The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old June 26, 2013, 10:59 PM   #26
BuckRub

I'm in the boat that it takes the sheriffs dept about 2 hours to show up here and non emergency I doubt they'd even show up. I keep our gate shut and locked at all times plus we have a large dog outside so if someone is at my door it's fixing to hit the fan.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:47 AM   #27
stonewall50

Door bell rang at 2am, called the police

My action depends on the tone of my doorbell. I really recommend my brand of door bell. It can tell you if someone is supposed to be there or not. I mean. Not super reliable, but more reliable than you would expect. She is a hillbilly doorbell. She is a slinky little golden retriever who is actually a quality guard dog. She doesn't trust ANYONE that comes in the yard, especially males. She is a biter too. Everyone who comes by knows to let us know and not get out of the car till we put her up.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:03 AM   #28
teeroux

Well I have to answer the door. My home might as well be one of the Sheriff's law enforcement centers with the patrol unit parked outside. I have had folks walk up to my home needing a Deputy. One of the reasons I'm always armed around the house even if its just a pocket pistol and I'm just cutting grass or cooking.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:41 AM   #29
johnelmore

I guess it all depends on where you live and there are lots of variables.

I am not one to call the police prefering to handle most situations my own way. Its just that Im getting older and got a little paranoid. Id like to live the longest life possible and so I thought this would be the safest way to approach things.

Im sure this was some kids and the local police got a good laugh over me getting freaked out over the doorbell. However, this seemed like the safest solution to a weird situation. If some stranger was in the woodline looking on then now they know I call the police fast. I also did turn on all the outside lights.

Ive learned when things seem a little weird its best to take action sooner and the action taken should be the one of less trouble.
Old June 27, 2013, 03:33 AM   #30
alex0535

When I was the victim of a break in, it was around 5am. There had been a confrontation at a party next door a few hours prior. So 5am rolls around and our front door is kicked in by 5 large guys, one comes inside yelling things I can not say here.

He was lucky I was not armed at the time, but I confronted them anyways (there was a pit bull a shotgun in my roomates room) so I just tried to make as much noise as I could manage. Once they realized that they were not in the same house that the confrontation happened in they quickly backed out of the door and the police were called. They had a very conspicuous getaway vehicle and the police had them a half mile away.

If I had been armed, there would have been a lot less yelling and a lot more dead guy in our house. I am of the mentality that if you kick in someone's front door, you deserve whatever you meet on the other side of that door. I bought a machete the next day to hold me over until I got a 12 gauge because the police only got 3/5 of them. We didn't have any more problems from them, which I am thankful for.

Crazy things can happen in the middle of the night, might of been kids playing ding dong ditch, or it could have been a potential home invader. You just don't know. Having a good sized dog with a mean bark and bite if it comes to it will change the mind of most potential home invaders.
Old June 27, 2013, 03:47 AM   #31
Mike / Tx

The last time mine range at 2 am I got out of bed, 1911 in hand and looked through the front curtain since you can't see through my solid front door. When I did I got a flashlight in my face. This didn't make me feel very well at all until the voice behind the light said, sir this is the Police, and he shined the light on himself.

By this time I had moved into a different position, made it known I was armed, and could clearly see several others out front as well as a couple of patrol cars.

When I opened the door the officer asked if I had put the firearm away, and proceeded to enlighten me to the fact they had a teenager in custody that my neighbor had caught breaking into one of our vehicles.

All said and done, the neighbor had come in from work late, and the kid simply jumped into the back seat and tied to hide. Well the neighbor having a CCW, pulled his cell phone out, called the police, and held the fellow until they arrived a few minutes later. The end result was the kid had gotten into several other car along our street. The officer asked if there was anything else he could do, and asked if I wanted to speak the the fellow.

When I talked to him he was a VERY scared kid around 13 or so, just into a little mischief. I told him how VERY lucky he was that things turned out as well for him as they did and that he should consider this a learning experience and straighten his life out right now. It could have easily have gone down several very worse ways, especially had he tried to confront the neighbor or even myself had I been aware.

I never answer the door without looking first and from one view I can see who or what is on the porch. The door isn't going to simply be kicked in, we had it replaced with a commercial steel one and the frame reinforced extensively. So if the bell rings and I don't like who is there they get a warning first, if it doesn't ring, but the door is being kicked, well it had better be the fire dept with lots of flashing lights going on or things are getting deep quick. The response time here is about 2-5 minutes due to our proximity to the central station, and if gun is mentioned in a call it is cut dramatically.
Old June 27, 2013, 03:51 AM   #32
JimmyR

Better to call the police for nothing than to get in over your head. Personally, I'd rather call police than have to kill someone in self defense. As long as you tell the objective truth to the 911 dispatcher, so that he or she can prioritize your call appropriately, then I would have no qualms with someone "pre-emptively" calling police when there is a percieved possible threat.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:32 AM   #33
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Better to call the police for nothing than to get in over your head.
You can't be bothered to first look out a peep hole or window first to determine if there is a need? Maybe it is your neighbor and s/he needs help?

