I would do).

If it came down to two recommendations, it would be the STI Spartan toward the lower end ($650) and Colt at the mid+ price.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:16 PM   #36
Rupskin

I also have the Ruger SR1911, about 1,500 rounds downrange w/o any issues. For $700-$800 it is the definition of the perfect beginner 1911 imo.
Old June 28, 2013, 02:45 PM   #37
bac1023

I hate to say it, but that poll doesn't make a bit of sense. The only high end builder listed is Springfield, as in the Springfield Custom 1911s.

If you have some spare time to do some reading, check out my guide in the link below. I wrote specifically to help people figure out what they want in the complex world of 1911s.

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I do offer an educated opinion on some of my 1911s.

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthrea...u-1911-addicts...
Old June 28, 2013, 03:03 PM   #38
TacticalDefense1911

Wow, Sig and Magnum Research are "high end" 1911 brands? Time to do some more research.

When it comes to 1911's buy the best you can afford. If you can afford >$1000 then look at Colt, Dan Wesson, STI, higher end Springfields (MC Operator and TRP) and obvious "high end" guns like Les Baer, Nighthawk, Springfield Custom Shop and Wilson Combat. If you can't afford these guns then look at the S&W E-series, Springfield Loaded, Remington R1, STI Spartan and RIA.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:15 PM   #39
Venom1956

Yeah get some learning done from BACs write up. You'll thank him later.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:29 PM   #40
meadams314

Voted for high end.. Yeah, my sig was somewhat pricey but as far as 1911s go, it was by no means top dollar.

I was new to 1911s at the beginning of this year when I ordered my Sig Sauer STX .45... and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #41
Tucker 1371

COLT!!!! If you look hard enough you can get one for under a grand and AFAIK they use a minimum of MIM parts, machined hammers unlike Springfield and Kimber. Mine has been nearly flawless and stupid accurate.

*edit- they use machines hammers, not forged
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Last edited by Tucker 1371; June 28, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old June 28, 2013, 07:42 PM   #42
tomrkba

I have had great luck with Colts. I had an XSE Stainless and WW I Repro that both functioned beautifully with steel cased and JHP ammunition. The Springfields and Kimbers...not so much.

Try a Colt if you want a production gun that costs around $1,000.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:01 PM   #43
Tucker 1371

^ I've had the same experience. Steel case, brass, FMJ, JHP, 185gr, and 230gr ammo. It eats it all with no hiccups.
REV. 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:21 PM   #44
tomrkba

I think it's because of the little dimple on the barrel ramp.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:14 PM   #45
Tucker 1371

Colt Rail Gun
Old June 29, 2013, 06:39 AM   #46
wheelyfun

Colt Govt Model, since you like the classic look....

Or, I picked this Springfield Armory GI Champion up for less than 600.
It has been flawless through several hundred rounds (with a massively heavy trigger...)

Old July 1, 2013, 03:46 PM   #47
ClydeFrog

Time & $$$.....

If you have the time, $$$ & resources, Id opt for a high end, hand fit 1911a1 .45acp or 9x19mm(9mm Luger).
James Yeager, the firearms/tactics instructor who was in a scandal over his 2A remarks a few months ago, put out a decent argument for buying a high end 1911 series pistol. He had valid points but, to be fair I did not agree with all of Yeager's remarks. It's on www.youtube.com if you wish to review it.

I feel a custom or top grade 1911a1 pistol is worth the effort or $. If you choose to go that route, there are a few great pistolsmiths around the US.
The American Pistolsmith's Guild, www.AmericanPistol.com .
Respected shops include; Hamilton Yam(10-08 Performance), Dave Lauck(DL Sports), Cylinder-Slide.com, Larry Vickers, Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Wayne Novak, Cabot Arms, David Sams, David Olhasso; www.Olhasso.com .

1911 models have increased sharply since 2000 or so. Some models are better made than others. The new Ruger SR1911 line, the ParaUSA, the SIG, the Wilson Combat, the S&W, and Colt Defense are all very well respected.

