The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 12, 2013, 06:14 PM   #1
ryanh51

Self Defense/concealed carry

So I just recently got into firearms. I've been shooting here and there my whole life but i got my first shotgun this past christmas(I'm 22) and since then I've bought myself a Mosin Nagant and a Taurus 357 revolver.

I feel like I'm kind of 'old school' for a 22 year old. I'm looking to get married in about a year and my fiance and I are both looking forward to starting a family. I'm NOT one who thinks that a woman belongs in the kitchen and a man belongs at work, but I DO feel like part of my job is to protect and provide for my future family(immediately just my future wife but eventually my children as well)

SO... I'm pretty clear that I want to have guns in the house. Somewhere secure but accessible in an emergency. What I'm not clear about is when, where, and how I want to conceal carry/open carry my handgun. There are some things that seem obvious. Walking through downtown big city at night I definitely want some protection for me and my wife. Going to church I'd rather not be carrying a loaded handgun. I'm still working out the in-between stuff though. Do I keep it in my car all the time but only carry it on my person when I feel the need? Do I leave it at my house unless I foresee some potential risk? Do I carry it ALL the time except for rare instances when I can't/shouldn't?

What do you guys do? How many of you have actually been forced to used a handgun in self defense and what situations would you recommend carrying a gun? I'm sure there are pros and cons to every situation but what has experience led everyone else to?
Old June 12, 2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Answers to your questions depend in part on where you are located. You don't need to post your street address, but the state would help.
Old June 12, 2013, 07:25 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: Self Defense/concealed carry

Carry it all the time unless it is illegal to do so. We never know when we will need a gun to defend ourselves, otherwise murders would not be such an often occurrence.

If you want to be able to protect your family, then you should have a firearm on your person whenever out of the house and in the near proximity when inside of your house...
Old June 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #4
wayneinFL

It's really up to you (in confines of the law, of course). I carry just about anywhere I can legally carry. I'm usually not carrying a 1911, usually just a J frame in my pocket.
Old June 12, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Guns, first choices....

These "what should I get first" topics are common.
Read a few older posts & you'll get a wealth of information on firearms & training.
If you are brand new to handguns or concealed carry, Id suggest starting with a simple stainless steel 3"/4" .357magnum/.38spl revolver with adj rear sights.
A robust, well made revolver like a Ruger GP100, a S&W model 66 or a L frame 686 7rd .357magnum. The snub Ruger SP101(DA only) or a LCR .357magnum with a lasergrip can defend you too.
If you really want a semi-auto pistol, there are a few great DA only(no spur or single action) pistols; Walther PPX, Ruger SR9 or SR9 compact, Smith & Wesson SD9 or SD40VE, SIG Sauer P229R DAK(Double Action Kessleman), SIG P224 SAS/DAK in .357sig or .40S&W, Beretta PX4 C(constant action) in .40 or 9x19mm, HK P2000 LEM(law enforcement modification) or P30 LEM.
A DA only pistol is safe, easy to conceal & you avoid the false claim of cocking or firing by accident in a real lethal force incident.

Learn how to clean & service your new firearm(s). Use only factory made rounds for carry or home protection too. No reloads or hand loaded ammunition.
Understand the gun/use of force laws in your area. Know what patrol zone or area you live in for fire/police emergencies to speed up any responses.
Get skill training & read a few manuals or watch DVDs to improve your tactical background. Keep in mind that marksmanship & tactics are two different subjects. Paper targets are not trying to actively kill you.

ClydeFrog
www.nra.org www.handgunlaw.us www.gunsamerica.com www.gunvideo.com www.brownells.com www.deltapress.com www.paladin-press.com www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.safariland.com www.galls.com www.mylegalheat.com www.mpro7.com www.gunzilla.us www.jgsales.com
Old June 12, 2013, 09:44 PM   #6
craZivn

I carry everywhere. Including church, in the rare instances when I wind up there. Remember that religious centers are sometimes preferred targets for shootings, as well as dark theaters and public events. Not all dangerous attacks are going to happen to you when you're expecting and ready for them, and bad guys don't respect hallowed places like they used to.
And if anyone tries to tell you that it's disrespectful to carry a weapon in church, piously refer them to Luke 22:36.

I have my SP101 3" on me as I type. I put it on in the morning, and take it off in the evening when I change into my lounge clothes. From then til bedtime it's always close at hand, sharing the couch while I watch a movie or on the bathroom counter while I shower. At night it shares the bedside table with a flashlight. It's as much a part of my daily life as my pocketknife. Always handy cause I never know when I might have use for it.