Hello, 911, What is your emergency?

Uh, yeah, somebody rang my door bell and it is dark outside. I need a cop to come and check to see who is here and to let me know if it is safe for me to answer the door or not.

Interesting...
Quote:
As long as you tell the objective truth to the 911 dispatcher, so that he or she can prioritize your call appropriately, then I would have no qualms with someone "pre-emptively" calling police when there is a percieved possible threat.
Okay, so your bell rings and you preemptively call for the cops to come. You are honest with them and 911 realizes that you don't have an emergency, but the dispatcher prioritizes your call somewhere down on the list. Now, likely possibly several hours later, the cops show up. What good has that done you? Your doorbell rang at 2:00 am. Either the people won't be there because people usually don't hang around on doorsteps for hours at a time and so the cops aren't going to do you any good, or whatever bad might have been about to happen is long over. What good was accomplished by calling the cops? They won't be there in a timely manner. You just wasted resources unnecessarily and possibly kept an officer unavailable to help somebody else who may have been in real need. Yeah, it is better for you if the cops shoot somebody instead of you, but that isn't going to happen, is it? The situation will be over, possible hours before the cops arrive.

So maybe it was your neighbor who was in need of help, great job helping them, huh?

And what are you going to do when the cops show up at 4:00 am? Are you going to call the cops again to make another request for help?

Somebody ringing your doorbell isn't a "perceived possible threat." All you know is that somebody has rung your doorbell. They are no more of a threat than anyone else at any given time that you don't expect.

This leads to the query then about the timing. Do you answer the door in the daytime? Do you at least check the peep hole or out a window? If you do answer or check in the daytime, then we know it is an "afraid of the dark" issue. Deal with it as noted above with some security lights or security camera.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:32 AM   #34
johnelmore

Law enforcement is not just supposed to stop crime which is happening, but to prevent crime and investigate suspicious activity which might turn into crime as well. Activity like someone going around ringing bells should be investigated. It could be some kids or it could be say a burglar who is testing the waters so to speak or maybe even a maniac/home invader who might be testing the waters. In any event, someone is trespassing on the property which is a crime.

I live in a small town with a police force which is not at all busy. These guys sit around all night and go on a random call like this one every now and then. I know this because I go to the town meetings and look at the police blotter.

I am a tax-paying citizen, I pay real estate taxes unlike someone who rents or lives in the town under other circumstances. I do not use the town's services unless you mean the road or other incidental services.

I dont feel at all like I am burdening the local department with my phone call to them about the doorbell. I have never really called them or used their service. Lets just say this is their way of giving back to me after I most graciously contributed to the pension funds after many years of giving by way of real estate taxes.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:51 AM   #35
Garycw

I've actually had this happen once but more like 11::30. We're way out in the country, normally no visitors after dark( it was getting dark then at 6:30.
I went out back door,flashlight in one hand. -.45 cal in other hand at side. Out of sight.
It was wife's aunt and her son coming back from late church function and saw light on and stopped. They never even saw I had a gun in my hand. End of story. I've always been one to meet things head on and not wait to come to me.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:59 AM   #36
45_auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelmore
I called the police because my doorbell rang. They sent one car down who ran up the street a few times with a flood light, flashed a light in my yard and comforted me saying it must be a short circuit in my bell.
How long did it take the cops to get there?
Old June 27, 2013, 08:03 AM   #37
Patriot86

Quote:
Depends on where you are. If my doorbell rang (except I don't have one) at 2 AM and I called the sheriff, I'd be lucky if they got here by daylight.

THIS

If I called 911 where I am most of the year I might have a good response time from the cops.

If I called 911 while up at my families Wisconsin Property I would be lucky to see an officer in 1-2 hours. I know because we have called about tresspassers before and thats how long it took.

Last time I had something strange happen (Unknown repeated banging from the garage) I told my wife to stay in the bedroom and call 911 if she hears shots, grabbed my AR and went to investigate. Thankfully it didn't end up being someone or a critter in the garage, ended up being our boiler misfiring.

Last edited by Patriot86; June 27, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:33 AM   #38
Seaman

Am a heavy sleeper. Was awoken by banging at the front door. Grabbed the Makarov from under my pillow, and also a 44 special from the night-time emergency lock-box. Checked the front porch thru side window but could not make out who? was there. Was not sure what to do. Parked myself in a sofa chair 10 feet in front of the door with the Makarov in one hand and the 44 spl in the other.

Banging stopped and about 5 minutes later the police arrived, with spotlights scanning the house and property. By this time I had my jeans on so I just stuck my 2 handguns in my belt, Mexican style, and talked to the cops, (they did not even bat an eye at this).

