The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 4, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
pturner67

AR-15 complete upper question (probably more for the Tula/WPA fans)

First off, this is not about your thoughts on Tula or WPA ammunition.

I finished my AR-15 lower build and I'm looking to buy a complete upper. My last upper was a mid-length Spikes and it functioned flawlessly with Tula and WPA. I'm not sure if it was because of the mid-length gas system, the ST-T2 buffer/spring combo, or both. My new lower build has the Spikes ST-T2 buffer and spring. All mil-spec, but not sure if that matters either.

I'm seeing some nice carbine length uppers out there and I'm tempted to buy one, but I am curious about the ability of a carbine-length upper to function well with Russian ammo.

Can you guys/gals give me some of your input on mid-length vs carbine-length and the effect on firing .223 Russian ammunition?

Thanks
Old June 7, 2013, 02:09 PM   #2
Sturmgewehre

I own a number of AR's and none of them are mid-length. I prefer the carbine length. I've yet to run into a problem with any of my rifles. I'm cheap as they come so I shoot mostly steel through my rifles... and have for about a decade.

That's not to say some rifles won't have problems with the steel. I know plenty of people have problems. I typically only buy Colt AR's but I've had good luck with my Stag rifles and my Windham rifles too.
Old June 7, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
DubC-Hicks

The carbine system causes higher pressure, so it will actually help with lower powered steel ammo. My Spikes M4LE ran with steel just fine.
Old June 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #4
pturner67

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback!
Old June 7, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
plouffedaddy

Quote:
The carbine system causes higher pressure, so it will actually help with lower powered steel ammo.
Correct.

I have several ARs, both mid-length and carbine systems and all run Wolf fine. The heaviest buffer I have in a middy is H1 and most are carbine weight for what it's worth.

Now, Tula is pretty much the only 223/9mm/45/40 ammo I won't buy. I had 3 malfunctions in one magazine with an AR that has about 3k through it with 0 malfunctions besides that 30 rounds of Tula---leads me to think ammo was the cause. I have a G21 that has thousands of rounds through it as well---0 malfunctions besides 3 out of the 50 round box of Tula I put through it. Again, leads me to think it was the ammo.

I know lots of guys like it but most of them seem to be shooting AKs and SKSs...
Old June 9, 2013, 01:01 PM   #6
pturner67

Thanks again. Def going with the carbine upper this time around.