The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2013, 09:03 PM   #51
polyphemus

Quote:
Mine just broke, I'm kinda bummed. I hope they don't mess my cerakote finish up
Is this a new pistol?I thought the finish was dull stainless.
Anyway,this being a known issue did you inspect it before purchase?the corner
radii for what I have seen are wider than on some other sights,the only thing that I can think of is the front part not having any clearance and being in contact with the slide,this could cause stress and eventual fracture.In any case
an annoyance for sure but in the large scheme of things,does it shoot ok?
Old October 12, 2013, 09:10 PM   #52
MJFlores

Up to how many rounds are people seeing this problem appear? I have about 450 through my SR-1911 and haven't seen this problem yet. Hopefully I never will however, it's just a front site. Annoying as all hell but not a deal breaker for me anyways.
Old October 15, 2013, 09:54 PM   #53
WallyK

My front sight just sheared off

About 400 rounds and the sight was gone. After reading all the posts asked Ruger to install the fiber optic. I'll pay the difference. They said no, the original sight has to be put back on. They sell the Novak sights but you need some one else to install them. Just sent it in today, so we'll see about he turnaround. BTH they paid shipping.
Old October 23, 2013, 02:00 PM   #54
a45burner

Ruger SR1911 Front Sight issue

It is a stainless finish ,after carrying it for a week I started seeing signs of rust develop so I had it cerakoted . As soon as I picked it up from being refinished I went to the range and not long in to my session bam no sight picture .
Old October 23, 2013, 02:08 PM   #55
a45burner

Here's a couple pics
Old October 23, 2013, 02:58 PM   #56
a45burner

Shoots great was hitting a little low compared to my kimber but it's nice and smooth . It is an annoyance but I still love it I'm still waiting on it to come back from ruger ... If it breaks again I see some heinie sights in its future . It fed all the ammo I gave it (Winchester , armscor,Aquila , hornady, mix of fmj and jhp
Old October 23, 2013, 06:42 PM   #57
a45burner

Just received my cmd back today has one little scuff near the dove tail so much for my 200$ cerakote job oh well ... Guess I'll know better next time !

Last edited by a45burner; October 23, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:00 PM   #58
polyphemus

Did you check for daylight betwen the front section and the slide? you should
be able to run a sheet of paper under it.If there is no clearance at all any pressure due to barrel expansion could cause it to fracture due to cantilever
force.Too bad about the finish ding but they were not thinking about it because
it is not their coating anyway.It is a nice piece and Ruger makes a good one
for the money,I find the fit and finish to be a little subpar but I tend to look at
things that normally go thru unobserved and by the way inasmuch as I am a
purist I think that integral plunger tube is not such bad idea.have fun
Old October 27, 2013, 12:06 AM   #59
a45burner

No I haven't checked yet , I sure will now that you pointed that out . Thanks , I'm still a little displeased . I was really excited about the cmd and payed what most would consider too much. Then I ran into the rust issue , then the sight . Oh well too late to cry now I'm stuck with it . If it breaks again it will get aftermarket sights . And most likely refinished again .
Old October 27, 2013, 03:28 AM   #60
745SW

I thought having the front sight integrated with the slide was a cheap way of doing things but apparently it has its advantage. The front sight of my S&W 745, Walther P5 and, I think, Beretta 21A 25ACP Bobcat is integrated.
Old October 28, 2013, 04:04 PM   #61
a45burner

Your right Polyphemus . there is no clearance at all on the front of the sight . I'm willing to bet I break this one next range trip . I'm going to be ordering some heinie's for when it happens . I'll be looking in to getting a high cut trigger guard and some checkering done too . since I'm stuck with it I might as well make it how I want it .
Old October 28, 2013, 06:07 PM   #62
polyphemus

You're not "stuck with it" it's a good pistol and will do you proud.
Them MIM's,some owners complain that the R1911's front sight has too much
daylight between the front section and the slide,it may not be pretty but they
don't snap off even though the corners are a lot sharper.This is not a big issue
just a pain in the neck for nothing.Hang in dere.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:14 PM   #63
Pro Street

My front sight broke off my SR1911 Sunday morning at the range. I have had it since March. It was about 45degrees out. Called Ruger and they said send it in. So it was shipped today.
Old October 30, 2013, 08:31 PM   #64
IdahoG36

I just received my SR1911 two days ago. It was produced 4/2012. I will be ordering a set of Trijicon HD night sights soon.

