The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 26, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
grubbylabs

I just got a new toy

I came across a post on another forum recommending The Little Crow gun Works case trimmer, so after reading a bunch of positive feed back on it at midway I decided to give it a try.
Yes it is spendy and I would not recommend this for every caliber one shoots, I am certainly not going to buy one for my 300 win. I just don't shoot it enough to justify the expense.

But if you find yourself with a large number of rifle brass to trim, say 223, this thing is awesome. It is easy to set up easy to use, and very very fast. It does make quite the mess, but well worth it in my opinion.

I used a case I had already trimmed to set up the depth and one miner adjustment later I was trimming brass so fast I could not believe it. Great product but expensive

So far it seems to be quite accurate as well, every case comes out the same length. I will need to slightly debur most cases but so far it is very fast and easy.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 26, 2013, 02:31 PM   #2
mchris80

Does it trim pretty square? I tried the Possom Hollow trimmer and they always seemed a little off.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:16 PM   #3
grubbylabs

From what I could tell it does a pretty good job, I found the key to getting things just right was to get the drill going at a pretty good speed and then press the case in firmly. Holding it in my calipers there was only one or two that let a little lite through.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 26, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
osirus82

I made the same call, i was looking for a trimmer and didnt want a manual one. I bought the updated WFT with interchangeable calibers, i only picked up the .308 for now but im sure, ill order a couple more. I'll let ya know how it works soon enough.
Old July 26, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5
stubbicatt

Interchangeable calibers?

I have the 308 and it is just fine. I choose to follow the videos where the guy gives the case a 90 degree twist as he finishes off a case to assure that the necks are square. It seems to work just fine.

Now, I'm thinking of the 6.5x47 Lapua. I have a Lee trimmer stud and lock ring and that will be enough for now.
Old July 27, 2013, 09:40 AM   #6
g.willikers

Having the cases index on the shoulder, rather than the rim, should reduce the influence of drill run out.
Old July 27, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Sevens

My buddy pulled off a deal that brought a Giraud trimmer to his load bench.

Let me just say, whatever you think you might have imagined about one of these... yeah, it's true. It's awesome. It is what you wished every piece of American made product could be. If he could improve the design of this unit, I couldn't tell you how he'd do it. (frankly... I'm betting that if he COULD improve it, he would, this seems to be his style of ingenuity and production)

These things are expensive. In fact, expensive might not be the term you would use if you've never heard of one and you click now to check it out.

When I see what he's created in the Giraud trimmer, I can only smile and think "wow, I hope he gets wealthy... because he deserves it."

I'd love to own one myself but I couldn't justify the purchase considering how very little trimming I do. (I'm like 97% all handguns) But I do take brass to my buddy's house on occasion and trim them with this top-of-the-line piece of equipment.

http://www.giraudtool.com/prod02.htm
Please don't react violently when you see the price.
It's fact that you don't need to spend your money on one... there's a dozen guys waiting behind you with cash in hand to get one.
Old July 27, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8
osirus82

looks nice, but for 1/4 the cost you still get a electric trimmer with the WFT, everyone i know has a electric drill.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Sevens

It's better than nice.
It's not for everyone. In fact, as mentioned, it's not for me considering my needs.

But I'd love to own one.
Old July 27, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
osirus82

It would be nice if we all had the money to buy the best of the best all the time, maybe when i hit the lotto. Im trying to get a good bench started from the beginning and spending smart and with current technologies. I think i will pick up that thumlers tumbler and the stainless steel media too.
Old July 27, 2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Reloader2

I just got a new toy

For hunting loads I find the Lee trimmers work fine.