The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2013, 10:35 AM   #1
acdundore

Del-Ton DT Sport any good?

I am looking for a nice rifle to buy, and the DT sport crossed my mind (It is for sale at my local sporting goods store for about $700). Is it any good? This would be my first AR and most of the reviews say that it performs well. Does anyone that owns one have any comments about it?
Old June 5, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
sixxgunnernick

I had a Del Ton with a heavy duty barrel and it was pin point accurate.
Old June 5, 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
Quentin2

I'd look at other models. PSA and Spikes aren't that much more expensive and give you lots of configurations. (You can actually have it your way!)

One big problem with these economized ARs is you're stuck with that configuration - whatever the bean counters want yout to have. If you put a little research into your applications and which barrel (materials, length, weight, gas length), BCG, grips, stocks, etc. you want, odds are you'll want to compare models that can be configured more to your needs.
Old June 5, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Metal god

I have a complete DT E316 and I used a DT rifle kit to build with . Both rifles work great with no problems . I have not used the sport but the 2 big differences I see from the E316 is no M4 feed ramps and Light Weight Barrel/pencil . If I had to chose between the DT sport and the M&P sport I would take the DT sport . Only cus I have Del-ton products and Have no issues with them .

That all being said I agree with Quentin2 to the point that I would step up to the E316 at minimum . Right now you can get a great deal on a PSA complete rifle build kit with Magpul CTR stock minus the stripped lower . You then should be able to buy a stripped lower and put the whole thing together for under $900

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ctr-rifle-kit/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-receiver.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; June 5, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old June 6, 2013, 07:09 AM   #5
BillyJack3

Nothing wrong with that AR at that price. Good, basic AR. Get it, shoot it for a while and you'll better understand what you like and what you don't. You can upgrade as you please.

Tags
ar-15 , del ton , dt sport , review , rifle