My front sight hasn't broken off yet, but I don't even want the stock sights anymore. They are junk. MSRP on a factory Ruger front sight is $6. That should tell you something right there.

And for the life of me, I don't know why Ruger keeps paying expensive shipping costs to slap the same piece of junk sight on people's guns, only to have them break again.
Beretta PX4 Storm INOX 9mm, Beretta Nano 9mm, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Springfield XDm 4.5 .45, Ruger LCP .380, 20"Armalite/Rock River AR15, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle
Old October 31, 2013, 05:18 AM   #65
t4terrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyphemus View Post
You are wrong,Ruger clearly says that their SR1911:

You should do your homework before you slander anyone.
This doesn't say the front sight is Novak. Only the rear sight.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:54 AM   #66
polyphemus

Quote:
This doesn't say the front sight is Novak. Only the rear sight.
That's what I wrote,that was the point of the reply to a comment in which the
writer suggested Rugger was "scamming" customers and he offered as proof
a spec sheet that does not indicate different manufacturers for the front and
rear sights.
It is not "scamming"it is "cutting corners" they are trying to produce a quality
pistol at an affordable price and these days that seems to be a contradiction in
terms.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:27 AM   #67
dahermit

Who makes them?

It has been posted that the sights on the Ruger SC 1911's are Novak's. However, that may mean either Novak is making the sights and shipping them to Ruger, or Ruger is making them under license from Novak. Can anyone attest for sure which?

If the Bible is the literal, infallible, unerring word of God...where are all those witches I am supposed to kill?
Old October 31, 2013, 08:04 AM   #68
WVsig

It was my understanding Novak helped design the sight but Ruger is producing it under lic. It is not a standard Novak sight.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:59 AM   #69
polyphemus

Quote:
It was my understanding Novak helped design the sight but Ruger is producing it under lic. It is not a standard Novak sight.
The rear sight is a Novak sight,it is stamped:"NOVAK"the front sight is a standard sight of unspecified origin.Ruger makes that clear on its website.
The issues are front sight related,my theory is that the front section is contacting the slide and this causes metal fatigue at the weak point where it becomes the dovetail section.
Old October 31, 2013, 10:52 AM   #70
WVsig

Quote:
"NOVAK
Does not mean that they are making it and it is not a standard height Novak sight. If you are changing it out you need to make sure you are purchasing the correct height front sight or it will not zero.

Last edited by WVsig; October 31, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:09 AM   #71
polyphemus

Quote:
Does not mean that they are making it.
Of course,that too is open to speculation but it walks like a duck and quacks
like a duck so it is probably a zebra.
Old October 31, 2013, 02:29 PM   #72
WVsig

I have no dog in the fight because I would never buy a Ruger 1911. It reminds me of the Taurus. When it came out people said it was going to take over the low end "want to be " custom production world but a year later all the short cuts that allowed them to hit a price point show up.

YMMV
Old November 1, 2013, 06:04 PM   #73
IdahoG36

I ordered a set of Trijicon HD night sights this morning for my new SR1911. I just don't trust the stock front sight, and the night sights were a cheap enough upgrade.
Beretta PX4 Storm INOX 9mm, Beretta Nano 9mm, Ruger 22/45 LITE Cobalt, Springfield XDm 4.5 .45, Ruger LCP .380, 20"Armalite/Rock River AR15, Remington 870 Tactical Magpul, Swiss K31 7.5X55, BNZ 42 K98, Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary design contest rifle
Old November 6, 2013, 10:33 AM   #74
musher

Just checked my recently purchased commander. There is a visible gap between the top of the slide and the bottom of the front sight projection in front of the dovetail. Haven't measured it, but it looks to be about the thickness of 2 post-it notes.

I wonder if the presence/absence of that gap will be diagnostic of eventual failure.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:26 PM   #75
scottl

Quote:
I wonder if the presence/absence of that gap will be diagnostic of eventual failure.
musher is offline Report Post
Don't think that has anything to do with it.
Chamber's Customs:
http://www.chamberscustom.com/images.../adjusted1.jpg
http://www.chamberscustom.com/images...y/IMGP2634.JPG
http://www.chamberscustom.com/images...y/IMGP2646.JPG

None of Joe's front sight have a gap.In fact he blends them so well some of the dovetails disappear and the sight looks like part of the slide.Granted these aren't MIM sights but if the sight is supposed to be gapped you'd think one of the top 1911 builders in the country would gap it.