The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 22, 2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Mac's!

Boomer58cal.....

Yup, my SKS's are Norinco's. They ran perfect with the oem mags but not so well with the duckbill type detachable mags. The db mags fit fine, loaded fine and worked...most of the time. What I discovered was that under certain conditions... like pushing on the mag in any direction, they would fail to feed. They were fine for standing there and banging away at a target but not so good prone shooting where the rifle was a little sideways with the mag pushing against the ground, etc. It seemed like any time more than just slight pressure was applied against the mag, it would start to misfeed. I tried a couple of different Tapco mags and two off brand metal ones. I gave up on them.

I'm not beating up on the duckbill mags for the SKS! I'm just saying that between the decreased reliability and the loss of streamlining, I decided not to use them. The SKS rifles were to fit a niche in my personal collection. That niche required that they be very reliable and streamlined. The duckbill mags defeated both of those requirements.

On the other hand, the Red Star 20 rounders work fine. (After I trimmed the feed lips back) As reliable as the oem 10 rounders and still streamlined. The bolt hold open works fine on them. I can't get a full 20 to load off of stripper clips but 17 or 18 fit pretty good. It's no big deal to pop the last few in by hand. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons.
http://www.shootiniron.com
Old June 22, 2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Boomer58cal

That's what I thought. Everyone told me to avoid promags because they don't fit. I like them because they are to thick at first and can be sanded to a tight fit. I use the mag to pull the gun into my shoulder and the mags don't move. The metal mags suck. If you ever get the urge to try them again try promag. They take about 5 min to fit.

The main reason I use duck bills is because I made a scope mount and shell deflecter and can't use strippers.

Boomer

Tags
sks 30 round mag