The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #1
mmb713

Starline brass - trim or no?

I just got a couple new batches of Starline brass in 357 Magnum and 45 Colt. Do you think it's a good idea to trim them first or just load them as is. They all are below max and within .005" of each other. I've trimmed previous batches years ago but it is tedious. Was I just wasting my time?
Old June 1, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

Having them all the same length makes the crimp more consistant. The last 1k of .357 mag I purchased I just loaded and they worked fine.
Old June 1, 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
David Bachelder

I doub't if there is any need to trim. I never trim my pistol brass and it works fine. You do need to resize though.
Old June 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
TXGunNut

If they're under max and within .005" you'll likely never need to trim them. Check a few after 2-3 loads but revolver brass seldom grows.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 1, 2013, 04:43 PM   #5
chiefr

Over 40 yrs reloading handgun cartridges from 32 ACP to 500 S&W and I have never trimmed any handgun brass.
Old June 1, 2013, 05:10 PM   #6
velillen

Ive never trimmed my new starline pistol brass. Ive found it gets lost or damaged before it grows to long anyways.

But i hope its not a thread hijack but what do you guys feel about rifle brass? I just got some Starline 45-70 brass and it measures 2.100". Case trim length is listed as 1.995" with a max of 2.150". Do you guys always trim your new brass when its rifle or just shooting it as is till it needs to be trimmed?
Old June 1, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
chiefr

velillen
Ive never trimmed my new starline pistol brass. Ive found it gets lost or damaged before it grows to long anyways.

But i hope its not a thread hijack but what do you guys feel about rifle brass? I just got some Starline 45-70 brass and it measures 2.100". Case trim length is listed as 1.995" with a max of 2.150". Do you guys always trim your new brass when its rifle or just shooting it as is till it needs to be trimmed?
Today 04:43 PM

I always trim bottleneck rifle brass to the "Trim to" length. Even when new as the lengths vary.

With straight wall rifle cases, the story is different. I have rarely seen straight wall rifle brass stretch. I check straight wall rifle brass for stretch only after max loads. I can't think of any instance where I have seen straight wall rifle cases stretch. At least in calibers I reload: 444, 45-70, & 50-70.
Old June 2, 2013, 07:17 AM   #8
Mike / Tx

I'm a bit more OCD about lenght than anything else I guess. I also use Starline brass almost exclusively and have for close to 20yrs.

Usually when I pull out a new batch from the box, I will randomly measure 15 or so of them, pick the shortest one, and will at least square if not trim the whole batch to lenght. I then write that length on the bulk box for future reference so I can set up the next time.

Usually it only amounts to squaring the mouths a touch, but I feel it is important to have them as close to the same as possible for my own benefit if for no other reason. I found out years ago that just like loading for my rifles attention to the minor details pays off in the end. If I were simply loading blasting ammo to go to the range and tear up paper with, I doubt I would ever even bother. However I hunt with my revolvers from .357 up through my 454, and I feel I owe it to the game to do all I can to ensure my shot goes where it should, and not in some general region. I have found with careful attention it is relatively easy to tune up loads for my revolvers and get them to group repeatedly when every round is as close to the same as I can get them.

That said a 3-4" offhand group at 25yds don't fly well with me unless I am burning off rounds from my 1911. I shoot single action and expect groups of 1-2" at this range, and if I am doing my part not a whole lot more out to 50yd.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:11 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
I just got a couple new batches of Starline brass in 357 Magnum and 45 Colt. Do you think it's a good idea to trim them first or just load them as is. They all are below max and within .005" of each other. I've trimmed previous batches years ago but it is tedious. Was I just wasting my time?
Wasting your time.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 2, 2013, 10:00 AM   #10
boondocker385

I am relatively new to reloading but I shoot a lot of 357. They do grow and trimming to a universal length does matter. More consistent crimps means better accuracy.
Old June 2, 2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Roughedge

I've been loading 35 years and I never seen pistol grow, mine allways get shorter.
Old June 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #12
boondocker385

Interesting responses....with a variety of terms tossed about....in my mind pistol is short for automatic pistol not revolvers.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Roughedge

Here's what the dictionay says " Pistol-a short-barrelled handgun " We shoot 200 to 300 357's every weekend and I've never trimed one. They split after about ten loadings.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:18 PM   #14
arch308

If they are + or - .005 you are good to go in my book. Any more spread than that I have found causes inconsistant crimps. I will trim if needed. Heck, it's a hobby I enjoy so I like to take my time and do it right. It doesn't happen much anymore but there's nothing more embarassing than to have your gun jamming on your reloads at the range. And with the revolver rounds a consistent crimp helps with making consistent ammo.
If I was in a hurry I'd invest in a fancy press instead of my old single stage.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:44 PM   #15
boondocker385

The guy with the most stuff is dead and doesn't possess anything.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
reloader28

+1 for Mike/Tx
Trim them to get more for consistancy and accuracy.
Heck, I even anneal them (the brass, not those stupid nickel plated ones)when they start splitting and get more and more reloads from them.
Old June 3, 2013, 06:48 PM   #17
JaxJim

I always trim new brass. It makes the crimp more uniform across that batch.
Old June 5, 2013, 06:19 AM   #18
stevelyn

I run all of my new brass through the resizer and trim them to their trim-to-length. That way I know they are all uniform and the case mouths are square.

It also simplifies things with bullet seating and crimping especially when roll crimping revolver rounds.

Then again I've always been a little OCD about my quality control.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.