CF
Old July 1, 2013, 05:41 PM   #48
PatientWolf

Try to identify your price range.

If I was looking to spend 600 or less, I'd look for SA, RIA

For 700 to 900, I'd probably look at Ruger, Remington and Sig, possibly Kimber.
Maybe a higher grade SA or RIA also.

For 1000+, I'd look at Colt, Wilson Combat, higher lever Remington or Sig and there are probably several excellent options that I'm not familiar with since this is really beyond the range I typically look.
Old July 1, 2013, 05:58 PM   #49
WVsig

There is no best there are only preferences when it come to the high end world of 1911s. Most of what you have listed in your poll does not even break into the low end of high end 1911s as other have pointed out.

There are low end production guns which have cast frames and lots of cast and MIM parts which you can get for $500 to $700. These guns will run but lack the refinement that many people desire. In this price range I like the RIAs and the STI Spartan. These guns have very little hand fitting but that does not mean they are not a good value.

Then you hit the worst part of the 1911 market IMHO. The $700 to $800 The Ruger, Desert Eagle, Auto Ordnance, Remington and every other company who could get production up and moving before 2011. All of these are unproven in terms of long term reliability. My issue is that all of these guns look like higher end 1911s and come with all the bells and whistles but in order to deliver that at a sub $800 price point they have cut corners and IMHO the product suffers. but if I had to choose one in this category it would be the Ruger

Stepping up from there is gets really messy. A lot depends on the style 1911 you are looking for. Are you looking for a classic gun or a modern rail version of the 1911. I personally like Colt and SA here. Both have a long standing history of making solid production line 1911s. Colts will hold their value better than any other 1911 in this price category. Expect to pay $800 to $1200 depending on your flavor. These are still production guns which will have some fitting but honestly not much more than the lower end guns. The finish and details will be better but that does not mean that they will perform any better.

S&W and Sig get their own category here in this middle production. I separate them because both of them use an external extractor. Sig also uses a blocky slide profile which make holsters harder to find. I have owned example of both in the past I currently do not own any. They are solid performers but I would take the standard extractor setup over these 1911 like guns. These guns run about the same as the Colts and SAs.

From there you get into the world semi custom guns which are the gateway drug to the high end world of 1911s. These are guns which are production guns but have a higher quality of materials and fitting associated with them. They run from $1300 to $2500. For me Dan Wesson and Les Baer dominate this price point. Dan Wessons are prettier and a bit more refined in terms of finish but there is just something about the no nonsense approach Les Baer uses in making his 1911s. Yes Les makes some guns tipping the $4000+ mark but the bulk of what he makes is right in this price point. I consider both of these semi custom because for the most part they are built to a set configuration without true customization.

From there you are getting into the $2500 and up range which encompasses the highest end semi custom guns like the off the shelf Ed Browns and Wilsons on up to the world of full house custom makers.... Guys like Ted Yost, Jim Burton, Yam, Jim West, Vickers, C&S, Novak etc.... At this point you pick your smith based on the type of gun you want in the end. These guys all have a style and flare to their work and if you are willing to pony up the $$$ and wait for your individual gun to be produced to your exact specs they will deliver. Who can argue with anyone who has put in the time and the money to get a gun of this level of craftsmanship and customization that they do not have the "best" 1911 for them.

For me this is where the law of diminishing returns really kicks in for me. Everytime I consider a gun at this level I think what will it do that my Dan Wesson or Les Baer cannot. You are paying for fit and finish at this level. It is impossible to be objective when spending this kind of money. At this level truly there is no universal best only preferences. For many people the law of diminishing returns kicks in much sooner and in the end that is why the "best" is always subjective.
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa

Last edited by WVsig; July 1, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old July 1, 2013, 06:03 PM   #50
thedudeabides

WVSig... I tend to agree, that you're hard pressed not to find a near "perfect" 1911 between DW, SA, and Colt's higher end offerings.

But everyone needs to have at least one full custom 1911, right?