The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1
zcrenna

TUL AMMO small rifle (non mag) primers ok for AR15 loads??

Hey guys,
I recently bought 5000 TUL AMMO small rifle primers to reload in my M&P 15t.
I didn't order the magnum primers, just the regular small rifle.
Got them from midsouthShooterssupply. Item #112-KVB223.

Earlier I had read that TUL primers were fine and now I'm reading a few threads and reviews and guys are saying you're supposed to get the small rifle Magnum primers if you are loading an AR..
Not everyone, just some guys are saying go with the magnums and others are saying go with the regular small rifle.

I'll be doing some starting loads first and working up to About 25 grains RE15, 69grain SMKs, and I guess these TUL primers.

I have time to cancel the order before they ship, in case I ordered the wrong ones.

Could someone please advise if I purchased the proper primers for my needs??
I'm just plinking these days.

Thanks a lot
Old June 1, 2013, 08:41 PM   #2
zcrenna

I'll just take a moment to answer my own question here...

Despite several people around the interwebs saying TULA SRPs are not designed for 223 AR loads, there are many other sources which negate this.
Apparently the "new" version of TULAs SRPs (the KVB223) was newly designed for 223 loads in AR15s to handle a problem encountered in the past, with their "old" SRPs where they would sometimes accidentally slamfire in ARs.
So apparently the talk about "TULA SRPs not reliable for AR reloads" is based on old information.

I'm safe

..and I have 5000 primers on the way!!!