The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 3, 2013, 12:04 PM   #26
TX Hunter

We have a Yugo 59 and a Chinese type 56. The Yugo is the early model before the grenade launchers were added. The Yugo is much more robust and very well made, but I prefer to carry the Chinese its lighter and slimmer. We got lucky both rifles are in great shape with good bores and the Chinese has a great crown. I didnt want a 59 66.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:20 PM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
Do you think the Yugo's configuration makes it more accurate? Some have said its 3 dot sights and extra weight improves its performance. Is this correct?
I have read that chrome-lined barrels are, theoretically at least, slightly less accurate than non-chrome-lined barrels. Also the grenade launcher of the Yugo would probably serve to help protect the muzzle crown from getting dinged up. Finally, the extra weight of the Yugo certainly reduces recoil noticeably (not that SKS's are hard kickers to begin with).
Old June 3, 2013, 08:08 PM   #28
Flakbait

I thought Chinese made semi-auto rifles like SKS have been banned from importation for the last decade or so. I wonder where these Chinese SKS have been hiding which have recently hit the market since I have not seen them for sale until recently. Perhaps the difficulty of obtaining a Chinese SKS may factor into your decision.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:17 PM   #29
tahunua001

Quote:
I thought Chinese made semi-auto rifles like SKS have been banned from importation for the last decade or so. I wonder where these Chinese SKS have been hiding which have recently hit the market since I have not seen them for sale until recently. Perhaps the difficulty of obtaining a Chinese SKS may factor into your decision.
norinco(north china industries company) is banned from import. the chinese SKS you see flooding the market now are all military surplus that were made prior to 1963. since they are 50 years old they are exempted as curios and relics.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:20 PM   #30
Enfielder

You really scored on that selection. That Yugo 59/66 looks like it just came from the factory. I've had a couple of Chinese Type 56's, and I still have the "paratrooper" model w/a folding stock, 30 rd. mag., and other embellishments. I recently purchased a well-used Yugo 59/66 with a stock that I swear looks like open grain whiteoak. I found out why the guy was in such a hurry to sell it. It wouldn't re-chamber a round after being fired with the gas valve set in the semi-auto position. A few minutes of online sleuthing and I had a gas valve replacement kit ordered from Murray's in Bowie, TX., for $21 total. It was a simple change out, and now this old warhorse cycles like a new one. As far as any accuracy differences, either model is more accurate than I am. I'm not trying to kid myself, either of these with open sights shoot as accurate as my Mod. 336 Marlin (for me at least). If you use corrosive ammo, use some Windex w/ammonia to neutralize the acidic combustion byproducts, and don't worry about rust in either weapon.