The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 26, 2013, 11:41 PM   #1
ckpj99

A Target I Can See, Please

So I took the Mosin out to the range today. I always print my own targets because I think buying them is a waste. I made something I figured I could see at 100 yards with iron sights. This one has a three inch diameter bullseye, the white area inside the red circle is six inchs diameter. The outside of the red circle is seven inches diameter.

The problem is that the thing is not easy to see for me. All the shapes just bleed together.

The photo shows one of my better groups and what the target looks like. I'm obviously not a crack shot. 100 yards with open sights is simple for some folks, but I'm just getting used to shooting that far.

So, my question is if there's a better design for a target that's easier to easy. I've heard a big black X might be easier to line up on or just a giant square. I don't know. What I do know is that I was floating all over the target because I didn't have a sharp line or something to hold on.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg targetgroup.jpg (203.0 KB, 131 views)
Old June 27, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

try black ( harder to see your shots ) but much easier to aim towards... ditch the outer ring... & make your dot bigger

I use a 2" black dot at 50 yards, a 4" black dot at 100 yards, an 8" black dot at 150 yards, an 8.5 X 11" black sheet over some blank news print at 200 yards, & 2 black sheets ( total of 11" by 17" ) over blank news print at 300 yards

when I'm shooting milsurps with iron sights on my range
Old June 27, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
g.willikers

Try putting vertical and horizontal lines through the center of the target.
Like a scope reticle.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:43 AM   #4
PawPaw

A black on white target is just about ideal for iron sights, and for square-topped sights, a square is better than a circle. Think a 3" black square on a white target background.

Go to Targetz.com and look around. I like the #10116 for iron sights.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 27, 2013, 11:31 AM   #5
wogpotter

For irons I like the old "Tin Hat" targets. You just "make a mushroom" with the target & the front sight.

My favourite construction materials & method?
Paper 8" plate, spray paint black.
Staple to backer.
Staple sheet of printer paper across bottom half.

To score remove paper & look at the whole thing.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 27, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
ckpj99

Thanks for the input guys.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Jim Watson

The standard bullseye target, meant to be shot at with iron sights, is 5.5 to 6 MOA, black on a buff or off-white background. Too small or cluttered targets are hard to hit.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:06 AM   #8
SteelChickenShooter

I read someplace that the color red "washes out" against white in daylight.
In a pinch, if I visit the range without my usual targets, I use strips of common black electrical tape to make a cross on white cardboard. The strong vertical and horizontal lines really help in setting the sights on target. I feel that if I am comparing ammo brands, this configuration gives me a reliable and repeatable aiming point. The cross is made of 1/2 or 3/4 inch strips of black tape. When I align my sights I slowly move the rifle on and off the cross in both directions to be sure where the rifle is aimed. When I am confident, then I squeeze.

Last edited by SteelChickenShooter; June 30, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old June 30, 2013, 09:36 AM   #9
Duzell

does the front sight vanish on dark points? i know this is a common iron sites problem thats solved by painting the tip of the front site with bright model paint.

target wise on my mosin i shoot at black targets that i get at my range, one of the ones i find easy to shoot are the weird zombie targets, as they are bright and have designated target points setup on them that are easy to find and hit

Firearms Project(s): TM15 WIDOW(C), AR10 DRK WYVERN
Old June 30, 2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Jerry45

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://gunloads.com/modules.php?name...&g2_itemId=254
Old June 30, 2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Bake

Because of wave length, one should try to stay away from RED. Both scope and iron sights...
Old June 30, 2013, 05:10 PM   #12
SteelChickenShooter

Targets

I'd like to comment about the Jerry45 post and Targets.com.
I've been there and done that. Also found a number of other online target websites that contain a good variety of targets from bulls eye, novelty, games to target as well as sighting in. When I print my favorites I go to Staples to copy mass quantities. The cost isn't so bad when I save my paper and printing ink if I want a couple hundred of different kinds.
Old June 30, 2013, 11:56 PM   #13
ckpj99

I definitely copy the targets at Staples.

I quick note to those interested. I actually design my own targets in photoshop once I find an idea I like. That way I can guarantee the dimensions are correct.

After reading though what you guys have said, I designed a few new targets.

The first set is five inch black square and another with a 5" dot.

The second is a five inch 50% grey square and another with a dot. My idea here is that it should still be dark enough to see, but light/dark enough to holes easily in.

The third set is a neutral blue dot (and matching square). The blue I chose is exactly in the middle of light spectrum. It's sort of a neon color.

The last one is a big black X. The center of which is 3 inches.

I'll get a bunch of these printed and then see what works best.
Old July 1, 2013, 10:53 AM   #14
bamaranger

paper plates

For a long time now I have used common white paper plates as targets for my iron sighted rifles. The big 9" type at 100, the smaller 4" (?) inside 100. I buy'em at the dollar stores in the big bundles. I'll take a marker and make a 1-2 MOA circle if I'm shooting a scope, usually trace a quarter or jar lid.

On bead sights, the bead seems to fit nicely over the plate, for a consistent, repeatable hold, and I expect the impact to be centered. On a post/peep rifle, I hold 6 o'clock and expect the group at the base of the plate. I cannot consistently hold center with a post on the plate get good groups, they will string vertically. At 100, a 8 1/2- 11" sheet of typing paper works pretty good for a post/peep as well.

Typically I'll spray paint the cardboard target backer black, and staple the plate right on it for a good contrast. That all seems pretty simple, but I don't know if I've seen anybody use plates at our local range.

Heck, I don't know if I see anybody shooting irons, except the Nagant and SKS/AK guys.
Old July 1, 2013, 01:04 PM   #15
FrankenMauser

For iron sights, I like using triangles or Xs with large, blocky designs.
You have to be willing to use a lot of ink/toner, though...

Here's an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iron_sight_target.jpg (16.8 KB, 56 views)