The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 17, 2013, 05:32 PM   #26
horselips

Remember -this is going to be a treasured family heirloom. A Timex is not an heirloom, a Rolex is. A Bic pen is not a family heirloom, a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck is. Paperbacks aren't, hard covers are. Nissan Sentras aren't. Datsun 240Zs are. Generic things aren't, personalized things are. An Uberti isn't, a Colt SAA is. Common, mass produced isn't, rare or collectible is. A plastic gun? Never.

I'd be happy to have any firearms handed down to me, who wouldn't? But I would much rather leave my kids something that has an intrinsic worth far beyond mere utility, and yet be fully operational, reliable, and effective. A firearm capable of evoking their curiosity, earning their respect and appreciation. Not just valued, but treasured. And having that cachet, mystique, lore, whatever, that will make them want to keep it, and pass it down to their heirs, and not just sell it after I'm gone.

Buy yourself a Luger. You'll not only fall in love with it, but it will make you want to live forever just to keep enjoying it.
Old June 17, 2013, 05:45 PM   #27
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I don't have large hands and I shoot and handle the controls of the Beretta 92 fine.
Hope I'm not getting too far off topic here...Dragline...Can you operate the magazine release without shifting the gun in your hand? I can't.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 17, 2013, 06:39 PM   #28
Dragline45

I can but it's easier to shift the gun slightly, but I can still drop a mag and reload just as fast as any other pistol I have handled so at least to me it is a non issue. I can also reach the slide release fine with my regular grip, I noticed in your other post you said that was an issue for you. When talking about fractions of a second difference in reloading speed that type of thing is not something I am concerned about, my carry gun a Sig P232 and that uses a European heel mag release and even then I have no problems with it. The chances of a civilian running their gun dry and having to do a reload in a self defense situation is slim, especially with my 15+1 Beretta. Shaving of a 1/4 second off my reloading time is the farthest thing from my mind.

Last edited by Dragline45; June 17, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:26 PM   #29
kahrguy

If a handgun that is going to be passed along has to be special why not make a a les baer, wilson or engraved ed brown . May be a freedom arms revolver or bowen classic if its really meant to be a better than other handguns .