Ivan
Old June 12, 2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Corrections Cop

Only you will know when you need to carry. Carry as much or as little as you want. Carry only where it is legal to do so. Me, I carry every time I leave the house unless i'm going to work (no weapons on states grounds). I have small kids roaming around so I don't usually loaded gun laying around (they are in a safe), unless it is my day off, then ccw is up out of the way. Just do what you feel you need to do.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrections Cop
Only you will know when you need to carry.
I have to respectfully disagree with this point. None of us ever know when we NEED to carry. That need only presents itself when we find ourselves in a situation where we must defend ourselves and our loved ones. Because of that, I try to have a weapon on my person anywhere I am legally able to do so. When I am at work (with a posted "no weapons" policy), i generally have a gun in the car. Any other time, I generally have one on my person or close at hand.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:34 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Only you will know when you need to carry.
I will correct this for you...

Only you will know when you want to carry. However, sometimes when you don't want to carry is when you actually need to carry. But again, we never know when that may be.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:39 PM   #10
Corrections Cop

I guess after I re read that I think your right Jimmy you do never know when you'll need a side arm. But some people don't feel comfortable carrying all the time, and that's their choice, that's what I was trying to say by that. Its not my choice though, I carry as much as I can.

Thanks for the edit.
Old June 12, 2013, 10:43 PM   #11
Koda94

When, where, how often, are ethics that only you can define and are learned over time what works for you. There is a time and place for everything and that includes guns. A lot depends on your community, social group, friends, employment, environment etc. In my experience I have found that its those elements that determine not only if its appropriate, but what gun is appropriate. I live (IMO) a fairly safe community, so some places I don't carry at all depending on the social group and event.... but change one element and I would, by default at all times.

Unless you live in a constitutional carry state get your CHL, otherwise your options are severely limited.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:30 PM   #12
BlackFeather

Keep in mind that a firearm is a lethal force choice, and isn't always going to be the best option. Consider as well that if you are serious about your choices to carry to protect your family, you should also be learning how to defend them when not carrying. Look at your local laws to learn more about what's legal to carry for less lethal options. If you don't have any training already, consider it for any tools you plan to use and empty hand defense.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old June 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #13
kraigwy

There is a little gated community north of Cody WY, well to do neighbor hood, last place on earth you'd have problems:

There is a nice large Mall in Happy Valley OR, (suburb of Portland) Richy type neighborhood. The Mall caters to the upper middle class, not the down trodden. Last place on earth you'd think there would be problems.

In the first case, a couple idiots decided they wanted the fancy car for a get a way to Denver. So three people were killed in a home invasion. Couldn't just take the car, had too kill three people.

In the second case, some idiot decides he needs to create an active shooting situation so he goes through the Clackamas Town Center indiscriminately shooting people. This mall by the way is less then two blocks from the Clackamas County Sheriffs office.

So tell me again there are safe places. Some 82 year old grandma was kidnapped in her drive way in a car jacking and murdered.

When to carry, when its safe???? When is that. At church. Not so for that Church in Colorado Springs a few years ago.

So you ask, when do I carry? Constantly, even at home. Guns in the bedroom are useless when you're setting on the couch watching TV and someone kicks in your door. The bandits in before you can get off the couch.

But not before I can draw my revolver from my pocket.

Keeping a gun available with small kids presents a problem. I keep mine in a gun safe, its gonna take a cutting torch or explosives to get them out.

Except for one. It's in my pocket. My kids are grown but I do have grandkids hanging around. Not worried about them getting into the gun safe, nor am I worried about them picking my pocket.

I live in a relatively safe place, but I know there is no really safe place, (I just listed a couple safe spots, there are more, read the news).

Am I paranoid?? No, I spent 20 years as a cop, I know what's out there, even in "safe locations".

Am I frightened?? No, I have my revolver in my pocket. I practice constantly. I go through a lot of ammo, but I'm retired and I know how to cast bullets and re-load ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 13, 2013, 12:45 AM   #14
Alabama Shooter

I am not sure I would want to carry a .357 Taurus as a concealed carry gun. You did not state the model but I am assuming it is a full size. I would consider a smaller automatic in 9mm with higher capacity if you can carry one in your state/ area.

