The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2013, 01:50 AM   #1
kcub

Sig P290

I've overlooked this model before thinking it had too much height for a front pants pocket but discovered that's not the case.

I'd like to learn more about it. Is it DAO or DA/SA or depends on model?

How well does the Sig rainbow finish wear?

Also I think I've seen a picture on this site of a bright blue slide model but I don't see it on the Sig sight. Was it custom? Please repost that picture, whoever owns that pistole.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:25 AM   #2
thedudeabides

DAO. Trigger pull is bad for 1st gen, less bad for 2nd gen, 2nd gen have a feature that tries to restrike a round that doesn't fire outright instead of you having to rack the slide. Not sure if that's a feature that anyone uses, because I'd have already slammed the mag and racked the slide by muscle memory.

Any custom Sig finish (rainbow, Cerakote, etc.) is either durable as hell or will flake off because they didn't apply it right. I had a Scorpion 1911 that was perfect, the finish was chipping off of my wife's P238.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:37 AM   #3
mitranoc

I considered the P290, but gladly went with the XDS .45. The Sig is a nice little gun, but man is that finish hideous.

George Washington
Old June 16, 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
kcub

Xds doesnt fit in a pocket. Height is critical.

Part of me likes the rainbow, part of me hates. Il probably just get the std nitron.

Does it wear well in a pocket?
Old June 16, 2013, 08:25 AM   #5
thedudeabides

It's like a nickely-chromey finish that scratches super easy. My wife tore up hers with purse carry.

Get a Nitron for pocket carry. Nitron isn't the best finish, but pretty scratch resistant.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
rodfac

I've got one, albeit in a brushed SS slide configuration...that rainbow finish is the ugliest thing I've seen in quite awhile...but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder...more power to you Kcub if you like it.

My P290 has been back to the factory once for light firing pin strikes...Sig fixed it on their nickle including shipping, but it still leaves an occasional light indent...tho no FTF's. If you get one, I'd recommend getting the 2nd strike feature...standard on the 2nd generation models.

As to the gun itself: I find it too heavy to carry in a front pocket, too short to carry in a rear jeans pocket. See the pic below for the holster I built to allow carry in the FBI 4 o'clock position.

The trigger pull is long when compared to a Glock, but about the same as my other Sig, a P226. The P290 is DA only with a reset that's unusable for me. But then again, I don' t utilize a Glock's reset either....(makes it easier to transition from a 1911 SA only trigger to the newer DA triggers from a training standpoint).

Functioning (on all but the light firing pin strike rounds) has been 100%...no other failures. I've used my own handloads from full power defense loads to powder puff lead allow target rounds with no problem.

Accuracy with either magazine is great (they make both 6 and 8 rounders). The six round one leaves your pinkie finger in the air, but seems to make no difference to my shooting at defense distances up to 10 yds. Impact points with either mag are identical. In realistic firing, shooting controlled pairs (two distinct sight pictures as opposed to a double tap...one sight picture with two trigger manipulations), 3" gps at 10 yds are the norm...ammunition doesn't seem to matter as the gun will do it with powder puff to +P. In slow fire, deliberate use, I can get sub 2" gps all the way out to 10 yds.

Sights: love the Sig night sights...so much so that I'll never buy another automatic without them; and am in the process of re-sighting my other guns. Initially the gun shot low for me (-2" at 7 yds) with my grip and trigger squeeze...a call to Sig cured that...they sent me a different front sight and would have done it gratis if I'd sent the gun back; and all on their nickle too. Installing with LIGHT taps from a brass drift and small ball peen was no problem.

Usability: I've included it in my CCW rotation with a S&W M36, both carried in the FBI position, OWB at 4 o'clock. It's proven its reliability and is somewhat thinner than the S&W. Printing is about the same with either gun, and not something I find a problem despite what other shooters have opined about a revolver's cylinder bulge.

Overall, it's a good CCW option, a bit heavy for pocket (but that same weight helps control +P level rounds), with a long trigger pull that will need some training to get used to...and built with Sig's attention to fit & finish...combine all that with great customer service to back it up, and you've got a pretty good defensive gun.

HTH's Rod

Old June 16, 2013, 09:05 AM   #7
mitranoc

Quote:
Xds doesnt fit in a pocket. Height is critical.
I carry mine in my front pocket regularly with an Uncle Mike's. Has to be without the pinky extension though. Unless you're wearing tight pants or shorts, the XDS still conceals in the front pocket nicely.

George Washington

Last edited by mitranoc; June 16, 2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Yung.gunr

Ive thought about stepping up from my P238 to the P290, but from what I recall it felt quite a bit thicker. For me it really put me off at the time as I pocket carry most of the time due to work restrictions. But, it is still nagging me that I want to get it. Maybe if I pick up a second job I will pick one up with my increased "disposable" income.

Regarding that rainbow colored slide... YUCK!
Old June 18, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
kcub

The rainbow disgusts me too now. What was I thinking?

I checked out an Xds .45 today and it does seem like it ought to work in a pocket. If all you have is 5 or 6 rounds in a pocket gun, they might as well be 45s. So that's working out ok for you, mitranoc? Shoots ok?
Old June 18, 2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Rinspeed

I picked up a 290 a couple months ago for my wife. We don't have very many rounds through at all so I can't really comment on how it is going to work out but it has been 100% so far.