The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2013, 01:38 PM   #1
tristar viper

Used H&K USP 40

Went to the LGS today with every intention to buy something in 40.
Unexpectedly, I saw a used USP in the case. Had them get it out, I looked it over, build code tells me it is an 07 build, and this gun doesn't even have 200 rounds through it. It has 3 magazines, one of which is an extended, and everything is absolutely perfect. It's a V1 with the safety/de-cock lever. They allowed me to take it down to the range and put 10 rounds through it. I darn near put all 10 through the same hole. Very easy to shoot consistent.
They're asking $700, I tried to deal by offering them $650 and they flatly said "NO".
I think $700 is a reasonable price, isn't it? This 2007 model is no different than what they build now, because they had a brand new one in the case and we compared them, and the new was just under $1000.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Kevin_d77

Do it
Old June 9, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
HK_Flo

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

You could probably sell the 16 round extended mag for $100. They are pretty rare.

Hell, I'll give you $50 bucks for it, that's $650 right there:
Old June 9, 2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Dragline45

Often times it's best that if you find a gun in the shop you like, and the price is good enough, it's best to just grab then and there as it might not be there when you go back. I think the fact that you shot the gun so well is reason enough to grab it, for all you know the next USP you shoot might not be as inherently accurate as that one you shot.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5
tristar viper

I'm a huge H&K fan, always have been. Was not intending to buy one though due to cost. I went there looking at Glocks, M&P's, and XD's.
Then I began walking around and found this H&K in the used case....the last time I shot a USP was February, it was a 9mm, and I swore I'd own a USP at some point.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
HK_Flo

The USP was originally conceived as a .40 gun, best caliber for it IMHO.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
tristar viper

I do know that with some 40 cal brands/models you can drop a 357 Sig barrel in and essentially have 2 calibers with the same gun. Without looking I don't think that can be done with this gun....I don't even believe a USP can be had in 357....am I right?
Old June 9, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
HK_Flo

There was a .357 sig compact version but it was special order only. Not many out there.

I looked into a 9mm conversion at one point for my .40 but concluded it was not worth it. The frame is the same but you need to buy a whole new slide, barrel, and mags and it ends up being more expensive than just getting the 9mm.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Bluestarlizzard

Dude, when a gun that does right by you is $700 from a company known for high quaility, you do not leave it behind.

Go back and get it.
Old June 9, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
PSP

Quote:
I think $700 is a reasonable price, isn't it?
Around my area a used USP may be closer to $600, but considering the extra mag, that makes it a pretty good deal. If the third mag is, as HK_Flo pointed out, a white "jet funnel" mag, then the deal is a no-brainer.
Old June 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #11
Mystro

My LGS has one now. $600 - $650 is the going rate in Central Pa.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old June 9, 2013, 05:24 PM   #12
tristar viper

But with that extended mag, I now see the value in this deal. Plus with a couple of you guys laying the guilt on me for not buying it, I think Tuesday I will call and tell them to hold it (they closed on Mondays). I want it, I wanted it today when I shot it....what was I thinking??
I think Dragline is spot on; I shoulda just bought it. It'll still be there, and if it's not, in order to punish myself for not being wiser, I'll just buy the new one

Last edited by tristar viper; June 10, 2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old June 9, 2013, 11:25 PM   #13
BarryLee

I found one about 1.5 years ago with three standard magazines for a little less than $600 OTD. Now, although it was in good shape it did have some holster wear and probably had more than 200 rounds through it. Also, this was before the recent panic buying spell, so the current asking price may not be too bad.

I actually did the same thing as you and was searching for a .40S&W and also had always wanted an HK, so when I saw the USP it just made sense to get the gun. I can attest to how easy the gun is to shoot and it makes you realize how nice a caliber the .40 really is in a properly sized gun. I say that because I once had an XD40c and man that thing was sort of a bear to shoot.