My house is my castle, and if someone tries to break in, they will be dealt with in a just and appropriate manner.

Call 911 ? ... yes.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:38 AM   #39
SgtLumpy

Find the YouTube by Mas Ayoob on how to answer a strange knock in the middle of the night. Answer the door without GOING to the door.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 27, 2013, 12:27 PM   #40
2ndsojourn

From johnelmore:
"In any event, someone is trespassing on the property which is a crime."

Someone merely ringing your doorbell isn't tresspassing unless and until they're told to leave.

The best thing to do if you can't see who is there is talk loudly through the door. And at 2:00 am, I'd be armed.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:27 PM   #41
MLeake

I should have added "intercom" to my earlier list.
Old June 27, 2013, 12:42 PM   #42
csmsss

An intercom is a good idea; a security camera is a better idea. If you answer the intercom, unidentified person knows you're home. With a security cam, you can observe your doorway area without unidentified person knowing whether you are there or not - and you can do so from any room in your home (web-based cams are available that allow you to monitor a camera from any web-connected device).

I simply don't understand why anyone would feel the need to answer the door to someone they don't know and aren't expecting. Your door is the primary device separating you from things which might do you harm. Why would you let someone through it unless you're quite sure who they are and why they are there?

Last edited by csmsss; June 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:23 PM   #43
Slopemeno

*knock-knock*

Who's there?

"Uh, yeah man. Can I borrow a towel-my car just hit a water buffalo"

"Hello- 911? Hey, hows it goin'? Yeah, some guy I don't know just knocked on my door at 2:00 AM and said he just got into an accident"

Curiosity is a powerful force, but one we should be able to monitor and control. If someone unknown to me is knocking on my door at 2:00- it sounds like they need the help of the Police, or Fire, or AAA.

How did I find out I don't know them? I asked from behind a closed door. I'm under no obligation to open my door to anyone. Battery is dead? AAA. Cars in the ditch? AAA and Police. Etc.

Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you'll emerge victorious from a struggle for control of it.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #44
Onward Allusion

Depends on your area. Calling 911 because someone rang your doorbell at 2 AM would be an overreaction, IMO. Calling 911 because someone is pounding on your door trying to get in, different story. In either case, I'd grab a gun and light and look through my cameras before doing anything else.

Seriously guys, most of y'all spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on your toys every year. Why not spend $100 on a wireless camera that hooks to your computer? What, you're a total Luddite? Ok, spend $100 on a wireless baby monitor camera aimed at your door, instead.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old June 27, 2013, 02:09 PM   #45
manta49

Good advice if you feel you need to ring the police ring them,better safe than sorry.
Old June 27, 2013, 02:12 PM   #46
Seaman

"...if you can't see who is there is talk loudly through the door."

"I asked from behind a closed door."

Be sure to be away from the door, (off to the side of the door), recall a case where a woman was shot dead thru a door. During my little episode, I was 10 feet from the door sitting in a sofa chair off to the side, in a blind spot.

MLeake's point re an intercom is good, and csmsss' post pretty much nails it.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:03 PM   #47
kgpcr

As a kid when we slept out in the back yard we had on occasion played ding dong ditch during the night. Ring and run
Smith M&P 40
Old June 27, 2013, 09:53 PM   #48
Mobuck

Just makes me so glad I don't live in town. For my doorbell to ring at 2AM would require some carpenter and electrical work to install a bell which I'm sure would set the stage for an interesting confrontation. This area is still mostly "knock and wait" . "Call the police" would get a response as noted before-maybe about daylight.
If someone hammers on my door at 2AM, I'll answer after doing a careful "look,see" with my nightstand pistol loaded and ready. Around here the more likely scenario would be the visitor sitting in the driveway honking the vehicle horn until a light came on inside the house. My grown kids wouldn't even come to the house at that hour w/o calling first.
Old June 27, 2013, 10:31 PM   #49
Garycw

To be absolutely safe, after the doorbell ring or knocking, empty about 15-20 rounds of 7.62x39 through the door first before opening. Use a figure 8 pattern. Should be clear then, but its best to save 10-15 extra rounds just incase after opening to be sure. Guaranteed to stop those annoying late night/ early morning disruptions. )

Last edited by Garycw; June 28, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old June 27, 2013, 11:35 PM   #50
Patriot86

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOa7sLXv_bY

Not the best tactic...

Closest I ever came to this situation was a knock on my door by a woman at 9AM, I had never seen her in my building before and I was very careful opening the door. Mindful of some kind of a trick I actually have my P229, in hand, behind my back(easy to hide, I am a biggg guy) the whole time. The woman was drunk or high or something, dressed in PJ's and said she needed matches and asked if I "smoke", I told her I had no matches and I didnt "smoke" and she went away.