The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Mike in Va.

Wal-Mart Credit Card

I noticed today, that my Wal-Mart credit card was issued by
G.E.Capital Credit.
As you may know, G.E. Capital Credit, recently issued a statement,
that they would not lend money to gun shops, or any firearms related
business.
If they won't do business with us, why should we do business with them ?
I will still patronize Wal-Mart, but use another credit card.
The Wal-Mart card went into the sredder.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2
BarryLee

While I understand the frustration it’s sort of difficult to escape some of these large corporations like GE. They actually have their hand in everything from appliances to the Weather Channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...neral_Electric
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 19, 2013, 12:26 PM   #3
Nathan

.....this is why we need legislation which clearly defends our constitutional right to keep and bear on private property as well as not allowing contractual infringements of that right.
Old June 19, 2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Patriot86

I wasn't aware of that but now my response to "Do you want to apply for a Walmart credit card" is being changed from no to HELL no.
Old June 19, 2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Uh - how does GE rationalize dealing with WalMart who sells much evil gun stuff. And people use their card to buy guns - hence a loan.

Is this pointed out to them?
http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...11_Feature.htm
Being an Active Shooter
Old June 19, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Jen-from-IL

Wal-Mart Credit Card

Interesting. I would think GE Capital would have a clue that Wal-Mart sells the odd gun or box of ammunition.
Old June 19, 2013, 04:00 PM   #7
BarryLee

Quote:
how does GE rationalize dealing with WalMart
I think the issue is that GE wishes to maintain a “politically correct” image. However, the organization is not necessarily interested in conducting themselves in a truly ethical manner. Remember this is the same company that did business with Iran even after their support for terrorism was well known.

No, GE’s decision to deny financing to gun manufactures has little to do with an altruistic approach to business, but simply a desire to ride the latest politically correct wave and ultimately make more money.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old June 19, 2013, 04:16 PM   #8
twobit

When some of the major credit card companies started this "gun unfriendly" posture I got an NRA Visa. It is out of First National Bank of Omaha. I try and use it exclusively and have let my other cards wither away.....
Old June 19, 2013, 04:26 PM   #9
g.willikers

GE makes and sells the Miniguns.
Guess guns are ok if they profit by them.
Old June 19, 2013, 08:04 PM   #10
kilimanjaro

Carry a very small balance and pay them a dollar or two a month, they'll lose money carrying the account.
Old June 20, 2013, 12:37 AM   #11
wet

fyi

g.willikers, you must be vietnam era, dillon aero now makes the mini. I think
Old June 20, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
g.willikers

More like the Korean War era, (glad/sorry to say).
According to what I could find on the web, Garwood Industries and Dillon are listed as other makers of the Minigun.
With GE still mentioned as maker and supplier of parts.
Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by g.willikers; June 20, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old June 20, 2013, 08:49 AM   #13
spacecoast

Quote:
I think the issue is that GE wishes to maintain a “politically correct” image. However, the organization is not necessarily interested in conducting themselves in a truly ethical manner. Remember this is the same company that did business with Iran even after their support for terrorism was well known.

No, GE’s decision to deny financing to gun manufactures has little to do with an altruistic approach to business, but simply a desire to ride the latest politically correct wave and ultimately make more money.
+1. What it ultimately comes down to is... how do we make the most money and still appear to be PC to our friends in high places?
Old June 20, 2013, 02:44 PM   #14
TailGator

GE's credit arm is very large. Almost all the "same as cash" offers you see, for everything from mattresses to lawn mowers to CareCredit that is used for such things as hearing aids, glasses, and veterinary care, go through GE. You will see it if you read the fine print.
Old June 20, 2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
.....this is why we need legislation which clearly defends our constitutional right to keep and bear on private property as well as not allowing contractual infringements of that right.
GE is making no such infringement on that right. However, if you are going to argue that route, then you could argue that ANYTHING negative impacting the firearms industry would be unconstitutional and that would be downright silly.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:58 PM   #16
ClydeFrog

Bluebird?....

