The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2013, 05:45 PM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
I was told to use a normal tumbler with corncob media and just let it go for a few hours and they come out nice and clean.
Use Walnut instead of corncob, works faster, gets them clean and bright if not shinny. "Pretty" is unnecessary.

Quote:
Now ive read people remove the primers then do it but others say not too. or soak it in water with cleaning agent before the tumbler etc.
Most progressive press users do not bother. Removing the primers, cleaning, has not been demonstrated by scientific research to affect the performance of the hand loaded cartridges.

Quote:
so my question is how do you fine gentlemen and women do it. lets say right after your shooting session.
For all handgun brass, I put them into my Midway tumbler, with walnut media, turn it on, come back in a few hours. The brass will look new.

If it is rifle, which I load on a RCBS Jr. (single stage), after tumbling (with the primers still in the pockets). I size and de-prime and then use a metal tool to clean the pocket. I then continue with the process of priming (a Lee thumb-pressure tool), and finish the loading process.

The simpler you keep the process of hand loading, the more you can shoot, instead of agonizing over waste-of-time details.

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old June 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #27
Bugcola

Ah nice call on the HF walnut ill look into that since others say its better then corncob. also thanks everyone for the post and advice! be safe reloaders