The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 17, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Hunter_17

Shot shell single stage homemade

Well with having most my pistol rounds load I wanted to reload some shotgun shells but don't have a press so I thought I would make some mods and parts for a old single stage press to where I could load them like pistol rounds have multiple dies one to deprimed, prime and add a wad and one to crimp half way and one die to finish the crimp and also a shell holder

Here are some

pictures

Old June 17, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Jbotto

I'm intrigued. Can you post more?
Old June 17, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
lamarw

Pretty ingenious of you. I am sure it will work just fine for the purpose. I can remember the fun and sense of accomplishment of producing rifle rounds as a youngster on the old Lee hand held device you used a plastic hammer to pound them out one at a time.

Another approach is to shop around for and old unit. I bought an
obsolete Pacific DL-105 multi-stage press for $20 bucks of eBay a couple of years ago. Pacific sold out to Hornady years and years ago. I believe Hornady parts and dies still work in the old Pacific presses. I just looked on eBay and there is a DL-155 on ebay for 25 bucks. I didn't check on the condition or shipping cost
Old June 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

I actually modified a couple .410's for a thicker rim, only mod needed & chamber 444 Marlin cases loaded as 3" brass .410 shells & just use the 444 Marlin loading dies... seems to work pretty good...

I actually anneal the case mouth, so I can crimp a heavy fiber board wad on the top, rather than hot gluing a card stock wad on top as is typical... my patterns look normal with the heavy wad on top...
Old June 19, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
BigJimP

Don't forget about "resizing" ....or you may have some issues feeding them thru a pump gun or a semi-auto especially.

Single stage MEC presses are not that expensive....and there are usually a dozen or more available at most any good sized gunshow I've ever been to / so before you get more time involved than its worth ....and unless you're only shooting a box a year....buying a commercial loader just makes more sense to me.