I pretty much carry everywhere including schools and churches. Shootings happen at these places from time to time. You may as well be ready if one ever happens around you and you need to protect your family. That is why I carry.
Old June 13, 2013, 05:03 AM   #15
BlackFeather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Shooter
I am not sure I would want to carry a .357 Taurus as a concealed carry gun. You did not state the model but I am assuming it is a full size. I would consider a smaller automatic in 9mm with higher capacity if you can carry one in your state/ area.
Do you have any reasoning behind this? Last I checked, a forumite here carries a Single Action revolver in .44 Mag. For someone with less training in Semi-autos a .357 should be no issue, even if it's full size. Any misfire can be dealt with by pulling the trigger again. The more training he gets with it the better he should be, and not need the higher capacity. Taurus is not a bad company, just not an American company which leads to opinions. Who made riflings, modern bullets, and put them in single shells? Germans, French, and Irish. Not trying to assume too much, but it's a common stigma here.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old June 13, 2013, 05:45 AM   #16
dayman

When you want to carry is up to you.
Chances are, you'll start carrying a little, and as you get more used to it, you'll wind up carrying a lot. Not because you get more paranoid - I for one know that odds are I'll never need a gun - but because it just becomes habit. There's no reason to force it.

I started out carrying only when I went into the city, or went hiking, but it slowly evolved into my carrying pretty much any time I leave the house.
I don't carry in the house because I have a door, a dog, and it's hard to attach a holster to gym shorts.

So I wouldn't worry about what anyone else says. Carry when you're comfortable carrying, or feel like you should carry. And, regardless of your state's laws,you should take a concealed carry class, and train regularly.
If you're going to carry a gun around it's your responsibility to make sure that you know when to shoot, when not to shoot, and can hit what you're aiming at.

And lastly, don't take any advise you get over the internet too seriously - definitely not any legal advise. You never know who's giving it.
Old June 13, 2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Dwight55

I have had insurance on my vehicle since 1962, have never seriously needed it.

I have fire extinguishers in my shop and kitchen, have never used them.

I carry basically 24/7, have never needed it.

Cliff note version of moral involved: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 13, 2013, 10:25 AM   #18
TailGator

I applaud you for your dedication and desire to protect your upcoming family.

Another way to state most of the answers you have already received is to realize that you aren't going to know when you need your pistol until after something bad has happened. The "something bad" may be only a threat that makes you think, "I wish my pistol was on me instead of at home or in the car," or it may be something tragic. There is an inherent unpredictability to violence; otherwise, we simply wouldn't go to the place where the violence or threat happens to us.

It is a nice sentiment to think that you can go to a house of worship and be left in peace, but there are people who do not respect the sanctity of those places and victimize the church and those who attend. I choose to conceal a little more deeply at church, but I carry. It would be nice to assume that a movie theater will be a place to relax, but it isn't always. Restaurants, malls, concert halls, city streets, parking garages, have all been the sites of victimization. You just can't predict when you are going to need to defend yourself and your loved ones, so you have to choose to either be prepared all the time or to try and predict the unpredictable. Many of us have chosen the former, but some admittedly attempt the latter, with mixed results.

The simple fact is that there have been gun owners who were victimized when their gun wasn't close enough to use. Admittedly, there are situations in which a gun won't save you or your loved ones, either, but having your gun at hand is keeping your options open and improving your chances.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Do you have any reasoning behind this? Last I checked, a forumite here carries a Single Action revolver in .44 Mag.
Yeah, I would not carry that either. It is incredibly slow to bring into play and has even lower capacity. It is also huge and heavy, dangerously over penetrative, slower to reload and whole bunch of other stuff that gets discussed ad naseum. I guess I would carry the .357 over the hunk.

Quote:
Taurus is not a bad company, just not an American company which leads to opinions. Who made riflings, modern bullets, and put them in single shells? Germans, French, and Irish.
I am pretty sure Taurus is in Brazil not Germany, Ireland or France. What people did 500 years ago is hardly representative of today since the US and Brazil (and Germany and Ireland) did not even exist when rifling was invented. That said I don't recall saying anything bad about Taurus but you seem to have taken a highly defensive posture over my non-statement. This seems to be a common trend among Taurus owners.

If you really think that a slower, heavier, lower capacity, revolver is better than an unnamed semi-auto pistol because you perceive it to be more reliable who I am to get in the way of your happiness?