What about the AmEx Bluebird?
www.Bluebird.com

I use that often.
Old June 21, 2013, 09:23 PM   #17
hagar

Indian Express in the one company I utterly and truly despise, because I worked there, and I know what the company culture is. A more antigun and anti American company probably does not exist on US soil. I keep my card open, never spend any money on it, but I hope it is costing them money.
Old June 21, 2013, 09:30 PM   #18
BigD_in_FL

GE owns more crap than most folks can think about - airplanes, trains and train cars, trucks and trailers, ships and containers - they are involved in EVERYTHING - they are in the business of making money.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it - if the card is a good deal, then use it and enjoy life
Old June 22, 2013, 08:53 AM   #19
Rifleman1776

There is no avoiding doing business with anti-gun companies. There are way too many of them to avoid. Just one: Ford. Are you going to trash your truck or car now?
Old June 22, 2013, 09:40 AM   #20
g.willikers

Oh No.
Don't tell me.
I was just getting ready to replace my trusty old Ford truck with another Ford product.
Now what?
All the Asian manufacturers must hate us gun folks, just on principle.
Buy a model from one of the tax payer bailout companies?
Guess it's going to have to be a good ole' American Harley or Indian.
Old June 24, 2013, 02:51 PM   #21
Skans

Quote:
There is no avoiding doing business with anti-gun companies. There are way too many of them to avoid. Just one: Ford. Are you going to trash your truck or car now?
You do your best. Just like GE Capital does its best to not do business with firearms companies, but can't avoid doing business with WalMart. We can still target certain companies to shun. Is it fair to shun some anti-gun companies and not others? No. But, I don't care about fair. Target the weak or small anti-gun companies that are easy to boycott.
Old June 24, 2013, 03:49 PM   #22
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, how we doing with that? How many have we driven out of business or made change their ways with boycotts? Seems to me the only success stories I read are those where some concerned pro-gun person had a nice chat with the owner/manager of various individual stores and got the rules changed. Nasty, threatening of boycott chats, etc., along with actual boycotts, seem to regularly fail, unless bluster is how we gauge success.
Old June 24, 2013, 04:15 PM   #23
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike in Va.:

I noticed today, that my Wal-Mart credit card was issued by
G.E.Capital Credit.
As you may know, G.E. Capital Credit, recently issued a statement,
that they would not lend money to gun shops, or any firearms related
business.
If they won't do business with us, why should we do business with them ?
I will still patronize Wal-Mart, but use another credit card.
The Wal-Mart card went into the sredder.
I don't understand. If you refuse to use the GE credit card because they are anti-gun, why would you do business with a company like Wal-Mart that is in bed with them and uses them as the sponsor for their credit card? Isn't that like claiming you never voted for Obama, but still voted for Nancy Pelosi?

Those folks that want to curtail any involvement with anti-gun corporations might be surprised if they looked in depth at what constitutes the portfolio of their mutual funds...especially those securities currently earning the most income.
Old June 24, 2013, 10:40 PM   #24
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I don't understand. If you refuse to use the GE credit card because they are anti-gun, why would you do business with a company like Wal-Mart that is in bed with them and uses them as the sponsor for their credit card?
Now there's the rub, isn't it? We do a lot of blustering of convenience. We will boycott Autozone because they fired an employee for bringing a gun to work, but then we will buy autoparts made by companies who don't allow employees to carry at work from another company that if regional or national, likely doesn't allow their staff to carry either.

In short and as a group, we tend to fixate on whatever company is the anti-gun du jour, make a lot of noise about boycotts, then generally fail to do anything constructive that results in any sort of change in company behavior. The really ironic thing comes in the forms to justifications we use for supporting given companies that are anti-gun while at the same time protesting others.

Quote:
Those folks that want to curtail any involvement with anti-gun corporations might be surprised if they looked in depth at what constitutes the portfolio of their mutual funds...especially those securities currently earning the most income.
More of the irony, eh?