The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 22, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Wparrish

Range gear

I am new to this firearm stuff. I am looking for a little bag or case that I can use to carry my handgun to the range. Not looking to spend too much money. Just something small to carry the firearm and the mags. Cabelas has z fitted one that looks nice. Any help or advise would be appreciated.
Old June 22, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Bluestarlizzard

Well, doubt this will be all that helpful for you, but last time, I used my old Vera Bradley bag (guy speak translation: big purse). I found the side compartments fit a mini bottle of Hoppe's solvent on one side, and a mini can of oil on the other quiet nicely. Plus all my junk fit inside.

The point I am making, and what might actually help you is you don't really need buy a bag that some manufacture designated as a "range bag".

Look through what's stashed around the house and see what looks feasable.
Old June 22, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Ajtozzi

Range gear

I use this for handguns. I love it!

US PeaceKeeper Medium Range Bag (Black, Medium)
http://amzn.com/B001QDR29W
Old June 22, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
SgtLumpy

I use a big, old, MacGregor tennis bag. I don't like bags with a lot of small compartments for mags, ears, eyes, this and that. Just gimmie a bag with a lot of space in the big compartment, and put big pockets on all the sides and ends.

Not unlike this Midway bag that a lot of people like -
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...tion-range-bag

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 23, 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Sevens

I have put ridiculous miles on a leather laptop bag. Countless range trips with this thing, and using a simple zippered handgun rug ($5-$7 each), I can (and often do) pack 5-7 handguns in a laptop bag. My range days are long, and lots of ammo comes along, so I carry that in it's own container.

For the average guy's normal 1 or 2 gun range day, a decent size laptop bag can easily carry everything.

As computers have gotten smaller, the bags have gotten quite a bit smaller. The kind of laptop bag I'm talking about it best found in a Goodwill store, or a similar resale shop or a garage sale.

The first laptop bag I used came with an old, outdated laptop that a friend no longer wanted; it was free. It worked so well that a larger one was on my shopping list and the one I currently use was snagged at a Goodwill store for eight dollars. It's pretty heavy duty and I just don't see me actually wearing this out.

I've seen some of the terrific shooting-specific range bags on the market and I like 'em! But you can't get those bags for under ten bucks.
Old June 23, 2013, 04:40 AM   #6
mxsailor803

I've got that same range bag Lumpy suggested and it works very well with plenty of extra room.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:09 AM   #7
bbqbob51

Midway USA Range Bag

By far and away, dollar for dollar and comparing features, the Midway USA Range bag is a great bag. It is full of features (tons of pockets, magazine holders, 2 removable padded zip up pistol rugs etc) and will hold a LOT stuff. They also make a smaller version if this beast is too much for you. I have had mine for over 5 years now and it has held up well. They seem to be always on sale with the only problem being the shipping can be a little high.
Check out the full features here:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/939...tion-range-bag
Old June 23, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Wparrish

Range gear

What are your thoughts on these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371994550.850796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371994561.295803.jpg
Old June 23, 2013, 08:39 AM   #9
jackpine

get a canvas tool bag from the army surplus store
Old June 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #10
deepcreek

I was using a $15 gym bag for years, just upgraded to a $60 "range bag". It works about the same but has a better zipper and is much stronger so it should last a long time.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:26 AM   #11
danez71

For $20 this is very hard to beat this.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Some how I got two for Chrstmans and haven't used either yet.

But a couple cool feature I like is that the large outside pockets (that look like they have AR mags in them) .... the closing flaps are adjustable to allow for taller items that stick up higher than the pocket or adjust them down for lower items or even remove the closing flap altogether.

Another thing I like is that it has a removable separator in the main compartment.

What Ive been doing for the last 25 yrs is use this for each pistol. (I use the PP911S in a 11x7. It has 4 mag pouches on one side and a single larger pocket on the other. The single pocket will fit / about the size of 1 box of 50 round of .45. but I use if for small odds and ends, I bought mine for about $15 25 yrs ago. Very good quality.)

http://www.opticsplanet.com/boyt-har...dgun-case.html

And then put one or more of those and some ammo into a small version of one of these type things.

http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-B.../dp/B000P6EU7S

I bought a couple of smallish size Eddie Bauer brand on clearance a bunch of years back but anything similar will do.
Old June 23, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Pahoo

Does not always pay, to advertise !!

