The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 23, 2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Bowhunter57

I'll second the idea of a 30-30 lever action, as they offer quick repeat shots and are easy to handle in close quarters.

Also, the Mosin-Nagant in 7.62x54R is in the middle of the .308 and .30-06, for power. Plus, they can be purchased for $170 or less and are very accurate and affordable to shoot.

Bowhunter57
Old June 23, 2013, 09:12 PM   #27
QuarterHorse

This last January 4 of us went on a hog hunt trip and have reserved already for next January. 2 of us took pigs with 308 bolt actions, 1 took pigs with a 30-06 semi auto, one of us took pigs with a 44 mag in a Henry lever action. The only pig we had to go back and find the next day was one shot with the 30-06. Reason being shot placement.

In short, pigs aren't as tough as most lead on to believe and handgun cartridges in the lever action worked great. I have my Ruger SBH loaded up with some stout 45 colt loads that will be looking to break some shoulders on my next trip down.

In short short, buy whatever you would like and want to shoot.
Old June 24, 2013, 09:40 AM   #28
Duzell

i can always say go with a mosin, and now there are factories makeing new ones, to get around the importing system, century arms is one that i can note.

but for the price and with hunting ill reference a video i found on the 30 06 ruger american so you yourself can see some performance and get an idea of that version

VID 3006

VID 308

hope this helps

Firearms Project(s): TM15:WIDOW 5.56/300
Old June 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #29
Ibmikey

My buddy Jerry has taken hogs with about everything from .22 lr to 350 mag. It is shot placement that is more important than a big chunk of lead, hogs seem to be reluctant to let the brain tell the body it is dead but with good shot placement they will eventually get the idea.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:34 AM   #30
Kachok

As someone who reloads, shoots, and hunts with both let me chime in.
The 06 is in fact more powerful, slightly in factory form and considerably in handloads. Books will tell you that they are within 100fps but once you realize that modern action 30-06 can safely take as much pressure as the 308 the difference in is apparent.
I like the 308 better for hunting, they are both an overkill for any deer around here so the extra power of the 06 is a waste and just blows up more meat.
I like reloading the 30-06 more, it is just more versatile then the 308 it can effectively and accurately use a wider array of bullet weights and powders.
The 308 fairs better in short 22" barrels which is just about all you can find anymore with few notable exceptions, the 06 has considerable muzzle blast in a 22" tube or my handloads do anyway I don't remember if factory ammo is as bad it has been a while since I shot it.
All in all if I shot factory ammo and I did not live in elk/bear country I would call the 308 the better choice, if CXP3 class game is on the menu the 30-06 is the clear choice.
Old June 25, 2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Weatherby Fan

Quote:
you can carry twice the ammo as a 3006, in pouches , as the 308 is almost half the size
lolwut

Not even remotely close to being true.
30'06 3.34"
308 2.8"

The 308 is exactly 16.17% smaller than the 30'06. That's negligible.

The 308 can be roughly comparable with the 30'06 using 150 grain pills and sometimes 165 grain pills but not the longer monolithic bullets.

Being that competitive usually means faster burning powders and compressed loads.

The 30'06 will do the same thing using slower burning powders without compressed loads.

Further, it will shoot longer monolithic bullets much better and will outpace the 308 with 180 grain bullets and up.

Since you are shooting at hogs in close range, I would use a heavy bullet, maybe even a mono metal. That puts the 308 out of the race.

Hell, if you're going to be close, you could shoot a nice 220 or 240 grain bullet from the 30'06 with no problem. Much better hitting power than the 308's little 150 grain pills.
Old June 25, 2013, 08:08 PM   #32
QuarterHorse

[QUOTE Weatherby Fan]Since you are shooting at hogs in close range, I would use a heavy bullet, maybe even a mono metal. That puts the 308 out of the race[/QUOTE]

Don't tell that to the 4 dead pigs we drug back from Oklahoma with 308's I don't want them walking out of my freezer!
Old June 25, 2013, 09:48 PM   #33
Weatherby Fan

^^^^ Just because both people finish the race doesn't mean that there isn't a winner.

Yes, the 308 can get the job done. The 30'06 can get it done with more authority.
Old June 25, 2013, 09:57 PM   #34
QuarterHorse

Say what you want. 4 dropped where they stood with a 308, 1 with the '06, and we had to wait to find another the next day with an 06. Two more dropped dead from a 44 mag in a rifle at 75 yards too...... Shot placement is king.

This isn't what I read, it's what I lived. I'm not saying NOT to buy a 30-06, hell buy both! I AM saying it doesn't REQUIRE one by a long shot.......
Old June 26, 2013, 12:18 PM   #35
globemaster3

@Weatherby Fan... Hog hunting, even close range, does not require the use of monolithic bullets, nor bullet weights above 200 grains. I wouldn't even call that advisable! An option, sure, but that is on the fringe of options.

I have killed hogs in a pen with .22LR behind the ear. Works just fine and is cheap. They are not impervious to a well placed shot such that you need an uber wondermag or boutique bullet to knock one over!

I grew up hunting hogs. I've shot more than I remember. I've seen more taken with everything from .223 up to .338 Win Mag. I sat next to my oldest when she shot her first with a .243 which tipped it over in mere feet from impact point. A well placed shot on a hog with enough gun will seal the deal. I've never had 1 either shake off, or get up from, my .308 using basic hunting bullets.

To the OP, either is going to work just fine. If you want other caliber recommendations smaller than those, we can go that route as well. With your caliber selection, I recommend looking at what is on the shelves you can get now if the hunt is near. If the hunt is farther out, that opens up your options.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:20 PM   #36
Weatherby Fan

Quote:
I'm not saying NOT to buy a 30-06, hell buy both! I AM saying it doesn't REQUIRE one by a long shot.......
I'm not saying it's required, either. I'm simply saying that it's slightly superior.
Old June 27, 2013, 09:24 AM   #37
Dirty_Harry

I have a RAR in .308 and I love it. It doesnt like anything over a 165 grain, but is very accurate.

It is a very light rifle, and fast handling.

That being said, nothing beats a Marlin lever for hogs.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne