The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
copfish

Refinish ideas

I have an old, well shot but great mechanical condition S&W K22 from 1946 according to the serial number. It is one of my "always in my range-bag" guns and I'd like to have it refinished. I'm leaning towards a hi-tech finish like nickel boron or something similar. Any suggestions?
Old June 23, 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Webleymkv

The bright chrome finish offered by Ford's would seem like a good balance of durability and preservation of the classic look of such a revolver (bright chrome looks an awful lot like bright nickel). While I've not personally used Ford's, their reputation is excellent.

http://www.fordsguns.com/
Old June 23, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Industrial hard chrome, or one of the nitride finishes. Both will last forever.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

gun treatments.....

For handgun treatments or metal work, I'd look at Robar Guns: NP3+, Black T or Green T, Metalife SS C, Bearcoat.com, APWCogan.com Cerakote.

Gun writer & well known tactics instructor Chuck Taylor praises the Metalife SS C system.
The prices and shop time seem decent.
Bearcoat comes in a few color choices and looks impressive. They have a full lifetime service plan too.

CF
Old June 26, 2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Chowder

I am not apposed to modifying guns from original or making them your own, but I think the only finish for a K22 would be a nice blued finish. If you know you are leaning away from factory blue than Something shiny that shows off its curves would be nice. Nickle Boron could be interesting even if not my own first choice. Either way you choose pictures are a must!

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com
Old June 26, 2013, 09:46 AM   #6
kraigwy

If I was to refinish such a gun, I wouldn't consider anything but sending it to Smith & Wesson and having them do the job.

They are reasonably priced and do excellent work.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 26, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7
chiefr

kraigwy posted
If I was to refinish such a gun, I wouldn't consider anything but sending it to Smith & Wesson and having them do the job.

They are reasonably priced and do excellent work.

==========================================================================
+1
Old June 26, 2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Webleymkv

Quote:
While this would normally be my recommendation as well, I've heard that S&W will not work on pre-model number guns due to parts availability should the gun need more than refinishing. Since the OP's gun was made in 1946, it certainly fits into that category, thus my recommendation for Ford's who seems to have an excellent reputation among vintage S&W aficionados.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:12 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Fords is pretty good. S&W *may* work on it, but you would have to call and ask. I got different answers from S&W. They worked on my 1953 K22 a few years back. I'm not sure if the gun is worth refinishing, but if you are sure you want to, then Fords does good work. A nickel plate would be interesting, if done by a professional like Ford's. Of course the rear sight would have to remain black, and on those older guns, the front sight was black too.

FWIW, a 1946 K22 would be a post war transitional, meaning it has one line address, low K prefix SN, large "beehive" ejector rod head. The gun also probably has the narrow rib with a tapered barrel. That was later changed to a wide rib, and heavy non-tapered barrel.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:02 PM   #10
jglsprings

Ford's is so behind you need to call before making any plans. It took them over a year to get back one of my projects.

Their work is impeccable, but you CAN NOT be in any sort of hurry.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.