The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 28, 2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Gunplummer

New ammunition

I got a Cabela's Shooting catalog in the mail the other day. I glossed over it and it seemed as if most of the ammo was backordered. I have to wonder, if the production is really geared up on ammo, will the quality start to suffer. Do you think we will start to see more recalls on ammo in the future?
Old June 28, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
AllenJ

I would think so. More production most likely means new employees, and that means more newby mistakes.
Old June 28, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Unless there is some maintenance problem for the equipment, odds are that any drop in quality would be very, very small. It's amazing how little human interaction is needed with automated equipment.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Boomer58cal

Some ammo manufacturers added anther shift, going from two 8 hour shifts a day to three 8 hour shifts a day. So the equipment isn't going faster , they just trained more people to keep it running 24/7.

I have seen the quality of brass go down lately. I think some companies are taking short cuts to increase production.

Some companies are still back ordered over a year.

Boomer
Old June 29, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5
tahunua001

I would say not. if there was it would be slight. it's not like the manufacturers upped their production to 25 hours a day in increase productivity over the existing 24 hour days. overseas companies like PRVI and tula probably have no idea that there is even a shortage here and would likely just go about business as usual.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Boomer58cal

From what I've read pretty much every ammo manufacturer in the world is at full output because of the shortages here. At least the ones that sell to the U.S. The panic here has caused shortages all over the world.

Boomer
Old July 6, 2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Marksinsoni

I'm a proud owner of PTR, G3, M1, and LeEnfield M4 all chambered 308.

I buy my ammo direct from a factory called Seneca Armory. Email them at Sales@SenecaArmory.com/ Really high quality brass and affordable 7.62Nato ammo.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
tahunua001

that 308 ammo is almost a dollar a round... this time last year it was 60 cents a round.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
Marksinsoni

I buy from Seneca Armory 147g 7.62x51mm a plenty. I mostly email them. The factory direct prices I mostly get are between $.73 to $.89. Give them a try. I'm loaded up for my average 2000 rounds a month. Will buy more in mid August.

Once more advice, buy as much as you can before September 2013. Another shortage coming as politicians get us embroiled in ME again. Also 2014 congress elections are gonna make those prices skyrocket again.