The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: When deer hunting do you use any type of mask for concealment?
Always 16 9.52%
Sometimes 53 31.55%
Never 99 58.93%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10, 2013, 01:55 PM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...=501745&page=2

Being 10 ft off the ground in a enclosed stand. My stand has years on it sitting in one place. Year round. Local deer will eat right under the stand and pay no attention to it. New deer on the other hand wondering into the area for the first time are a bit curious as to what it is their looking at. They too over a short time grow use to the stand.
Anyway sitting in this stand for those few weeks a year I do {As for any type of mask for concealment?} Just a full grown beard is all I need for the purpose. Walking down a gravel road back to the deer camp or to the stand with a face looking like a lost Duck Commander's team member dressed in bright orange and smeared with camo grease pens or salve might seem a bit odd/weird to my local neighbors passing by in a vehicle. My 5 month grown yearly beard. That's enough face masking cover up for my needs.

S/S
Old June 10, 2013, 03:31 PM   #27
Lordy123

Never really have.
Old June 10, 2013, 03:34 PM   #28
BuckRub

When I hunt in woods with no enclosed stand I do. If I bow hunt in my climbing stand I do also. No need in a enclosed stand rifle hunting.
Old June 11, 2013, 05:17 PM   #29
Scout

I wear one during archery.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:27 PM   #30
tahunua001

I never waste my time and money on masks for deer. I have been using scent killer bodywash for elk and bear but even then, the morning I killed my first black bear I walked right up on a pair of bears and I hadn't even showered that morning. scent is not nearly as big of a deal as camouflage and stealth.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:02 PM   #31
Major Dave (retired)

I always use a face mask.

During warm weather I spray it down with "No Stinking Bugs" mosquito repellant, and it works well.

During cold weather I wear a camo ski mask.

Since I am clean shaven, and very caucasian, the only thing that hides my face from game is what I wear.

Works for me.
Old June 12, 2013, 11:07 PM   #32
allaroundhunter

Re: All Deer Hunters Please Take Poll!

I just use camo paint when bow hunting. If I've got a rifle in my hand then I don't use anything.
Old June 14, 2013, 07:33 AM   #33
BIG P

Never its the only chance the deer has.
Old June 15, 2013, 03:19 AM   #34
ChaperallCat

face mask is nothing to concealment. the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...

its kinda like the ruskies in the 80s designing the best most quite underwater hull design for an attack sub, and putting the nosiest propulsion system ever designed in it.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:25 PM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaperallCat View Post
face mask is nothing to concealment. the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...

its kinda like the ruskies in the 80s designing the best most quite underwater hull design for an attack sub, and putting the nosiest propulsion system ever designed in it.
I can only assume that someone with that opinion has never been within bow range of a deer.

They most certainly do see your face, and they'll see your eyes if they're not covered and you make eye contact.

Most of us deer hunters go to great lengths to NOT smell like car exhaust and eliminate UV. I have been within a matter of feet of more deer than I could count.
Old June 16, 2013, 05:50 AM   #36
2damnold4this

I use a mask when it is cold but it is more for warmth than concealment. A thin wool surplus British balaclava paired with a warm hat works great for me if the temp doesn't get lower than the teens.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:23 PM   #37
shortwave

I always wear a face mask when bow hunting.
Not so much when shotgun/bp.
Old June 17, 2013, 03:49 AM   #38
wet

No
Old June 17, 2013, 01:42 PM   #39
CajunBass

never
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 17, 2013, 01:50 PM   #40
Husqvarna

I do when the first part of our season starts, not really stalking much I just stalk to a good position and sit there, not stand or anything

when the real hunt starts with dogs I don't bother, that is mostly shotgun hunting so don't see the need for it.
Old June 18, 2013, 01:44 PM   #41
BoogieMan

I wear a beard and sit in a hemlock wearing blaze orange. They never see me. Now a scent mask I use sometimes. A little shot of buckbomb in the air after I walk in and a quick shot every hour or so.
Old June 18, 2013, 02:27 PM   #42
JimPage

BoogieMan: I do the same thing but I am clean shaven. Deer sometimes come so close to me that I shoo them away for fear they will take a fright and kick me or something. About 10 ft is as close as I let them get to me. But the grown bucks don't get that close. They are shot well before they get that close.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old June 18, 2013, 10:24 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
the deer are going to see the uv enhanced colors farther away then theyd see your face. besides, theyll smell your breakfast, ciggarette, and vehicle exhaust long before then...
There are solutions to every single one of those problems, if you'll take the trouble to implement them ......

....... they might hear you talking, too, so why bother with noise discipline at all- bring your boom box, and rock out! Your scope has some shiny spots on it, too, so that disco ball you like so much will not matter at all, either ......

....or not.

Work on the problems instead of using them to justify further laziness.

-Laundry detergents are available with no scents or UV brighterners..... plain old Cheer did not have any, but I have not seen that in any stores lately....

-Don't smoke when hunting.

-Brush your teeth with baking soda after eating, and avoid foods that will make you stink up th' joint ...... garlic and beans are not good choices.

-Don't stand around an idling vehichle, and don your outer layers after you exit the vehichle ..... use a cover scent/scent killler .......

-Hunt into the wind.

Do these things and you'll see more deer before they see you.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old June 20, 2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Miss Stana

I've never used one. Besides, I'm clostraphobic!! I think staying down wind of them and being quiet will do more good.

AIC
Custom Rifles
Old June 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #45
Boomer58cal

Sometimes.
Old June 24, 2013, 11:19 AM   #46
Crankylove

No mask, no camo, no scent eliminator/cover (unless you want count bug spray), no special laundry soaps. Just me and my blue jeans and t-shirt.

I also smoke while out hiking and sitting over a clearing/wallow/game trail , talk with with my brothers while hunting, and shoot coyotes, cottontails, and grouse if they cross our paths (some grouse, cottontail, and squirrell in the Dutch oven really hits the spot after packing an elk a couple miles).

The deer, elk, and speedgoats don't seem to mind, as we still manage to fill the tags.

If may not be every bodies method of choice, but its worked for us for 25 years.
Old June 25, 2013, 07:51 PM   #47
Mainah

No, but I do put my clothing and gear in a trash bag with fir branches for a few days before season opens- and then again between hunts. I'm also covered in bug spray to keep the ticks (and Lyme Disease) away. So in the end I guess bagging my gear is just a ritual that enhances my anticipation.
Old July 13, 2013, 10:51 PM   #48
dbgun

No. Unless it's really cold (freezing), then I will wear a ski mask to keep warm.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:08 PM   #49
johnwilliamson062

In Ohio and I do during gun season, but not to hide my face. Sitting still my breath condenses on my upper lip and nose. Without something insulating my face it gets cold.
Old July 20, 2013, 11:26 PM   #50
sc928porsche

Only time you catch me in full camo is when I am hunting duck and geese. I suppose that qualifies me as occasionally