Anyway, I agree with the previous post – if you want the gun go get it.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 10, 2013, 04:20 AM   #14
tristar viper

Something that really shocked me was the ammo prices; there was Blazer aluminum in 40 for $18.99 a box, no limits on quantity. There was also Blazer brass in 40 for a dollar more per box, again no limit on quantity. And then there was 9mm - $21.99 per 50, limited to one measely box.
They had multiple brands of 40 S&W defense rounds also. Seems like 40 can still be had very easily around here, and for very reasonable prices. And that's another small part of the reason for my original decision to go look for a 40.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:03 AM   #15
PSP

This thread needs at least one pic. Here's a gratuitous pic of my USP, a 9mm.. Found this one in my local Gander Mtn. for a really good price. I couldn't sign the adoption papers fast enough. Great gun! Tristar viper, you're going to love it.

Old June 10, 2013, 11:29 AM   #16
HK_Flo

Quote:
This thread needs at least one pic.
I'll add another

Old June 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
8MM Mauser

DO IT!

Four years ago I passed on a USP in .40 selling for $400 and I am still kicking myself. That is a good price in today's market and they are a great handgun.

Post pictures...!

http://benjaminraber.hubpages.com/
Old June 10, 2013, 03:24 PM   #18
tristar viper

Man.....all the pressure!!
Barring anything unforeseen, tomorrow afternoon the gun will be mine, and you betcha there will be pictures!!
Old June 10, 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
ScotchMan

I'll be the dissenting opinion here and say that I would hold out for a P2000 or a P30. That gun is a good deal, but for my money I'd rather put it towards a P2000. The USP is great, but the P-series guns are just ergonomically superior USPs with standard rails, and they use USP Compact magazines.

Just my opinion. That is a great gun and you can't go wrong, but I would probably summon the willpower to walk away just because it isn't the absolute best choice for me.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old June 11, 2013, 03:49 AM   #20
tristar viper

ScotchMan, I had a P30 at one time. The gun was OK, but the biggest problem was that I chose the LEM trigger, and months down the road I really began to not like that, so I sold it. I've shot all the H&K's, all are great, but when I grab a USP it's like divine intervention made those guns for me. I shoot them better and more consistently than any other gun I have shot, and that even includes my Sig P226.

Last edited by tristar viper; June 12, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 06:28 AM   #21
Kevin_d77

Last week Palmetto State Armory had used USP40 w night sights and 3 mags (Police trade in I suspect) for $449. Obviously don't know about the condition of the gun but Something to consider. They're still available but at $549 now
Old June 12, 2013, 06:19 PM   #22
tristar viper

Well guys, I did NOT buy it, and I'll tell you why. I went back over to the place that had it, and once again I looked it over real good, but I could not get the idea out of my head that for a mere $250 more, I could have a brand new gun. I'm not suggesting that $250 grows on trees, because it doesn't, but you get the point....for another $250 I could have a new gun, 6 years newer.
I've had this feeling in the pit of my gut that $700 is just too much for it, 3 mags or not. By chance my friend Sean was in there, he's one of the gun counter managers. I talked to him about it, I told him I made the other guy an offer and he "shot" me down, and Sean said "that's because they paid way too freakin (not the word he used though) much for it and now they have no room to move on the price." It's about a $625-$650 gun according to him, and he doesn't buy that it only has a couple hundred rounds through it.
Long story short, I'm looking for new. Ideally I want a USP 40C, so i can swap a 357 barrel in. I've called every gun shop within 90 miles of myself, and none have the compact. Anybody know a shop that has a 40C? Even Bud's don't have one.
Old June 13, 2013, 01:47 AM   #23
Hammerhead

They dropped .357 sig as a caliber for the USP full size because .357 did not feed reliably.

I've bought quite a few pistol off Gunbroker. You can probably get a better deal there as well. Plus no sales tax when ordering out of state (for most of us).
Old June 13, 2013, 07:26 PM   #24
kcub

This is the first gun with a rail that isn't fugly (that I know of).
Old June 13, 2013, 08:46 PM   #25
kcub

Can you switch the lever to the other side if you are a lefty?