Quote:
Anything that holds all of your stuff will work.
Like most have posted, I use whatever doesn't reveal itself as a Range-Bag. I've taken older Samsonite brief cases, gutted them out and relines with foam. I also use large canvas bags that stores and hospitals hand out. I also use a fishing tackle bag that clearly says Shakespeare, on the outside. Even though I like Midway, would never have a bag that has their name on it but that's just me. One bag I use, says something about "Women's Pregnancy Center" on the outside and it's really a nice bag. ......

Be Private and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

This one for twenty bucks at Wally World works great, has plenty of room for extras, and includes two pistol rugs/cases.
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...s-Bag/16662948
I have one, and use It in addition to a large wheeled soft sided tool bag from Home Depot. Or just alone if I am only taking one or two guns for a quick trip to the range.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 23, 2013, 11:11 AM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What are your thoughts on these?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371994550.850796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371994561.295803.jpg
Those are much more cases than range bags. Remember you may not always own only one gun you want to take to tge range. Also you will need something to carry ammo, targets, ear & eye protection, a small tool kit ( yes, you will need It from time to time), and maybe some cleaning supplies.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 23, 2013, 11:15 AM   #15
Wparrish

Range gear

Because I live in California don't I need a case that locks for travel to the range. I have another bag I can use for the acessories.
Old June 23, 2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Pahoo

Range-Bags VS. Gun-Cases

There "might" be a fine line between a Range-Bag and Gun-Case. I always carry guns, in Gun-Cases, locked or unlocked. I carry all my other junk, including ammo, in my Range-bag. There are times when I may carry handguns in a Gun-Sock and then into a range-bag. Not sure about California but I am legal in the Midwest. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2013, 11:32 PM   #17
Corrections Cop

I went down to Home Depot and got a tool bag, it works great, I think it was about 20 bucks.
Old June 23, 2013, 11:40 PM   #18
ClydeFrog

gear, kit....

You do not need anything complex or expensive to start out with.
There are many brands & styles. Don't go cheap!
A cheap poor quality range bag that breaks apart after 6mo or a year isn't a value.
Cases & bags have many choices for magazines, eye protection, ammunition, etc.
Some suggest not using tactical cases or gear with logos which is smart but not critical.
See; www.galls.com www.qmuniforms.com www.policehq.com www.uscav.com www.cryeprecision.com www.csmgear.com www.midwayusa.com www.Natchezss.com www.Blackhawk.com .

Black, OD, desert tan or dark Earth fabric cases could do okay.
A mat or rubber pad is a good add on too. Bore-store bags for your firearms help protect them from nicks & scuffs.

CF
Old June 24, 2013, 12:38 AM   #19
Mike19

"Anything that holds all of your stuff will work."

+1 to Bravesfan
Old June 24, 2013, 12:52 AM   #20
Lost Sheep

I put up to four handguns in a flat briefcase-style guncase large enough to hold them. Lined wit foam to prevent shifting around.

I put all my cleaning and field gunsmithing gear in a "drybox".

Ammunition (and magazines) is kept in cheap plastic toolboxes. One box per caliber.

Targets are in a plastic file box with those hanging folders. Keeps the different-image targets separate and easily grabbed. Stapler, tape, making pens, etc also.

Eye and ear protection, binoculars, and other miscellany are in a cloth toolbag.

When I take my chronograph, it is contained (with its suit of armor) in one more container - a repurposed battery-powered drill box.

Four or five easy-to carry containers plus one small box for each ammunition type may seem like a lot to carry, but to me, subdivided is organized.

I pick (up to four) guns for the range and put them in the gun case. Grab the ammunition boxes that match the calibers. Add the targets box, gun cleaning/maintenance box and the chronograph box if desired. It works for me.

By the same token, I can put my folding workbench, three toolboxes and components (brass, bullets, primers and powder) into my car and go over to a friend's house and be reloading pretty quick. Organized.

Lost Sheep
Old June 24, 2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Topher127

I use a plain backpack to carry targets,ammo, and gun in a sleeve. I save my range bag for the trips into the great outdoors when you need to have everything with you.
Old June 24, 2013, 01:04 PM   #22
danez71

Quote:
Because I live in California don't I need a case that locks for travel to the range. I have another bag I can use for the accessories.

Yes. But is doesn't have to be a hard container.

All I ever did when I lived in CA was lock the zippers together of the items I mentioned above.