Since the OP is young and new to fire arms I thought he might appreciate a different perspective and the pros and cons of carrying since that is what he asked for instead of a history lesson.
Old June 13, 2013, 11:55 AM   #20
ryanh51

I appreciate all the feedback. Definitely a lot to think about. As far as using my .357 revolver as a concealed carry weapon, I understand that it isn't the best choice for concealed carry. I'm on a reasonably tight budget ATM though and I can't justify owning more than one handgun. It seemed like a good, reliable, choice. Not the best for EVERYTHING I want to do with it but overall the best gun for my circumstances.

Aguila Blanca: I live in northern Utah but I'm going to school in Idaho and my family lives in North Carolina and Georgia. So sometimes I feel like I'm in an exceptionally safe town but other times not so much. As far as legalities go I'm just starting to research the laws in Utah and Idaho. I probably won't have my gun with me in georgia or north carolina anyway because I can't take it on a plane or bus.

I think it's a good idea(after I get my carry license) to start small and carry more often as I get more comfortable with it. Right now I'm kind of uncomfortable with the idea of carrying ALL THE TIME. Heck, even carrying sometimes makes me a bit nervous. Not sure what will happen if somebody sees my guns whether it's out in public or at a friends house. I don't want to be under prepared in an emergency but I also don't want to CAUSE a negative confrontation by having a gun and scaring someone
Old June 13, 2013, 12:38 PM   #21
allaroundhunter

Re: Self Defense/concealed carry

Ryan, first off I will say that you are allowed to take a firearm with you if you are flying, you just can't have it on your person. It isn't too much of an extra hassle, either (for me it hasn't been).

And as far as friends seeing you carrying all I have is my own experiences. I am in college, and have recently turned 21 and gotten my Texas CHL. Many of my friends know that I carry, but not all. When I am with friends and giving a hug by or something and someone who doesn't know I am carrying feels my gun they do get a puzzled look for a second and usually ask what it is. Most everyone I hang out with know me well, so it isn't a big deal for me to tell them that I am carrying. It always ends up the same; with them saying, "oh okay". In my main group of friends there are two of us that carry. Our friends have actually said that they feel safer knowing that we carry almost everywhere that we go.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
I don't want to be under prepared in an emergency but I also don't want to CAUSE a negative confrontation by having a gun and scaring someone
If you keep it concealed that won't happen without you presenting it. However you need to be prepared for the contingency that someone does spot it. I have noticed that most of the time if a non-carrier spots me carrying they will begin behaving oddly right away.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:56 PM   #23
SgtLumpy

Quote:
As far as using my .357 revolver as a concealed carry weapon, I understand that it isn't the best choice for concealed carry...
I carry a 4" Model 66 all the time. Nice and rounded. Carries great concealed or open. I'm looking for a Model 65, same 4", to make it just a tad bit simpler to carry open. The square edges of the rear target sights seem to want to snag the inside of my forearm. Not a problem as a duty carry weapon for cops, but with the typical close in, very high ride holster, gets a little annoying once in a while.

Quote:
sometimes I feel like I'm in an exceptionally safe town
You're not, no matter where you are. Lots of people get attacked/killed in towns and places that would "seem exceptionally safe".

Once you start carrying all the time, I think you'll find out that most people don't really know you are. You'll also likely develop (I hope) a little different situational awareness when it comes to people hugging you and touching your weapon.

Be safe. Enjoy the honor of carrying and the heightened responsibility that comes with it. YOU may someday save the life of one of your friends that don't carry.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 13, 2013, 02:35 PM   #24
ClydeFrog

less lethal options, recent incident....

I agree that armed citizens or license holders need to know or learn the use of force laws, but to me the best "less lethal" choice is to not get into a confrontation at all.

You can tote OC spray or a C2 Taser but I would not engage a subject unless it required lethal force or a display of deadly force.

Keep in mind, the recent incident where a soccer ref, punched only one time, died from his injuries.

I'm not going to roll around playing Walker Texas Ranger with some street thug.
Old June 13, 2013, 02:52 PM   #25
WildBill45

This happens more than you may know!

Quote:
In my main group of friends there are two of us that carry. Our friends have actually said that they feel safer knowing that we carry almost everywhere that we go.
This happens more than you may know! I carry almost all of the time and almost no one ever notices, but my friends know and feel better when we are out. When I go fishin' in Alaska with my son ... an Alaska resident ... I always carry there as well, but my .458 Lott is my first choice, and all the hippies and tree-huggers go without, but, and there always is a but in life, when someone comes running down screaming that a sow Grizz with 2, 2-year olds is taking fish from folks around the bend, guess who they ask to protect them???

It comes with the territory!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chasing Filets_01.jpg (106.9 KB, 41 views)

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"